Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard...hands down and IMHO the Replicators are more like what the Borg SHOULD have been.

The only other thing I will say is that I was a big Star Trek fan until I started watchin' Stargate. The Star Trek universe is a little to pie in the sky for me now that I have seen what a sci-fi TV show can be.

sigpic

Comment

The only thing that the Federation has over Stargate is better captains and space combat tatics. Earth Captains could learn a thing or two from them such as moving while in combat (just an idea)
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

"Asgard...hands down and IMHO the Replicators are more like what the Borg SHOULD have been."

Replicators are more advanced and can adapt faster. The Replicators are in the final stage of machine evolution.

The Asgard and the Ancient ships are more powerful than a Borg cube. But if they are facing 100 to 1 or 1000 to 1 odds or greater, forget about it. Borg by sheer numbers.

Need to use other tactics to beat the Borg.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
          The difference is in the hyperdrive type. SG uses, for lack of a better term, Wormhole hyperspace travel. ST, and others use lightspeed( or faster than light) travel. Correct me if I'm wrong.
          The way I've always understood it is the Warp Field partially shunts the ship into Subspace reducing the energy needed to reach and sustain Warp Speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom6 View Post
            The way I've always understood it is the Warp Field partially shunts the ship into Subspace reducing the energy needed to reach and sustain Warp Speeds.
            i think what warp drives do is warp space time, as in compressing spacetime in front of the ship and expanding it behind, this means that space time is actually moving with the ship and since space time can move a lot faster than light, thats what causes the ship to go ftl, (my understanding anyway)
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

Asgard vs Federation is really simple- Asgard win easily. If the Goa'uld can wipe out the Federation with ease (and they can) then the Asgard can do it even easier.
              To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
              http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
              http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by darth_timon View Post
                Asgard vs Federation is really simple- Asgard win easily. If the Goa'uld can wipe out the Federation with ease (and they can) then the Asgard can do it even easier.
                Thats a matter of opinion, I think the feds would whoop the Goa'uld personally. The only thing SG has over ST is hyperdrive really.
                Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                  Thats a matter of opinion, I think the feds would whoop the Goa'uld personally. The only thing SG has over ST is hyperdrive really.
                  and assuming they were placed in the same universe with the same fictional physical rules, they would be forced to only have ever invented one of the two forms and therefore be equal speed.
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                  Quotes!
                  - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                  sigpic

Comment

I think it's worth saying that Asgard vs. "Voyager era" Borg = Asgard owning Borg, but Asgard vs. "TNG era" Borg = Borg owning Asgard.

The writers felt they needed to "declaw the cat" when it came to the Borg in Star Trek Voyager (they admitted as much). The Borg in their original incarnation did not have or need a "central plexus", a "queen", or any of the add-ons the Borg received in Star Trek Voyager. The writers did that to make them beat-able. The Borg Queen was only written in to give the antagonist in Star Trek First Contact a "face" that the audience could think of as the enemy (a good case study for anthromorphological theory in mass media).

If anyone saw the Enterprise episode "Regeneration", you know what I'm talking about. They had to dumb down the Borg EVEN MORE for that episode to allow a pre-Federation Earth starship-wannabe to beat the Borg. Seriously, if high doses of radiation is all it took to reverse assimilation, don't you think Crusher would have figured that out when Picard was assimilated?

Yes, I know.....will the real nerd please stand up, please stand up...all you other nerds are just immitating...
                    "For truth hath better deeds than words to grace it..."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                      I can provide you with evidence from various SG1 episodes of the firepower of the Goa'uld, as well as evidence of firepower of Federation ships, that proves pretty conclusively that the Goa'uld can easily trounce the Federation. If the Goa'uld can do it then the Asgard make it look like a cakewalk.

Originally posted by AvatarIII
                      and assuming they were placed in the same universe with the same fictional physical rules, they would be forced to only have ever invented one of the two forms and therefore be equal speed.
                      It doesn't work that way in vs debates- especially seeking as neither SG or ST FTL drives have ever really been pinned down in terms of science. It's assumed all sides have their normal abilities, rather than restricting one side for the sake of the other.
                      To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
                      http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
                      http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Comment

I can provide you with evidence from various SG1 episodes of the firepower of the Goa'uld, as well as evidence of firepower of Federation ships, that proves pretty conclusively that the Goa'uld can easily trounce the Federation. If the Goa'uld can do it then the Asgard make it look like a cakewalk.
                        Go for it! I can do the same.
                        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

It doesn't work that way in vs debates- especially seeking as neither SG or ST FTL drives have ever really been pinned down in terms of science. It's assumed all sides have their normal abilities, rather than restricting one side for the sake of the other.
                          in that case the asgard would always win by just running away.
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          Quotes!
                          sigpic

Comment

It is funny I used to watch a lot of trek. I am not into debating which is better. I find that although it may take a ST ship decades to get from one side of the galaxy to another that it is a lot more interesting because you don't miss everything in between. Whereas in SG the galaxy seems so small when in reality it is mind boggling huge. I still like both and always will. I like the positive atmosphere of trek and that it was the fans that kept it alive.

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                              I was thinking earlier today about how the Asgard and the Federation of star trek (TNG Era) have very similar levels of technology, even though the asgard are at least 30,000 years more advanced than us, and were possibly gifted with technology from the ancients at some point, wheras the Federation are only around 500 years ahead of us, and i dont think they were gifted with or have stolen much technology.
                              Does this seem odd to anyone else or just me.
                              Ive noticed this, but a couple points. Asgard travel time is galaxies in minutes and it took voyager 7 yrs to get across one galaxy... and not even under its own power for the big jumps. Now ill admit treks weapons seem way superior to the asgard. Asgard seem to have the edge in shields.

What i think is greatest about this comparison tho.... Is it took SGverse 10 years to do what it took STverse 500+ years. XD

It was painful watching enterprise against SG1, both ships looked the same inside but prometheus was 400 years ahead of a ship built 100 years into st's future. inside of nx-01 and x-303 = identical

Comment

ST developed most of it's technology on it's own. How good do you think the x304 would be if the azgard decided to take back all there technology?

Comment

Working...
                                X