• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And?

Comment

Originally posted by Xzyl View Post
      And?
      And, radiation is not automatically "energy" any more than a particle weapon is an energy weapon. Anyone who calls radiation "energy" is a moron.

Comment

Yes. Radiation is not energy... however it has energy... every moving thing has movement energy and every existing thing has potential energy. I believe that this is what makes people confuse these sometimes...

Comment

Mitchell has referred to them as lasers, I believe, on several occasions.

: Green is Good.
          sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cap116 View Post
            Mitchell has referred to them as lasers, I believe, on several occasions.
            Mitchell's stupid We all know that lol. He knows nothing about science. He's the stereotypical American that thinks "energy beam = laser".
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Mitchell said Lasers as a joke based on the stereotype of science and technology. He knew full well they are energy weapons he just chose 'Lasers' to be comical.

I still think energy weopons is the best term for it.
              sigpic
              Spoiler:
              President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
              President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
              Forum Charmer
              Forum Ambassador
              Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

if you're all so fed up with "Directed Energy Weapons" and "lasers" you should call them "unidentified glowing beams". None of us have any idea what those weapon's beams are comprised of, and therefore none of us have any way of naming them scientifically. That said, here's different names you COULD use:

Plasma-based: Plasma Weapon, High Desnsity Particle Beam, Ionized Gas Beam

TRUE Energy Based: Energy Weapon, Directed Energy Weapon

Projectile Based: Big Honkin' Space Gun

Laser Based: Fanwank
                Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                Check out my Flickr

Comment

Well, even in trek they're not referred to as lasers. It's Phaser.. PHASed Energy Rectification.

Laser wepons are just another one of those hollywood fowled up terms.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
                    Well, even in trek they're not referred to as lasers. It's Phaser.. PHASed Energy Rectification.
                    I was just thinking of saying that - BUT i have heard people refer to Phasers as lasers before. I think its just some people's way of talking about something when they can't be bothered to find out what its really called.

Comment

I think I'm going to start referring to them based on their special effect:

Projectile Weapons
                      Beam Weapons
                      Pulse Weapons
                      and the every interesting Beam/Pulse Combo Weapons (Independence Day for instance)

Comment

LASERS! PEW PEW! QWOOoo

Comment

Goa'uld have used, from time to time, a mix of particle and pulse weapons.
                          Of course, their fave warship weapon is a pulse weapon, which fires a blob of bottled energized matter, but same cannons can be used to fire a continuous stream of particles without interruption, as seen in the episode involving Goa'ulds destroying tollan ion cannons.

We've also seen the lighting bolts. As far as it goes fro the Goa'uld, only Anubis used them, on his capital ship, to bust enemy ha'taks.
                          Lightning bolts is more a label than a correct description, since a lightning bolt is nothing more than a ionized stream of particles, the difference being that they're not fired, but already present between two charged zones (clouds and ground). How the weapon worked in Full Circle is unclear, but it was extremely fast and clearly not a beam.

The planet destroying mode, from the same weapon, had the main cannon fire a continuous stream of particles, but once again, it looked more like a stretched lightning bolt, kept going, than a real straight beam.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Ah right. That's another special effect, although a rare one in scifi. The "Chain Lightning" special effect. It's cool.

Comment

All I can say for certain is that the Ori ship weapons are not based on lasers/energy/light. In undending, you see a beam frozen, which would not happen if it were comprised of photons. Relativity tells us that while particles may be slowed by time dilation effects, only the wavelength of photons is changed. We don't see the beam change to red and then infra-red, we see it physically slowed.

Thus, some form of particle based weapon.

Comment

and carter saying it will take .82 seconds for the beam to hit, and the beam was closer than a km away from the odyssey.
                                Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Working...
                                X