Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PROOF: Aurora-class has more than drones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
    Considering the fact that the core is - frankly - tiny compared to the rest of the ship, it stands to reason that the small "power source" serves no function greater than that of the (probably about the same sized) power source of a DHD, or of the Tantalus repository, etc.

Ie, to power the systems contained within the units themselves. Primary ships systems, on the other hand, require an energy source capable of delivering a high power (wattage, amperage, etc) sustained power flow. Normally this is achieved through energy GENERATION systems, where matter (commonly in the form of fissionable material) is converted into energy at a rate much higher than is capable of being delivered from lesser power sources. This is the reason why you can't simply hook 20 Naquadah generators up to a gate and dial Pegasus, or power Atlantis' shield. In Atlantis, 6 generators provide enough power flow to the conduits to keep the lights on and dial the gate locally, but not enough to power the shield.

The MAIN reason for this within the Stargate universe is that often, power generation isn't the problem, it's miniaturization of these facilities to an appropriate size for transport. The notable exception to this case, however, is the ZPM - which, rather than converting conventional elements into energy, simply draws "vaccuum energy" from subspace (a dodgy concept, but one with an obvious benefit nonetheless). By avoiding the conventional approaches of fission/fusion reactions, you avoid the heat and chemical reaction rate problems which plague conventional power generation technologies. For example, a nuclear reactor must be efficiently cooled to prevent "meltdown" and contain the harmful reactants - this reduces the overall wattage of the system, and causes large amounts of energy to be lost through transfer to the surroundings. A ZPM essentially operates as a heatless, 100% efficient closed-system; a method that no other race, so far as we know, has mastered.

The likelihood is that the "power source" in the Asgard computer core is simply a small device similar to a Naquadah generator or DHD fusion reactor. Small, low power flow, and practically useless compared to the ZPM for powering primary systems.

Anyone who tries to argue the other side of the point is, frankly, an idiot.
    The ZPM is an ingenious idea. I wouldn't say it's a dodgy concept, it's an accepted theory that energy could be given off by particle-antiparticle reactions. Nonetheless, I agree with you, I believe it was a powersource as apposed to a generator designed to power the ship, looking at the size of the asgard NIG they would much more than enough power for the cc, also there was no evidence for it in the show and an NIG would be big enough to show up on screen or at least have a hint of it.
    Best quotes ever:
    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
    Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
    Thor:I like the yellow ones
    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

By the way, there is an Asgard Power Core. That was powering the ships systems alongside the ZPM and whatever a Daedalus Class Ship uses. It was emitting the signature that attracted the Ori ships to it. That was disconnected from the hyperdrive, but still connected to the other systems.
      Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Shadow Quinn View Post
        By the way, there is an Asgard Power Core. That was powering the ships systems alongside the ZPM and whatever a Daedalus Class Ship uses. It was emitting the signature that attracted the Ori ships to it. That was disconnected from the hyperdrive, but still connected to the other systems.
        AOT spoiler! Not huge, but you've been warned.

Spoiler:
        Not true, AOT shows that the core is completely turned off. As soon as it turned on and used for anything it alerts the Ori.

Comment

Tracking the core is a plot device (hole).

HTF can they track it across 1000's, heck millions of light years way. Stupid.

As stupid as disallowing Asuran Aurora's to fire dozens of drones at once, plot device.

Otherwise, the MW Replicators would have definitely tracked every Asgard ship, and so would the Ori.

Comment

JSP the point is: the core's powersource creates s type of energy slightly different from electricity. when interfaced with human technology, the strange energy signature occurs. i think that in AOT the core was reconnected to the hyperdrive, but that without the core everything could still be operated. now if it is turned on it emits some kind of energy signature through the hyperdrive, making it trackable through subspace. that why ,in unending, the core had to be severed from the hyperdrive. the hyperdrive emitted the energy signature, making it trackable from hyperspace.

so the energy signature occurs when asgard powersources power earth technology.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              so the energy signature occurs when asgard powersources power earth technology.
              They don't. The asgard computer is a CONTROL interface, not a power interface. The systems draw their power from the ZPM, as has already been established.

Anyway, as far as my comment earlier about ZPM's being a "dodgy concept", I was referring to the fact that Vacuum/Zero Point Energy is only present in an universe that contains large amounts of matter and/or free energy. It's caused by things like base levels of radiation, gamma rays, gravitational and magnetic field interactions, etc.

The reason why the way ZPMs work is "dodgy" is because ZPMs use ARTIFICIALLY created mini-universes, and then draw ZPE from those universes. The "maximum entropy" issue is that the active (rather than passive) drain of this energy causes the creation of exotic particles which eventually build up and lead to the destruction/nullification of that artificial universe.

The problem with this concept is that the lynchpin of it - the creation of an artifical universe with matter/energy contained within it - would actually require the use of more energy than the ZPM would be able to return in the first place. So essentially you'd have to have an immensely powerful alternate power supply in order to CREATE the ZPM in the first place.

AH! BRAINWAVE!

That may be why ZPMs are so rare in the SG universe. We know that the Lanteans used geothermal drilling platforms to tap massive amounts of energy from a planets' core - it could very well be that the ZPM "factories" essentially used massive arrays of geothermal generators to create the artificial universes contained within ZPMs - essentially the Lantean equivelant of charging up a battery.

In which case, that may explain why the Ancients lost the war against the Wraith in the first place. If the Wraith were able to take out the ZPM factory planets - or the planteary cores burnt out / dried up - the Lanteans would be stuck for a renewable power source. The construction of the drilling platform on Atlantis may have even occurred AFTER this happened as a way of extending their ability to generate the shield while submerged at the expense of reducing the lifespan of Lantea.

This would also explain why the Asuran offshoot faction were "unable to obtain a sufficient number of ZPMs", if creating them is actually a difficult, time-sensitive process and not simply a matter of pressing a button and having a ZPM pop out. It would also further explain why there's no ZPM factory in Atlantis itself, since Atlantis is designed as a floating base with no known facilities for excavation/drilling.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
                They don't. The asgard computer is a CONTROL interface, not a power interface. The systems draw their power from the ZPM, as has already been established.

Anyway, as far as my comment earlier about ZPM's being a "dodgy concept", I was referring to the fact that Vacuum/Zero Point Energy is only present in an universe that contains large amounts of matter and/or free energy. It's caused by things like base levels of radiation, gamma rays, gravitational and magnetic field interactions, etc.

The reason why the way ZPMs work is "dodgy" is because ZPMs use ARTIFICIALLY created mini-universes, and then draw ZPE from those universes. The "maximum entropy" issue is that the active (rather than passive) drain of this energy causes the creation of exotic particles which eventually build up and lead to the destruction/nullification of that artificial universe.

The problem with this concept is that the lynchpin of it - the creation of an artifical universe with matter/energy contained within it - would actually require the use of more energy than the ZPM would be able to return in the first place. So essentially you'd have to have an immensely powerful alternate power supply in order to CREATE the ZPM in the first place.

AH! BRAINWAVE!

That may be why ZPMs are so rare in the SG universe. We know that the Lanteans used geothermal drilling platforms to tap massive amounts of energy from a planets' core - it could very well be that the ZPM "factories" essentially used massive arrays of geothermal generators to create the artificial universes contained within ZPMs - essentially the Lantean equivelant of charging up a battery.

In which case, that may explain why the Ancients lost the war against the Wraith in the first place. If the Wraith were able to take out the ZPM factory planets - or the planteary cores burnt out / dried up - the Lanteans would be stuck for a renewable power source. The construction of the drilling platform on Atlantis may have even occurred AFTER this happened as a way of extending their ability to generate the shield while submerged at the expense of reducing the lifespan of Lantea.

This would also explain why the Asuran offshoot faction were "unable to obtain a sufficient number of ZPMs", if creating them is actually a difficult, time-sensitive process and not simply a matter of pressing a button and having a ZPM pop out. It would also further explain why there's no ZPM factory in Atlantis itself, since Atlantis is designed as a floating base with no known facilities for excavation/drilling.
                That never really occured to me, but with that drilling platform wouldn't they be able to create some from the energy, or perhaps that what it was used for, it was the last one in PG. With that much energy involved it wouldn't be safe to have a facility on atlantis.
                Nice theory
                Best quotes ever:
                O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

i was just wondering about all the 'older' threads i was reading a while ago saying 'earth' is too powerfull with all the agard upgards.

still think this is the case when facing Aurora class ships? and that was only ONE ship we saw!!!!!

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Our ships prior to the upgrades did not have the latest Asgard shields and they did not have sufficient power (execpt Odyssey) compared to the O'Neill class.

Now with the latest shield upgrades, and if sufficient power is going to the shields (Asgard generator or ZPM), those shields will make Earth ships nearly invincible. Ark to Truth showed what the Odyssey was capable to withstanding.

The beam weapons will take out shields fast, and slice into ships. Any Aurora is no match one-on-one against Earth ships with the latest upgrades (minus Asgard generator or ZPM). With Asgard generator or ZPM, Earth ships can handle 2-3 Aurora's.

Comment

Bold:

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                      Our ships prior to the upgrades did not have the latest Asgard shields and they did not have sufficient power (execpt Odyssey) compared to the O'Neill class.

Now with the latest shield upgrades, and if sufficient power is going to the shields (Asgard generator or ZPM), those shields will make Earth ships nearly invincible. Ark to Truth showed what the Odyssey was capable to withstanding.

That was just a major plot hole... the shields were unchanged from "Unending", that's a fact. It was just TPTB's trying to make more drama by letting the shields somehow take 4 times more punishment.

The beam weapons will take out shields fast, and slice into ships. Any Aurora is no match one-on-one against Earth ships with the latest upgrades (minus Asgard generator or ZPM). With Asgard generator or ZPM, Earth ships can handle 2-3 Aurora's.

Did you even watch that clip? The weapons hardly did anything against an Aurora.
                      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

With the sheilds, the asgard cc was regulating power to give the sheilds the maximum sheilding capabilities, the oddy didn't move or fire it just sat there taking it, thats why it lasted so long.
                        Best quotes ever:

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post

i doubt 2-3 auroras have you noticed how powerfull they are
                          sigpic
                          Sig For Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cban View Post
                            i doubt 2-3 auroras have you noticed how powerfull they are
                            We'vce never seen a fully powered aurora but looking at the damage done in the BASMR promo it looks as if it could take out several.
                            Best quotes ever:

Comment

Well from my observations I can see that their secondary weapons look much more like anti-fighter weapons than anything else. They are too thin and short to do any serious damage.

I'm guessing they cannot use tons of drones for a reason. Maybe they underestimate us or they want to capture us or something. Maybe the gene thing but I doubt it...
                              Last edited by Gala; 31 December 2007, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gala View Post
                                Well from my observations I can see that their secondary weapons look much more like anti-fighter weapons than anything else. They are too thin and short to do any serious damage.

I'm guessing they cannot use tons of drones for a reason. Maybe they underestimate us or they want to capture us or something.
                                I would put the slow fire down to tactics, we can and we have almost no grasp on their tech so the race that built it should be able to.
                                Best quotes ever:

Comment

Working...
                                X