Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They produce power by drawing it from a contained region of subspace within the ZPM. That's simple, but the analogy still stands as they are very complicated and extremely powerful batteries.

I've also seen 'Point of View' quite a few times, and Jackson's explaination that the device was a power source doesn't cut it. If your idea that it used a controlled overload of naquadah then a Mark II generator would allow them to dial Earth without the ZPM using more power. A Mark I generator is able to power a gate (as we've seen before) two Mark II's would be able dial another galaxy.

While circuit breaker isn't the right term for what it did, it did allow the gate to safely draw ten times more power from the base without blowing the circuit breakers. It was sort of like using the Outpost chair to control the cloaking device used by Carter in the AU to hide Earth.

sigpic

Comment

What really annoys me is when it is called an Asgard generator in I think it is 'Point of View' If it was built with Ancient knowledge how can it possibly be an 'Asgard generator!'
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
        What really annoys me is when it is called an Asgard generator in I think it is 'Point of View' If it was built with Ancient knowledge how can it possibly be an 'Asgard generator!'
        They don't call it an asgard generator.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          They produce power by drawing it from a contained region of subspace within the ZPM. That's simple, but the analogy still stands as they are very complicated and extremely powerful batteries.

I've also seen 'Point of View' quite a few times, and Jackson's explaination that the device was a power source doesn't cut it. If your idea that it used a controlled overload of naquadah then a Mark II generator would allow them to dial Earth without the ZPM using more power. A Mark I generator is able to power a gate (as we've seen before) two Mark II's would be able dial another galaxy.

While circuit breaker isn't the right term for what it did, it did allow the gate to safely draw ten times more power from the base without blowing the circuit breakers. It was sort of like using the Outpost chair to control the cloaking device used by Carter in the AU to hide Earth.
          You might want to watch Point of View again or pay more attention, it is not Jackson it is the CARTERS that explain how it works. And if anything it is a plot hole how this device could dial another galaxy with 10x normal base power, yet we can't add multiple naq generators together to dial another galaxy. However what might be the reason is, based on asgard speed comments, Ida is much closer than Pegasus thus need much less power.

Comment

Originally posted by from_orion View Post
            And the person that said "The ZPM is nothing more than a very complicated and extremely powerful battery" I hope was only referring to how they power devices, not about how they produce power.
            That person would be me. Of course I wasn't referring to the mechanism. I know batteries use chemical reactions to produce power while the zpms draw energy from subspace. I merely meant that zpms are not some magical tools that can transport you to other galaxies, nor do they make you almighty, what's more, they don't even take your dog for a walk. They are just powersources - very complicated, extremely powerful powersources.

Comment

Originally posted by Darien View Post
              That person would be me. Of course I wasn't referring to the mechanism. I know batteries use chemical reactions to produce power while the zpms draw energy from subspace. I merely meant that zpms are not some magical tools that can transport you to other galaxies, nor do they make you almighty, what's more, they don't even take your dog for a walk. They are just powersources - very complicated, extremely powerful powersources.
              True that!

Comment

Working...
              X