Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the crystals are like buffers. If you were to transmit buffers at the same time on both ends, you'd get a very corrupt buffer in the end.

Comment

this brings up a good point, now while o neill did not go THROUGH the gate there was an episode where he " holds a gate open " by holding his hand in the gate... so its possible to put matter into the event horizon, its never explained what happens exactly if you walk through the destination event horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by Murzin View Post
        this brings up a good point, now while o neill did not go THROUGH the gate there was an episode where he " holds a gate open " by holding his hand in the gate... so its possible to put matter into the event horizon, its never explained what happens exactly if you walk through the destination event horizon.
        It has been explained ina way, the stargate doesn't store you in the buffer and it does no transmit you so you die and we've seen a MALP destroyed when it fell through the an open offworld wormhole.

The stargate will only send something if it's completely passed the event horizon. O'Neill, despite being on the other side, only had his hand through in wormhole so the gate wouldn't have done anything execpt for stay open because it detects activity. It would have been a completely different story if he walked through but because he didn't entirely go through he was fine as he'd not crossed the event horizon.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Murzin View Post
          I think the way it was explained was that he only partially walked out of the gate on the other end, keeping his hand in the resulting rematerialisation buffer in order that the gate won't shut down (except after 38 minutes).

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsnag View Post
            I think the way it was explained was that he only partially walked out of the gate on the other end, keeping his hand in the resulting rematerialisation buffer in order that the gate won't shut down (except after 38 minutes).
            i believe you can reenter the event horizon partially, any thing you put into the gate the wrong way, but only partially, will be stored in the buffer until the point that it it 100% in the gate then it will be deleted,
            i believe this because the step you take in going 100% through the outgoing wormhole, will be the same step coming 100% out the incoming wormhole, since you need to be 100% through for your data and particles to be sent through the wormhole, this is the only explanation.
            it would work in the same way as when ford entered the event horizon in "38 minutes" incompletely and was able to be pulled out by mckay, he was part dematerialized but not yet sent through, except that was ougoing and the one you were refering to was incoming, but i believe the same rule applies, for saftey reasons more than anything.
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WarLud View Post

In addition, if only waves are able to do this, then why does light not seem to go through, seeing as light behaves as both waves & particles.

yes light does work as both waves and particles. its most likely that the particles part is what keeps it from transmitting through the gate. thats the most likely reason for that. remember. the gate has a filtering system. like in [Watergate] the gate is under the water but it does not transfer through the gate.
              your new guide to stargate news.
              www.stargatenews.mypodcast.com

Master Control Radio
              www.mastercontrol.mypodcast.com

Comment

maybe you just can't see the light coming through the gate because the "puddle" is so dammned bright.

Comment

Working...
                X