This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wise one View Post
    if wraith hives or their ships had shields i wouldnt expect them to be near the level of asgard shields i would think the wraith shields if they did have them would be so not advanced than the asgard or even the ori

the wraith have been or created a little more of 10,000 years and the gouald technology like their shields were still no match for an asgard ship
    i agree there level of tech most likely resembles the gouald, the only reason they are strong is the shear size of there ships and the numbers
    Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
    Anime signature in spoiler tag
    Spoiler:
    Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
      i agree there level of tech most likely resembles the gouald, the only reason they are strong is the shear size of there ships and the numbers
      I agree with that aswell.

Comment

from what i've heard, ancients shields are some of the most powerful out there. maybe not the auroras sheilds but atlantis's sheild is the most powerful out there becuase what i have heard is that the is completly inpentrable as long as they have enough power. the ori shields flucuated when we fired on them and they dropped after a handfull of shots so that doesnt make them more powerful than an ancient city ship. i mena the city shield held back an ocean for over 3,000 years with one zpm and rodey said it would last almost indefinatly if there was no fire on it. so that makes the city sheilds the most powerful shields in the stargate universe

Comment

I thought shields were basically only as good as there power source Remember when the Dedalus arrived with its ZPM shielding? Shields work on a buffer of enegery the theory being the longer it takes for the buffer to recharge the less efective the shield becomes but with something drawing zeropiont energy the power source is constant and high allowin gthe buffers to stay fully charged longer!

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
            The Wraith firepower is devastating, it looks like ion cannon fire, and the Hives have great many of these cannons.

Now if the Wraith ships had say powerful shields (Asgard level or just below) then even if Ancients ships were as powerful as the Ori, vastly superior numbers of the Wraith would take them down.

It just does not make any sense why Ancients shields on their regular ships would be this weak. They should have Ori like shield strength.

Even if the Ancients were completely caught off guard, and they had to hastily build ships, one would think they would do a better job eventually.

In essence, in order for Earth ships survive Hives, the Hives were downgraded, in order for Hives to beat Ancient ships, Ancient ships were downgraded.
            Ok, I think people are First, forgetting the biggest thing about Wraith ships. So they have no shielding, but who needs shielding when any damage you take gets healed over time anyway? Keep in mind everyone, wraith ships are part organic and heal themselves. Maybe its because they have a organic based ship and technology that they cannot use shields on their ships.

Second, are we forgetting we couldnt even DENT a hive ship without the Satellite weapon, and even when we finally got a ship there, it couldnt do anything but take hits and run. We had to use beaming technology just to stand a chance against the wraith. Our only upside was that we had shielding tech that is overall, better than ancient ship shielding(i think).

Third, as for the ancient ships, ive been highly disappointed in them. Each time we get one to use to try to figure out, boom, its gone. I think if they had one, to study, use, learn from, that there would be alot more found out about the ships than we know. I dont think the ships were downgraded at all. Ancient ships had shields and drones, Wraith ships could heal after battle and had 10-20 times the ammount of weaponry the ancients had, and back then, the wraith didnt fight alone, a few hives vs. 1 aurora class ship and they woulda died.

earth ship survives Wraith (beaming tech causes win, or hyperspace jump allows runaway)

Hive ship beats Ancient ship (fight is uneven, more wraith than ancients, more weaponry)

hm?
            LANDRY: You’re just mad you didn’t get to fly the maiden voyage yourself.

: General, I am quite fond of both maidens and voyages. I mean, put the two together and ...

sigpic

Comment

Why can't organic ships have shields, the Wraith Hives do everything else that inorganic ships can do.

As for drones penetrating shields...The Wraith would have eventually come out with a countermeasure. The Wraith came out with a countermeasure for Asgard beams in about a day!

There is a titanic disconnect between Atlantis shields and Ancient warship shields. Really, how can Atlantis have that kind of shield strength? WTF haven't they been able to incorporate that tech to any of their other ships? IMO, this is poor writing.

They made Atlantis shields out of this world (quite unrealistic, like the Asuran satellite shields), but their regular ships have piss poor shields in comparison.

Finally, the show is too human centric (like Star Trek). Humans saving the universe. SGC should have gotten a lot of help from the Asgard, instead poor writing killed them off. How cool would it have been to see a fleet of O'Neill's fighting Ori ships or Hives alongside Earth ships? How come Earth never got more help from the Tollans? Instead the writers killed them off as well.

Comment

Why can't organic ships have shields, the Wraith Hives do everything else that inorganic ships can do.
                Yes, and they probably do those things by inorganic means. The hull of the ship and a lot of it's systems are organic, but not all.

As for drones penetrating shields...The Wraith would have eventually come out with a countermeasure. The Wraith came out with a countermeasure for Asgard beams in about a day!
                Their countermeasure was numbers. If an Lantean ship has x amount of drones, then you need to have x+n ships to win the battle.

There is a titanic disconnect between Atlantis shields and Ancient warship shields.
                It hasn't really been established how strong an Aurora class ship shields are, it's only been roughly approximated.

Really, how can Atlantis have that kind of shield strength?
                Atlantis is a bigger ship. It has more room for bigger shield emitters and is powered by up to three ZPMs.

WTF haven't they been able to incorporate that tech to any of their other ships?
                Aurora class ships aren't as big, so they need smaller shield emitters and probably don't have the power available to them that Atlantis does.
                I mean, out of all the Aurora ships we've seen in the show, how many are powered by a ZPM? So far, 1, and it's not clear whether the ZPM was standard equipment on the ship or not.

IMO, this is poor writing.
                Meh. StarGate has always been hazy on technical details. This is nothing new.

They made Atlantis shields out of this world (quite unrealistic, like the Asuran satellite shields), but their regular ships have piss poor shields in comparison.
                You're basing your assumptions on a few 10,000 year old ships and rough approximations made by fans.

Finally, the show is too human centric (like Star Trek). Humans saving the universe.
                Did you just start watching SG a few seasons ago? It's been human-centric for 10+ years now.

SGC should have gotten a lot of help from the Asgard, instead poor writing killed them off.
                Uh, the SGC got lots of help from the Asgard. I'm not going to debate this, because it's clear you're unhappy and won't care about any example I offer.

How cool would it have been to see a fleet of O'Neill's fighting Ori ships or Hives alongside Earth ships?
                It would have been cool to see, but without a reason for it happening it would have been VFX wank, which is apparently the only thing that really matters anymore.

How come Earth never got more help from the Tollans? Instead the writers killed them off as well.
                You don't understand the StarGate Formula.

Rule 1. Earth is the underdog.

Rule 2. Anything that would change Earths status as underdog must be removed eventually so they remain the underdog.

See, being the underdog is heroic. Calling your powerful friends every time you're being bullied isn't heroic, it's petty.
                I don't know about you, but I think the SGC calling their allies every time they got into trouble would indicate far worse writing than what we've seen in the show.
                Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

SGC/Earth beating the G'ould is akin to the Roman Army beating the US army of the 21st century.
                  Do you even watch the show? The SGC killed a few goa'ulds, but it was the replicators that wiped out almost all of the goa'uld ships before we destroyed them with the dakara device. Without out the MW replicators we would not have been able to defeat the goa'uld for a LONG time if ever.

Comment

Look, the Orion was severly depleted(i.e. it used up significant power, trying not to get incinerated by magma.

You cannot compare that to an Asuran vessel, most probably equipped with a Z.P.M. For the record the Asurans hewlp up good against the missles launch by the Apollo. derr............................................................................ .........
                    sigpic
                    i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

Comment

no1 knows an auroras true shield strenth because the only 1s we hav seen hav been badly damaged

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                      Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Didn't they power the Orion with naquadah generators, I think thats why they could either power the sheilds or fire the drones. Their sheild were standing up to wraith fire for a bit and they were seriously weakened.
                        Best quotes ever:
                        O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                        Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                        Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                        Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                        Thor:I like the yellow ones
                        O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
                          Didn't they power the Orion with naquadah generators, I think thats why they could either power the sheilds or fire the drones. Their sheild were standing up to wraith fire for a bit and they were seriously weakened.
                          I don't even think they had a naquadah generator on the orion, if so maybe they could have powered both systems at once.

Comment

Originally posted by from_orion View Post
                            I don't even think they had a naquadah generator on the orion, if so maybe they could have powered both systems at once.
                            They had other problems to take care off .

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                              Well, I'm not sure about the real reasoning, but the big lines is quite spot on.

That other thread about the retrofitted Ha'tak made me realize that it would have been much much better and logical to see Earth be forced to use stolen, weakened and damaged Ha'taks.

The level of wank Earth went through in the final years of SG-1, especially in Unending, and then above all in Atlantis, in mind boggling.
                              It's fanboy and lazy writing.
                              That's what the Prometheus was. The hyperdrive, rings, and even some energy weapons were taken from an Alkesh. However, it is easier to repair human technology than Goa'uld technology (we can't make those crystals) hence why we made our own tin can, life support, and other systems for it. Same with the F-301 and later the F-302 (which was totally human made).

The Asgard later retrofitted the Prometheus with human-versions of their technology that we could build. The Daedalus was created with help of the Asgard designed human-made versions of their technology with a few exceptions (like rings).

Comment

Yeah, the director always wants to keep Earth the heavy underdogs, that is why we never seen Tollan ion cannons on earth, no Asgard weapons, killing the Asgard and the Tollans to keep it that way etc.

But, they made the Ancients ships too weak, and thus made the Wraith seem quite weak.

The Ancients ships must have at least Ori shields, beams weapons and drones. At least Ori shields because of the immense strength of Atlantis shields. Ori ships have beam weapons and ion cannons, why can't the Aurora's have beam weapons and drones? Ancient satellite had a massive laser.

Instead we see downgraded Ancient ships, drones and weak shields and not very fast ships. Which do not make sense, seeing as the Ancients were the most advanced race.

Comment

Working...
                                X