Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever think the Wraith are going to get some shields?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Their tech seems to be very inefficient, their hyperdrives for example. If their sheilds are very inefficeint then it wouldn't make sense to implement them unless they had a huge power supply such as a ZPM.

Also, perhaps they tried putting sheilds on ships but they were unable to use them for some reason eg. their darts couldn't fly in and out of them. Just some thoughts.
    Best quotes ever:
    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
    Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
    Thor:I like the yellow ones
    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

When the Wraith get ZPM's or something like that in order to power such a large shield, it will be possible, the Wraith obviously have shields, the dart canopy is a shield, the Asuran trap in "Reunion" and such.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
        When the Wraith get ZPM's or something like that in order to power such a large shield, it will be possible, the Wraith obviously have shields, the dart canopy is a shield, the Asuran trap in "Reunion" and such.

Vala,
        The wraith must have a powersource close to a ZPM to get their ships about Already, I just think it's a case they don't know how to make shields on a large scale, both your examples were very small shields.

They may get shields soon if the Asgard upgrades proove extremely effective against their ships.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
          The wraith must have a powersource close to a ZPM to get their ships about Already, I just think it's a case they don't know how to make shields on a large scale, both your examples were very small shields.

They may get shields soon if the Asgard upgrades proove extremely effective against their ships.
          Yeah, but it probably operates with a buffer like all the other ships' shields, the Atlantis shield has no buffer since the ZPM can deliver a constant amount of energy, if the Wraith tried to put shields around hive ships, they would need a buffer and it would probably run out of energy fast. Considering the Wraith and Asgard power sources are similar in output to a ZPM, but not in durration, it may be possible to have shields, although for a short time, the buffer would run out quickly, but not long enough to be worthwhile. Remember hive ships are several MILES long, the Asgard ships were nowhere close to being even a mile long. Try putting a shield several miles in diameter without a ZPM and see how long it'll last even with the best non-ZPM power source and the biggest and best buffer. Maybe, MAYBE a cruiser could have shields but definately not a hive ship without a ZPM.

Vala,

Comment

Yeah, but it probably operates with a buffer like all the other ships' shields, the Atlantis shield has no buffer since the ZPM can deliver a constant amount of energy, if the Wraith tried to put shields around hive ships, they would need a buffer and it would probably run out of energy fast. Considering the Wraith and Asgard power sources are similar in output to a ZPM, but not in durration, it may be possible to have shields, although for a short time, the buffer would run out quickly, but not long enough to be worthwhile. Remember hive ships are several MILES long, the Asgard ships were nowhere close to being even a mile long. Try putting a shield several miles in diameter without a ZPM and see how long it'll last even with the best non-ZPM power source and the biggest and best buffer. Maybe, MAYBE a cruiser could have shields but definately not a hive ship without a ZPM.

Vala,
            Isn't that all just an assumption that the Hives use a buffer though? I don't think anything we've seen has backed that up. Also you said the Wraith and Asgard powersources are similar in output to a ZPM but not in duration but we've never seen a Hive run out of power have we?

Comment

Isn't that all just an assumption that the Hives use a buffer though? I don't think anything we've seen has backed that up. Also you said the Wraith and Asgard powersources are similar in output to a ZPM but not in duration but we've never seen a Hive run out of power have we?
              We haven't seen an Asgard ship run out of power either but we have heard of their shields failing (Replicator and Anubis attacks) meaning the buffer was drained, we never heard of the Asgard running out of shots (weapons use a buffer as well) or the Wraith but my point is that IF the Wraith had shields, they wouldn't last long because the buffer NOT the power source would be drained and the buffer basically drains faster than it can be recharged when shields are active on just about all ships. Plus, weapons don't utilize as much energy as shields do, a shield is all around the ship while weapons are just a quick pulse. Weapons use much less energy, they are all buffer-based but shields run out faster than weapons for that very reason.

Vala,

Comment

We haven't seen an Asgard ship run out of power either but we have heard of their shields failing (Replicator and Anubis attacks) meaning the buffer was drained, we never heard of the Asgard running out of shots (weapons use a buffer as well) or the Wraith but my point is that IF the Wraith had shields, they wouldn't last long because the buffer NOT the power source would be drained and the buffer basically drains faster than it can be recharged when shields are active on just about all ships. Plus, weapons don't utilize as much energy as shields do, a shield is all around the ship while weapons are just a quick pulse. Weapons use much less energy, they are all buffer-based but shields run out faster than weapons for that very reason.

Vala,
                Yeah alright about the Asgard but where is the proof the Wraith Hives use buffers?

Comment

He said they would use a buffer if they had shields, it's the most secure way to have a shield on a ship, cause if you get an Atlantis like shield, if the shield collapses, there's no power, no power, no life support -> in space = death.

Comment

Originally posted by Alendra View Post
                    He said they would use a buffer if they had shields, it's the most secure way to have a shield on a ship, cause if you get an Atlantis like shield, if the shield collapses, there's no power, no power, no life support -> in space = death.
                    Oh right, thanks for clearing that up. So basically the Ancients were dumb to use a ZPM powered shield on Atlantis as it was a ship as well as a base?

Comment

I think they made Atlantis as a mobile base, not to be used for being a long time in space (other than traveling), but rather being landed.

Comment

Actually, I'm a she. But that is what I meant.

Vala,

Comment

Or maybe Todd will take a look in the shield category of the Ancient database.
                          sigpic
                          i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

Comment

It don't matter, the Asgard are gone anyway.

We have of course not seen Hive ships run out of power.

And that would be seriously UNCOOOL. no?

Anyway, I thought I should have my say, because I started this thread.

Anyway, You didn't answer the question which is of course: do you think the Wraith are going to get some shields.
                            sigpic
                            i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

Comment

Oh right, thanks for clearing that up. So basically the Ancients were dumb to use a ZPM powered shield on Atlantis as it was a ship as well as a base?

No, because the ZPM supplies the best ammount of power for the longest time possible, as per their knowledge, because if they found something that worked better I doubt they would have hesitated to switch to that type of power source.
                              sigpic

Comment

I think they made Atlantis as a mobile base, not to be used for being a long time in space (other than traveling), but rather being landed.
                                How about, they needed something BIG AND AWESOME to take them to a New Land Far, Far, Away.

Remember how Daniel read the tablet on Abydos and the first couple of episodes in season 9, explaining more about how the Ancients became, 'Ancients.'
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X