Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exactly. I thought it was metal evaporated tape, but yeah, optical media would certainly survive 5000 years in a vacuum sealed canopic jar (assuming danny boy didn't get a billion fingerprints on it...acid and oils on our fingers can just kill the reflective layer where data is stored)
    Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
    Check out my Flickr

Comment

They left it in the camera so it wouldn;t be oily or anything. But yeah theres no why too really know what would happen over that kind of time span. Actually thats what i love about the atlantis setup, its that they have these ancient systems that still run flawlessly after thousands of years.
      "Dying doesn't work in our favour!"

Comment

Speaking of stuff being 10000 years old in atlantis... wouldn't fabrics and such deteriorate over that much time? I picked up a rag that was left out in the weather for a day or two and it disintegrated in my hands. I don't see how all the stuff in atlantis could survive that long... (back on topic)

Comment

Clothing fibers made from nano tubes?

Comment

Normal earth technology couldn't last that long. The wires and solder would break down and the components would literally fall off the circuit boards. I don't know what the lantians made their tech out of, but it seems to be a lot of optics. crystals, fibres and the such.

Comment

Has there been any real testing on the life span of stuff like solder? Its just a lead tin mix, i dont see why it would break down, I would think the silicon boards would be a limiting factor.

Yeah most ancient tech seems to be based around crystals.

Comment

yeah, ancient tech is based on crystals and fiber optic cable, apparently, and because the Goa'uld just jacked that, it's probably most of the same tech.

The thing about solid-state data storage on traditional earth technology is that the gates that are opened or closed in flash memory can have their positions switched if static energy is applied or if perhaps a strange EM field comes across them. Optical media doesn't have this problem, and most ancient tech being light-related, you'd assume it works similarly to a DVD would.
                Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                Check out my Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X