Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
    AoT spoiler:

40 Ha'taks then, and Annubis super ship was SO EASILY DESTROYED by the drones.

Now, even with the Apollo at Earth, against 7 Ori ships, Landry believes they STAND NO CHANCE whatsoever...Keep in mind we have a good working ZPM with tones of power and 1000's of drones!!!

Thus, as I have been saying all along, Ori shields are UBER POWERFUL.
    Ori sheilds are the most powerful we've seen other than atlantis. The oddy had problems dealing with 2/3 ori ships, 7 for the appollo that didn't even have a ZPM would be almost impossible.
    Best quotes ever:
    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
    Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
    Thor:I like the yellow ones
    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Even with all three ships plus human shield Ha'Taks Earths defences could not hold unless they used that ZPM that Camulus gave the SGC-you know that explosive one-the Ori have prevented Beaming through shield fluctuations, what about beaming it outside the ship in between all of the Ori ships

Comment

3 upgraded Daedalus class (with beams, latest Asgard shields), and the drone platform would be sufficient to hold off against the first wave of Ori ships. Not destroy them all, but make them withdraw with casualties.

3 Upgraded Daedalus class would have equalled the fleet Annubis send to Earth. If all had ZPM's, Annubis fleet=destroyed for sure.

Upgraded Annubis Ha'tak:

Worse case scenario: 1 Asgard beam takes out shields, 2nd destroy its.
        Once targeted, 2 Asgard beams = 1 second real time.

Worse case scenario: 2 Asgard beams takes out Super Ha'tak shields, 1 destroys it.

Best case: Ha'tak, Super Ha'tak destroyed by 1 Asgard beam, which just goes right through the shields. This is a possiblity, seeing the shield penetrating power of the beams.

Comment

3 upgraded Daedalus class (with beams, latest Asgard shields), and the drone platform would be sufficient to hold off against the first wave of Ori ships. Not destroy them all, but make them withdraw with casualties.
          Spoiler:
          Only the Apollo was available, the Oddy was in the Ori galaxy and the Daedalus must've been in Pegasus and what makes you think the AoT was set after the Apollo received the upgrades? Sam is still a member of SG-1 so it had to be set before Atlantis S4.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobberman View Post
            Spoiler:
            Only the Apollo was available, the Oddy was in the Ori galaxy and the Daedalus must've been in Pegasus and what makes you think the AoT was set after the Apollo received the upgrades? Sam is still a member of SG-1 so it had to be set before Atlantis S4.
            From everything I've read *including other peoples posts* AoT and Continuum is set before Atlantis S4, I see the sense in the speculation put forward to support this so I am inclined to believe it aswell...

Comment

Satellite weapons take forever to charge, so ineffective against a fleet.
              Either Lantean or Ori.

Promethus couldn't destory the Ori satellite because the weapons were garbage. If it had Asgard ion cannons, the satellite would be dead, or better yet Asgard lasers.

The best ships weapon is the Asgard lasers: 3 lasers, super rapid burst.

There is only a very remote possibility that the Ancients had anything better than a Aurora.

In war, the Asgard would have owned the Ancients.
              Actually nothing we've seen shows the Asgard could have owned the ancients.

Oh please we've got evidence from the characters mouths proving the Ancients had different classes. E.g. delegation of their most powerful ships. All evidence from the show points to the Aurora being the mainline warship not the best of the best. It's all been said the ancients tried to build bigger and better ships. It stands to reason that these would not be the apparently numerous Aurora class.

The fact is imo that the Ancients did have more powerful ships than the Aurora, we just don't know how much stronger they are. However it would be quite easy for the ancients to build a ship able to mop the floor with an Asgard upgraded 304 or any other Asgard concoction.

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
              They would selectively take out ships, they wouldn't just clear a whole galaxy. We do know that the asgard had the plasma beams, so why wouldn't they have them on their warships. You're right, if the aurora fired drones by the hundreds like in no mans land, then it would win, unless we had the element of suprise which IMO was a crap excuse. The beams can take out auroras in 2 shots, the drones would probably take longer to fire, so maybe both would be destroyed
              We know the Ancients had satellite weapons far more powerful than the Asgard beams, why couldn't they have them on ships? You see the logic works both ways. No asgard vessel has been seen with those energy beams, and if it was a fight between an Oneill and an Aurora I'd bet on the Aurora. Now if you want to hypothetically say the Asgard build a ship with their best technology and that could beat the Aurora then fine, but I'm saying if the Ancients built a ship with their best technology it would still beat the Asgard. See what I'm saying?

The Asgard beams are very effective, in a battle with 2 ships with equal shields I may go for the beam weapons over drones because they're probably faster. However if it's a single ship vs say 15 enemies or 30 enemies I'd take the drones any day. There's no way if the ancient outpost in Anartica was armed with the beam weapons that it could have destroyed Anubis's fleet like the drones did.
              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

I have a theory as to why the New Asgard beam weapons are more effective than the old style weapons. It also explains why they are blue in coloration as well. The beams appear blue, because the energy beam operates on a short bandwidth. Also, as a result of operating on the shorter bandwidth, the majority of the energy is being focused into a very tight area (more so than usual), thus placing more stress at the point of impact than a traditional beam. In essence it packs more of a punch because it condenses the power being released into a smaller area. This creates more effect from less effort. I dunno... it sound plausible. Don't you think?
                The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

"The fact is imo that the Ancients did have more powerful ships than the Aurora, we just don't know how much stronger they are. However it would be quite easy for the ancients to build a ship able to mop the floor with an Asgard upgraded 304 or any other Asgard concoction."

Nothing suggest they could though. Asurans knew everything the Ancients did, and the 304's owned their ships.

Ori ships, built with the help of Ascended beings = upgraded Odyssey beat that. So WTF do you think mere mortal Ancients could do any better???

Exactly, nada.

BTW, a regular O'Neill minus the beams would defeat an Aurora one-on-one. Far far better shields, and the Aurora's appears to no longer be able to fire off great many drones at once...

Satellite weapon? Did you see the charge time for that? Plus, I very much doubt it could punch through shields like the Asgard beams (designed specifically to take out the greatest shields we seen on warships, Ori). Ancient satellite weapon: Designed to take out Hives.

Comment

"The fact is imo that the Ancients did have more powerful ships than the Aurora, we just don't know how much stronger they are. However it would be quite easy for the ancients to build a ship able to mop the floor with an Asgard upgraded 304 or any other Asgard concoction."

Nothing suggest they could though. Asurans knew everything the Ancients did, and the 304's owned their ships.
                    Joe Mallozi actually said the Asuran ships weren't as good as the true ancient ships. We have no idea if the Asurans knew everything the ancients did. And EVERYTHING suggests the ancients could build something. Power their ships with a ZPM, give it satellite weapons and give it a large drone silo to fire thousands of the damn things, easily trumps Asgard. Explain to me how a ancient ship with ZPMs, beam weapons and drone launching capabilities like the relatively small Anartic outpost could be beaten by the Asgard.

Ori ships, built with the help of Ascended beings = upgraded Odyssey beat that. So WTF do you think mere mortal Ancients could do any better???

Exactly, nada.
                    Well Atlantis can beat the Odyssey and even not factoring in Atlantis a ship incorporating an weapons platform like the one on Earth would wipe the floor with the Odyssesy.

BTW, a regular O'Neill minus the beams would defeat an Aurora one-on-one. Far far better shields, and the Aurora's appears to no longer be able to fire off great many drones at once...
                    Evidence? Oneills are over rated, the Asgard weren't confident that they could take on the Goa'uld when the Goa'uld had numerical superiority after Anubis returned with his ancient knock offs. A true Aurora would beat the hell out of an Oneill. We've seen Auroras fire that many drones at once before so they're obviously capable of it.

Satellite weapon? Did you see the charge time for that? Plus, I very much doubt it could punch through shields like the Asgard beams (designed specifically to take out the greatest shields we seen on warships, Ori). Ancient satellite weapon: Designed to take out Hives.
                    The charge time wasn't that great it just short circuited. With a ZPM it could probably fire extremely fast. It cut a hive ship in half, it takes several hits for Asgard beams to punch through smaller and weaker hulls. The ancient satellite is clearly far superior.
                    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Did it really? only kills were unfair kills, 304s hitting unshielded Auroras, and at most for that battle the 304s only had 3 Aurora kills (2 are unconfirmed). The work of 2 304s in 3 minutes, in the end the Apollo was on its knees. Not exactly owning.

whose to say that the Ori put their best into those ships? They could have just put enough to make them eclipse us, and from what you have spoiled for some of us you said that the ori have 50+ ships, so it seems they were going for overwhelming numbers rather than single individual super powers.

And the asgard weaponry was only proven to beat the shields nothing else. Can you conclude by that alone that their shields are stronger or weaker than the Ori's, no. Weapons, no. Hyperdrives, no.

First off we don't know how strong the Oniell's shields are considering we only seen them fight once, and that was CGI goof because it was supposed to be a science vessel. And secondly there is nothing to compare it too, no ancient ship or any of its enemies have fought the Asgard. It seems that you just count the times a shield is hit and put that into the skewed Stargate technological hierarchy you made with the Asgard on top to determine who's stronger. It doesn't work that way.

Since when were ori shields without a doubt the best? The charge time may have been long, it also may not have been because we dont know how long it took, we just know it was, and that it could fire in rapid succession. And how fast it cut through several km of hive only shows that it was designed to release gargantuan amounts of power, i am confident that those would probably take out almost any ship with ease.
                      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
                        Low powered came from the fact that it was charged using a naquada generator. The confined bit was about how narrow the beam was, and to be effective against shield systems basically you need the maximum amount of energy on the smallest spot to have any kind of piercing ability. Say if you threw a book at a wall with the book hitting with its flattest side compared to a dart-which is more likely to pierce the wall-the same thing applies to energy weapons and shields
                        Orii beams are fat. They pierce fine.

Comment

The concentration of the beam was in question-as long as it is concentrated size is irrelavent. Just look how Goa'uld staff cannon blasts were spread over the Ori motherships shields quite harmlessly while beam weapons from the Oddessy clearly pierced the Ori Ship shields. True there are other factors as discussed earlier but beam confinement does affect how much piercing capability a weapon has no matter what the beams size is

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post

The charge time wasn't that great it just short circuited. With a ZPM it could probably fire extremely fast. It cut a hive ship in half, it takes several hits for Asgard beams to punch through smaller and weaker hulls. The ancient satellite is clearly far superior.
                            I think the charge time of the sattelite weapon was a problem for the Ancients as well. In "Trinity" they discover a ground based version of the satellite weapon where the Ancients were trying to soup up their weapons with "Project Arcturus". The new power source meant they could fire multiple bursts without having to store more power.

It seems even with a ZPM their beam weapons were slow to charge. Also the weapon in "Trinity" hit the Daedalus several times, and the Daedalus sustained no damage. So I doubt the satellite weapon from the Siege could penetrate decent shields.

Comment

It wasnt a gound based version, you can tell by the looks of it and that It was built by the Dorandans rather than the ancients

SHEPPARD: The outpost was ordered by the Ancients in Atlantis to defend the Dorandan people using their weapons powered by this new power source.
                              Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                                It wasnt a gound based version, you can tell by the looks of it and that It was built by the Dorandans rather than the ancients

SHEPPARD: The outpost was ordered by the Ancients in Atlantis to defend the Dorandan people using their weapons powered by this new power source.
                                It was probably also designed to do damage to wraith hulls as apposed to sheilds. Thats a posible reason why the deady sustained very little damage.
                                Best quotes ever:
                                O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                                Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                                Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                                Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                                Thor:I like the yellow ones
                                O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X