This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    SGA season 2. Sheppard was almost out of beaming range and McKay said that no one had ever been beamed from that far away by an earth vessel and they weren't sure if it would work.

An exact distance isn't given but its less than a 302 can travel in about 10 miniutes (at least for earth vessels).

They also have a few of the battles against the Wraith where they are out of beaming distance even though they can detect the ships (and see them on screen).
    Yea it happens on earth ships but never on an Asgard vessel.

Comment

SGA season 2. Sheppard was almost out of beaming range and McKay said that no one had ever been beamed from that far away by an earth vessel and they weren't sure if it would work.

An exact distance isn't given but its less than a 302 can travel in about 10 miniutes (at least for earth vessels).

They also have a few of the battles against the Wraith where they are out of beaming distance even though they can detect the ships (and see them on screen).
      Yeah i am Earth vessels have a very limited range! Maybe a bit more than being in orbit? However i am sure the upgarded oddessy can now go a bit futher (but still not as far as an asgard ship) But for that situation we will have to wait for the films.

I wonder if Earth has a small beaming range and the asgard seem to have a galactic range on beaming. Then what about Goa'uld ships with asgard beaming? I gess they will be somewhere in the middle? As in "Reckoning part 2" Baal beamed to nowhere! I doubt he beamed to the planet as the gate would have been gaurded by Free Jaffa! and i doubt he beamed to another ship?
      sigpic
      Banner Made By Me for Me
      The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
        Yeah i am Earth vessels have a very limited range! Maybe a bit more than being in orbit? However i am sure the upgarded oddessy can now go a bit futher (but still not as far as an asgard ship) But for that situation we will have to wait for the films.
        Why are you so sure Odyssey has a longer range beam?

I wonder if Earth has a small beaming range and the asgard seem to have a galactic range on beaming. Then what about Goa'uld ships with asgard beaming? I gess they will be somewhere in the middle? As in "Reckoning part 2" Baal beamed to nowhere! I doubt he beamed to the planet as the gate would have been gaurded by Free Jaffa! and i doubt he beamed to another ship?
        Um what makes you think that the Asgard had galactic range beaming? Thor can travel from Ida to the milky way in a few miniutes. Asgard ships have been shown to be completely undetectable to earth ships when they want to be. For all we know Thor spends most of hsi time patrolling around the Milk Way and he just jumps into Orbit around earth when we want him.

Comment

Why are you so sure Odyssey has a longer range beam?.
          I am not "SO SURE" which is why i said "we will have to wait for the movies to find out" however it MAY have a bigger beaming distance due to the asgard upgardes and bigger and better power suppy

Um what makes you think that the Asgard had galactic range beaming? Thor can travel from Ida to the milky way in a few miniutes. Asgard ships have been shown to be completely undetectable to earth ships when they want to be. For all we know Thor spends most of hsi time patrolling around the Milk Way and he just jumps into Orbit around earth when we want him.
          I am still not 100% sure the asgard can move that quick from galaxy to galaxy. If they can then their hyperdrive tech is much better than any ancient hyperdrive!
          I know its fast but not a few mins fast! maybe an hour or so! But i gess it depends where the asgard homeworld is? Maybe its at the tip of one of the Ida arms on the side closest to the arm of the MW we are in? and the current galaxy rotations have placed Earth and the Asgard homeworld close togther (if you get me?)
          sigpic
          Banner Made By Me for Me

Comment

I am not "SO SURE" which is why i said "we will have to wait for the movies to find out" however it MAY have a bigger beaming distance due to the asgard upgardes and bigger and better power suppy
            Yeah, the improvements might have increased the range a bit but most likely by maybe 1 light second or so (far but not anything near galactic or even solar system jumping)

I am still not 100% sure the asgard can move that quick from galaxy to galaxy. If they can then their hyperdrive tech is much better than any ancient hyperdrive!
            I know its fast but not a few mins fast! maybe an hour or so! But i gess it depends where the asgard homeworld is? Maybe its at the tip of one of the Ida arms on the side closest to the arm of the MW we are in? and the current galaxy rotations have placed Earth and the Asgard homeworld close togther (if you get me?)
            Um, Asgard hyperdrives have always been shown to be in every way superior to Ancient hyperdrives. Thor states that it only takes him a matter of minutes to go from Ida to earth (and I can't see anything over 20 miniutes counted as a matter of miniutes, and in all honestly I would say its under 7 miniutes). The minimum distance to be considered in another galaxy is measured in millions of light years. From Earth to Ida (if Ida is indeed another galaxy) is on the order of 2 million + light years.

Comment

I think the Gould beaming is worse then us they must have a tag and I don't think we need one any more.
              And Ba'al went to anther ship thats Tealc said in the next episode I think.

Comment

In the SG-1 episode Chimera, Osiris was beaming into Daniel's bedroom from a cloaked ship in Lunar orbit. That means that beaming from ~380,000 km isn't a problem.
                Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

In "Intruder" (SGA 202) McKay stated that there was a limit (to the asgard beam on the Daedalus) but they didn't know the exact distance. Colonel Sheppard's 302 was at a distance where the beam had never been tested however which seemed a further distance than any Goa'uld has tried to beam before.

Also, the Prometheus (and i think originally the Odyssey (SG1 916)) needed to tag targets for beaming because they didn't have asgard sensors. So there isn't any reason to think that the Goa'uld version of the Asgard beam is 'worse' than ours, they just don't have the sensors to go along with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaapaai993 View Post
                    Also, the Prometheus (and i think originally the Odyssey (SG1 916)) needed to tag targets for beaming because they didn't have asgard sensors. So there isn't any reason to think that the Goa'uld version of the Asgard beam is 'worse' than ours, they just don't have the sensors to go along with it.
                    Was it ever stated that the Goa'uld have no sensors and need to tag stuff????
                    Anubis got the Asgard beaming tech from Thors Mind, along with other tech. There4 I would have thought they got the sensor details aswell. Also Anubis had great knowledge of newer ancient tech. He upgraded the Hataks sheilds and weapons to equal the Asgard Baliskner (sp?) ships. There4 i am sure he knows some ancient sensor technology that can go alone with the beams?
                    Or maybe they had the same trouble the wraith have - Old Ships + New Tech = compatibility and coding issues
                    sigpic
                    Banner Made By Me for Me

Comment

Was it ever stated that the Goa'uld have no sensors and need to tag stuff????
                      Anubis got the Asgard beaming tech from Thors Mind, along with other tech. There4 I would have thought they got the sensor details aswell. Also Anubis had great knowledge of newer ancient tech. He upgraded the Hataks sheilds and weapons to equal the Asgard Baliskner (sp?) ships. There4 i am sure he knows some ancient sensor technology that can go alone with the beams?
                      Or maybe they had the same trouble the wraith have - Old Ships + New Tech = compatibility and coding issues
                      Yes... but we only know for sure that he did that to a single Ha'tak. It stands to reason he would have upgraded his flagship, but we also know that none of the remaining Ha'taks have those upgrades.
                      www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                        Yes... but we only know for sure that he did that to a single Ha'tak. It stands to reason he would have upgraded his flagship, but we also know that none of the remaining Ha'taks have those upgrades.
                        I am sure he wopuld have upgarded more than 1. Atleast a fleet or two! It would be safe to say Baal may have a few aswell as flagships!
                        They should have changed the outside colour or look a bit so we can tell!
                        sigpic
                        Banner Made By Me for Me

Comment

Linked from another thread, here's a bunch of quotes from the episodes transcripts, about beaming ranges and others note of interest.

But before I start, notice that we know all of Earth ships are capable of beaming over distances which correspond to locations in orbit of planets. Extremely conservatively, that would be, at least, 50 to 100 km.
                          In Redemption, Bra'tac, Rya'c and Teal'c were beamed down from a scout ship flying at a good distance from the planet. That's a mark of ring range. At least, those rings, either the ones on the planet, or those onboard the ship, then backed up by the tel'tak's power source. It was heavily defended, so they didn't get too near, especially since at that moment, they realized that their cloak was not working against Anubis' ships.
                          Considering that Goa'uld beaming ranges, as seen in The Devil You Know, where ring platforms can be used from Netu to a ha'tak if far orbit, and from that same ha'tak to Delmak, assuming asgard beaming tech has, at least, same minimal ranges, we'd be looking at ranges which exceed the exosphere roof of Earth for example, that is, way more than 1,000 kms.

Fragile Balance apparently has a record, with a range which is Earth surface -> a ship in orbit of the dark side of the Moon.

Here we go:

Stargate SG-1 9.16 Off The Grid

CARTER: From what little we know of Ba'als ship…there's only one cargo hold big enough to store the Stargate's…and that's here. *screen changes*

MITCHELL: we beam on to the Ship, make our way to the Cargo hold…and tag the gates with these suckers. *picks up a little box object*

JACKSON: Locater beacons *takes it*

CARTER: They only operate through subspace so they shouldn't be detected. Once we lock on to their signal we beam back the Gates… beam ourselves out and hopefully be gone before Ba'al knows the difference.

MARKS: But won't Ba'al be able to detect the Odyssey? And even if they don't…how do you beam through his shields…?

CARTER: Lets just say that's been taken into consideration…
                          SCENE: in a corridor, a group of Jaffa pass by, as they disappear, there's a flash of light and SG-1 appear, armed and ready.

TEAL'C: This way…*leads them*

MITCHELL: *radios* we're in

EMERSON: *On Odyssey* understand. We will hold this station within beaming range.

SCENE: Nerus pushes buttons trying to sort problem when Ba'al enters.

Stargate SG-1 10.01 Flesh And Blood

FLASHBACK SCENE: Mitchell runs towards the X-302, as the Korelev is hit fires start around them, he jumps into the 302 closing the hatch and belts in, as he speeds off the Korelev explodes and the shock wave throws him forward.

MITCHELL: I must have lost consciousness…

CARTER: Daniel?

MITCHELL: …Still on board…I think. *Sam shuts her eyes defeated* What happened to the Ori ships?

CARTER: They left here approximately 4 and a half hours ago…

EMERSON: *on radio* This is colonel Emerson aboard the Odyssey. Colonel Mitchell is that you?

MITCHELL: Yes sir.

CARTER: Thank god…This is Carter…are you in range to beam me back aboard?

EMERSON: I'm afraid that we haven't got beaming capability at this time…Kvasir is working on it…
                          If Carter faces the Odyssey, then that ship could likely be out of sight range. Which I think means something like over 7,000 kms.
                          But don't spend too much time on this one.

SCENE: The Odyssey drops out of hyper space.

EMERSON: Colonel Mitchell. Colonel Carter this is Emerson, come in… what's your status.

MITCHELL: *grabs radio* beam us on board.

MARKS: Enemy ships have detected our presence… moving into range.

MITCHELL: You should have four beacons transmitting. *Bra'tac looks at him* I planted one on you earlier. Just in case…

EMERSON: do it. *They are beamed aboard just as the Mothership impacts the Ori shield, blowing to pieces the Ori ship sustaining no damage.*

Stargate SG-1 Episode 10.03 The Pegasus Project

CARTER: Teal'c, it's Sam. We're about to launch the first warhead to the preprogrammed coordinates. Are you at a safe distance from both Gates?

TEAL'C: I am.

EMERSON: *broadcasts a ship announcement* Attention, all hands. Stand by. Launching first warhead.

CARTER: Beaming device in three, two, one...mark.

At the other gate near Teal'c a bright burst of energy shoots out from the Gate.
                          MCKAY: We still have two more bombs. I say we increase the yield to maximum and try it again.

CARTER: You were the one who said a maximum yield blast would vaporize both Gates.

MCKAY: We've only got one more shot at this. What difference does it make?

MITCHELL: man has a point, Sam.

EMERSON: Each attempt is forcing the Gate closer to the event horizon of the black hole… To keep safe beaming distance I'm going to have to bring the Odyssey in even closer.

CARTER: And the closer you get to the black hole, the more systems are affected by its effects.

EMERSON: Sublight engines and beaming technology are fine…but communications and sensors are all out of whack already.
                          CARTER: Against a gravity well this strong, they've literally got the higher ground, but if we can get them to follow us closer to the black hole...

MCKAY: Then their systems will be affected the same way as ours, including their jamming technology.

CARTER: Which means we should be able to beam the warheads directly aboard their ship.

EMERSON: In that close, we won't have the engine power to maneuver.

MITCHELL: So we slingshot. And use the gravity well to accelerate back out.

EMERSON: Take us in. Full power.

The Odyssey does an about turn and heads back towards the black hole, the Wraith ship follows in pursuit firing.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Stargate Atlantis 2.02 The Intruder

FIGHTER BAY. John flies out of the ship in an F-302.

CALDWELL (over comms): Alright, Colonel, we've evacuated all sections in the vicinity of the array and sealed the bulkheads.

SHEPPARD: Understood.

CALDWELL (over ship's comms): All personnel – prepare for impact.

(John loops the glider around and fires several missiles at the array, blowing it up. Daedalus jolts under the impact.)

CALDWELL: What's our status?

BRIDGE LIEUTENANT: Transmitter is offline. Distress signal has been disabled.

CALDWELL: Well done, Colonel – return to the ship.

SHEPPARD: With pleasure. (He flicks a switch, then frowns and flicks it a few more times.) Uh, there's a problem. My controls aren't responding.

CALDWELL: Say again?

SHEPPARD: Well, the Daedalus is behind me. I can't seem to turn around and ... a lot more, we've picking up speed.

McKAY: I should have seen this coming. The navigational software on the F-302 is compatible with our sublight system which has already been infected. The virus must have uploaded itself onto his ship.

WEIR: What about the transport beam?

McKAY: That would work. Those systems are still clean.

CALDWELL: Do it.

(Rodney turns to his console and Elizabeth activates her radio.)

WEIR: John, this is Elizabeth. Rodney seems to think the virus has taken over your ship, so we're gonna try to beam you out.

SHEPPARD: Acknowledged.

WEIR: Stand by.

(Rodney turns around from the console.)

McKAY: Uh, small problem.

WEIR: What?

McKAY: The transport beam is tied to an Asgard sensor – it's what we use to lock on to targets.

WEIR: So?

McKAY: So, so, that particular piece of equipment was located in the array that we just destroyed. (He has a thought and clicks his fingers several times.) The key is to lock onto his radio signal.

That's what they used to do on the Prometheus before they had Asgard sensors.

CALDWELL: You'd better do it quick, `cos in about three minutes he's gonna be out of range.

(Rodney turns back to the console and starts working.)
                            THE PRESENT. F-302.

WEIR (over comms): Colonel? John, are you still there?

SHEPPARD (pulling himself together): Uh ...

WEIR: We're gonna use your radio to target the transport beam.

We'll have you out of there in just a minute.

SHEPPARD: Sounds good. So I'm still in range, right?

(On Daedalus, Rodney turns round to Elizabeth, deactivating his radio so John can't hear him.)

McKAY: Truth is, this has never been tested from this distance.

WEIR (into comms): Rodney seems to think you'll be OK.

SHEPPARD: Well, that's good.

McKAY: We're ready. We're beaming him directly to the Bridge.

(Everyone turns to face the front of the Bridge. On the F-302, the transporter beam envelops John and whisks him away. A few moments later, the beam appears on the Bridge, and when the light fades, John is standing there.)

WEIR: Are you alright?

SHEPPARD: Yeah. Two arms, ten fingers ... (he looks down) I'll check the rest later.
                            So from the dialogue, we learn a couple of things.
                            First, the distance they were going to beam John from was a novelty.
                            More, they managed to pull it off the old way, by locking on a radio signal. Don't even ask how they sorted out what was part of the F-302 and what was part of John Sheppard... or how he ended upright while he was sitting in his cockpit (I remember the good old times when they actually had O'neill and Teal'c lie on the floor when they were beamed out of the submarine).

We know that that the F-302 was flying away from the Daedalus, pushing on thrusters, and it took at least one minute to get a lock, while the fighter was still flying away.

I suppose that by looking at the size of ships compared to the size of the sun, we would actually get very good estimations of the range.

We also know that when Caldwell noticed that in three minutes, Shep would be out of range, the F-302 had already started taking some distance, and the character exchanged dialogue on screen.
                            After that scene, Shep has a flashback about his meeting with Aiden's cousin.

It's hard to make any estimation on the F-302's actual acceleration. We could suppose that the primary thrusters were pushed to max (the rocket booster was not used).
                            This would provide a rather substancial range.

Stargate Atlantis 2.11 The Hive

DAEDALUS. Rodney and Caldwell are walking through corridors, followed by Major Lorne and Doctor Radek Zelenka.

McKAY: According to Ford's intel, the planet has a space Gate. If we could get there quickly in a Puddlejumper, we wouldn't be able to do much more than just warn people of the impending culling.

CALDWELL: Do we have enough time?

McKAY: Yes.

ZELENKA: We think.

McKAY: We *should*.

ZELENKA: We *hope*.

McKAY: It'll be close, yes, but using the Daedalus we might be able to get a radio lock on Sheppard and the team inside the hive ship.

If they're still alive, we can beam them out.

CALDWELL: Alright. Let's get this bird off the ground.
                            HYPERSPACE. DAEDALUS. BRIDGE. Colonel Caldwell is standing at the glass space map talking to Rodney and Major Lorne. He indicates a position on the map.

CALDWELL: We drop out of hyperspace directly behind the planet – use it to shield us from the hive ship and we can attempt radio contact with Colonel Sheppard.

McKAY: But we won't be *able* to make radio contact from behind the planet.

CALDWELL: Which is why you and Major Lorne will take a cloaked Puddlejumper to get close enough to determine if Colonel Sheppard and his team are still aboard the ship. If they are, we'll move into position around the planet and beam `em out.
                            Nothing special I think. It's expected that normal radio comms couldn't get through a planet, and since that's what they plan to get a lock on people, they'd have to be sight of the hiveship.

From an outside perspective, we see that hundreds of Darts are leaving the ship. A short distance away, hundreds more pour out of the second hive ship, and all head towards the planet.)

DAEDALUS. The ship is moving to engage the two hive ships. As Rodney and Lorne come onto the Bridge, Caldwell gives instructions to his Weapons Officer.

CALDWELL: Max power to the shields. Are we within transport range?

WEAPONS OFFICER: Yes, sir. We have a weapons lock on coordinates inside the first enemy vessel.

CALDWELL: Deploy warhead.

(The Officer tries, but a message comes up on his screen saying, "UNABLE TO LOCK COORDINATES".)

WEAPONS OFFICER: The enemy has engaged counter measures to block our transport.

McKAY: They're jamming us again!

Stargate Atlantis 3.01 No Man's Land

DAEDALUS BRIEFING ROOM. Rodney has called a meeting with Caldwell, John, Ronon and Michael. All of them are standing around the table, although they look as if they would be better off sitting down, because they're all breathing hard, struggling to get enough oxygen.

McKAY: The only breathable air within light years is on the Wraith ship.

CALDWELL: There's also Wraith aboard that Wraith ship, Doctor.

SHEPPARD: So we take `em. Beam an assault team in.

MICHAEL: You will be far outnumbered.

SHEPPARD: Well, we're dead here. I'll take my chances.

MICHAEL: I admire your courage, Colonel, but you would be dead there as surely as here. Unless we send over the gas.

(Rodney stares at him as he realises what a great idea that is.)

McKAY: Yes, yes, yes! That could work!

MICHAEL: The retrovirus gas would make them virtually harmless.

SHEPPARD (to Caldwell): Do we still have it on board?

CALDWELL: Yes, we do. And now that Michael's disabled their jamming codes ...

McKAY: ... we finish the plan we started!

SHEPPARD: We beam over the gas and wait. If we wait long enough, they won't even wanna put up a fight.

McKAY: Because they'll be humans with no memories! I can't believe we might actually survive this!

CALDWELL: We're almost out of breathable air now, and the retrovirus takes a minimum ten hours to run its course.

SHEPPARD: Well, we'll take the crew in and out of the 302s. (To Michael) If this works, can you fly the hive ship?

MICHAEL: I could.

(John looks at Caldwell.)

SHEPPARD: What d'you say, Colonel?

(Caldwell activates his headset.)

CALDWELL: Weaps, get us within beaming range of the hive.

KLEINMAN (over radio): Yes, sir.

Stargate Atlantis 3.04 Sateda

ATLANTIS. CONFERENCE ROOM.

WEIR: We have no choice. We've been unable to dial in to Sateda's Stargate.

WEIR: The Wraith likely disabled it.

(We see who they're talking to. Colonel Steven Caldwell is in the room with them.)

CALDWELL: Which means, if the Wraith are hunting Ronon, there's a very good chance that there's a hive in orbit. I shouldn't have to remind you the Daedalus has not done well in its last few engagements with Wraith hive ships.

McKAY: We drop out of hyperspace, we beam him onboard, we get out of there.

CALDWELL: You know damned well we can't come out of hyperspace and get close enough to a planet to beam someone off the surface. We'll be detected.
                            This does not necessarily reveals much, safe saying that even their maximum beaming range won't be enough to prevent the Daedalus from getting into Wraith's sensor range.
                            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Working...
                            X