X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget Orions hull hugging shields

Comment

[QUOTE=Wraith_Boy;6934370]It is air tight though!

We know from 'The Hot Zone' that the city automatically locked everything when it detected a problem. Preventing the virus from spreading throughout the city & infecting others. Those in the mess hall only got infected because of Peterson, if they hadn't screwed up it wouldn't have got in. Just like it didn't get into the main control room.

Therefore the city has to be airtight if it locks itself down. No point in quaratining people automatically when a threat is detected. Only for an airborne agent to get through the cracks across the city & infect the trapped personnel.

ok you have point there, but i think that everybody is forgetting one major thing. that if the glass or whatever it is, is strong enough to withstand the vacuum of space, then eventually the air would be thick full of co2 which can kill you. i don't know how long atlantis has an air supply or if it has one, but without power, the city's self cleansing systems would not work at all

Comment

Originally posted by scififreak View Post
        ok you have point there, but i think that everybody is forgetting one major thing. that if the glass or whatever it is, is strong enough to withstand the vacuum of space, then eventually the air would be thick full of co2 which can kill you. i don't know how long atlantis has an air supply or if it has one, but without power, the city's self cleansing systems would not work at all
        I think you've hit the nail on the head right there. It's not the shield failing that will kill them, it's the life support failing. Although...24 hours of power with the shield up would kind of imply they'd have a lot longer with the shield down as the city would be operating on more minimal power. Maybe not enough to power the hyperdrive but enough to keep them alive for a couple of weeks as a lifeboat until a certain Colonel could come galloping to the rescue.

That'd be dull TV though so I'll go with the shield being required to keep the atmosphere in, illogical as that sounds for a spaceship design. Maybe Atlantis was built by the Ancient equivalent of the lowest possible bidder

Comment

Originally posted by Jyral Nadreth View Post
          Don't forget Orions hull hugging shields
          If the shield was hull hugging when we got hit i think it would have done much more damage, more of the surface area of the shield would have been hit by the beam, so i think the shields only hug in certain conditions like in situations like when it used to seal something.
          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
            If the shield was hull hugging when we got hit i think it would have done much more damage, more of the surface area of the shield would have been hit by the beam, so i think the shields only hug in certain conditions like in situations like when it used to seal something.
            Like to seal in air!

Originally posted by Kira_dr View Post
            I think you've hit the nail on the head right there. It's not the shield failing that will kill them, it's the life support failing.
            But couldnt the life support run on naquada generators like in the 304's? Even if it does take up a lot of power they could still limit it to certain areas of the city right?
            Company of Thieves

Daniel: You might want to prepare to return fire.

Marks: For the record, Im always prepared. I just have to push this button.

Comment

I was just saying in that form it would be only like a skin rather than a shield, it doesnt seem it would matter anyway because windows can hold, The ones on the ships hold without shields raised, but that gash into the central spire may serve a huge problem. With all the air in the city i dont see an extreme problem for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Asuran View Post
                But couldnt the life support run on naquada generators like in the 304's? Even if it does take up a lot of power they could still limit it to certain areas of the city right?
                That's true, they'd be able to maintain life support in small sections (certainly comparable to the living space in a 304.) Hmmm can only be a plot device then to prevent it....Naquada generators being cut off on the wrong side of hard vacuum?

edit: If it came to it you could wait until the last possible second and then get as many people as possible into Jumpers. Sure you wouldn't be able to save the whole expedition but some could be kept alive for a while longer in hope of rescue at least.
                Last edited by Kira_dr; 30 July 2007, 12:39 PM. Reason: added comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kira_dr View Post
                  That's true, they'd be able to maintain life support in small sections (certainly comparable to the living space in a 304.) Hmmm can only be a plot device then to prevent it....Naquada generators being cut off on the wrong side of hard vacuum?

edit: If it came to it you could wait until the last possible second and then get as many people as possible into Jumpers. Sure you wouldn't be able to save the whole expedition but some could be kept alive for a while longer in hope of rescue at least.
                  But most of the city is open to the outside, and the tower was pretty much split down the middle... I don't think you could seal it enough.

Besides, the Expedition seems more like the "no man left behind" type.
                  Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                  Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Atlantis has many buildings that werent hit, i'm sure they could go into one of them and be okay for a while. A team can make it to the jumper in the time being and use the subspace communication system to contact Apollo.

Comment

Working...
                    X