Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Powerful are those Asgard Beam Weapons?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
    They do not go through the ship and keep goin Jimbo. Rewatch "Unending". They hit the ship and drill into it, but do not pass through.
    I've probably rewatched Unending more than anyone else on this forum, and thats not an exaggeration. They absolutely do "pass through" the Ori ship.

I have the video saved on my computer, and at precisely 13:00 you can see a beam from the Odyssey impact an Ori ship from behind and drive straight through the forward section and keep going. Its clearly visible if your paying attention.
    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
      The weapons are extremely powerful. They depleted Ori shields and dropped them extremely quickly. You could explain that away with the crap about being effective specifically for Ori shields, but I don't buy that. In addition, the beams cut through the hulls of the Ori ships like a hot knife through butter. In fact, they very much resemble the Ancient and Ori satellite weapons and the Ori main weapon, at least in that regard. They cut through the ship and keep going. Thats pretty powerful.
      We never saw the shields being dropped! We also don't know if it depleted them either!

You don't need to deplete shields totally in order to get damage inside the ship. This is why we see the 304's being at 60% or whatever & sparks flying everywhere inside the bridge etc.

How exactly do you know that it's 'crap' to have the notion that they were specifically designed for Ori shields. I think it's actually logical, we know the Asgard spent a year working on everything. So it is very possible that a large part of it was spent studying scans of the Ori ships shields. I think it's 'crap' to discount it.

They even state in the episode that after something like 4 shots, that they are getting fluctuations in the Ori shields. We also know they found fluctuations when the Ori ships actually fire their main weapons.

The definition of 'Fluctuation' is:

1. To vary irregularly. See Synonyms at swing.
      2. To rise and fall in or as if in waves; undulate.

To cause to rise and fall or vary irregularly.

Therefore they didn't directly power through the shield, they made them unstable. That to me means they simply didn't drain all the energy that were supplied to the shields.

Not to mention, if these weapons were so uber, then once they have ZPM's, who could actually stop them. That's why I think they'll balance it down to them not being anywhere near as effective against something like an Asuran shield or whatever.

There has been plenty of argument about that, and most of the people on here agree that the weapons were NOT tied into the ZPM, but more than likely tied into the Asgard power core. It's also more than likely that a similar power core will be installed on all of our ships from now on, or at least something with a similar power output. Power should no longer be a problem for Earth ships.
      What evidence is there that the weapons were powered by the new power source. In 'Unending' the only thing that was referred to as 'core', was the computer core.

Thor stated that the 'computer core' had it's own paower source, so wouldn't take anything away from the ZPM to run it. However the new computer was tied into all the ships systems.

If it was powering a number of systems throughout the ship already, then why would they need to reroute power conduits across the ship into the computer core in order to be able to use the time-dilation technology. If it was already powering the systems, then there would have been no need to reroute power into it since they would have already been connected previously.

The fact is the computer core which has it's own power source, is tied into all the ships systems, however we know also for a fact that it isn;t powering all of them because of what they stated above.

If they could install Asgard power sources, then why not build a bigger one in Atlantis, meaning they'd never need ZPM's ever again.

From JM's blog on April 21st:

Anonymous #4 writes: “1. I was wondering if you can tell us the exact size of.
      2. Will we see Atlantis on the move in later eppys in season 4, kind of like Progeny and First Strike, Adrift. 3. Am I right to assume that Zpms are not going to be consequential to Atlantis in season 4 as they were in the past seasons.

Answer: 1. Again, off the top of my head, I don’t know. 2. Depends what you mean by later eppies. 3. The ZPM’s will always be a much sought after piece of technology.

From the April 30th blog, he posts a pic of a new improve rail gun that we'll be seeing in S4.

Chances are if they had all the stuff on the Odyssey into the other 304's, then there would never be any real drama & suspense because they would be so powerful. In the mid-season 2 parter, they say Carter is working at Hermy's former workstation to oversee some over the new ship mods. If the 304 had the new Asgard computer core that is linked to all the ships sytems. Wouldn't she be doing it from there.

They may get the energy weapons, that will be less powerful because of the lack of ZPM. Thus striking a balance of not having an uber weapon that could destroy anything at the drop of a hat.

Asgard power sources, cloaks & all the rest, I cannot see them getting!

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
        We never saw the shields being dropped! We also don't know if it depleted them either!

You don't need to deplete shields totally in order to get damage inside the ship. This is why we see the 304's being at 60% or whatever & sparks flying everywhere inside the bridge etc.

How exactly do you know that it's 'crap' to have the notion that they were specifically designed for Ori shields. I think it's actually logical, we know the Asgard spent a year working on everything. So it is very possible that a large part of it was spent studying scans of the Ori ships shields. I think it's 'crap' to discount it.

They even state in the episode that after something like 4 shots, that they are getting fluctuations in the Ori shields. We also know they found fluctuations when the Ori ships actually fire their main weapons.

The definition of 'Fluctuation' is:

1. To vary irregularly. See Synonyms at swing.
        2. To rise and fall in or as if in waves; undulate.

To cause to rise and fall or vary irregularly.

Therefore they didn't directly power through the shield, they made them unstable. That to me means they simply didn't drain all the energy that were supplied to the shields.

Not to mention, if these weapons were so uber, then once they have ZPM's, who could actually stop them. That's why I think they'll balance it down to them not being anywhere near as effective against something like an Asuran shield or whatever.
        You're mistaken. Thor said he spent the better part of a year preparing the Odyssey to be retrofitted as oppose to looking for weaknesses in the Ori shield. That's speculation.

Unending transcript:

THOR:
        If you like, you'll be able to interface with the core using a holographic representation of me, or any other Asgard on record in the knowledge base.

CARTER:
        I'm sorry, but that just won't be the same.

THOR:
        (somewhat hurt)
        I have been working on this for the better part of a year, Colonel Carter.

Granted (using semantics) that the Odyssey didn't deplete the Ori shields before destroying them, it still doesn't prove the Asguard studied Ori shields prior to the encounter. All it proves is that, the Asguard created an effective beam technology.

In the mid-season 2 parter, they say Carter is working at Hermy's former workstation to oversee some over the new ship mods. If the 304 had the new Asgard computer core that is linked to all the ships sytems. Wouldn't she be doing it from there.
        What's your point?
        Last edited by randy23; 05 July 2007, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
          I think they are the same weapons that were on the oniell but they learned how to sustain the pulse giving a more beam like effect, greatly increasing the power of each shot fired.
          I agree with you. Although I wish the Asgard would have given us a couple O'niell Class ships. After all they weren't going to use theres again so instead of destroying them hand them over with the rest of their tech.
          sigpic

Comment

1 laser = probably as powerful as the Ori main weapon. More powerful than Asuran satellite weapon.

Only Annubis super weapon directed at the planet is more powerful, but not by that much. But Annubis dispersed weapon directed at Hatak ships is less powerful than Odyssey weapons or Ori ships main weapon.

Thus the most powerful ship to ship weapons built so far=Odyssey's lasers.

So the Odyssey having 3 lasers = about 3 times the firepower of Ori ship.

Bear in mind that 7 shots destroyed an Ori ship, which was impervious until then.

In season 10 first episode, it did not appear that Ori ships took any appreciable damage from the onslaught of about 12 Hatak's, O'Neill class ship or earth ships. From Vala's POV this is pretty clear. The ship she was riding in looked to have taken no damage.

Only ship in the Stargate universe which appeared invincible=Ori ships.

They will be installing these weapons later in the 4th season on other Earth battle cruisers. Now if they were only effective against Ori ships, why bother? Clearly that is not the case. There will be a lot of upgrades to Earth ships in season 4: Weapons, shields, possibly hyper drive.

Comment

I beg to differ about the asuran satelite thing, calculating by time alone the asuran beam was 115.6 times more powerful than a single wraith hive ship. On slaught of less than 12 Hataks, her ship was on the inside of the formation, the outer ships would have divided up the fire recieved by the defending ships. It makes sense that the ships on the flanks would have taken more damage being that there is more exposed surface area to hit. But we still didnt see the bridge of the ori vessel at the flanks therefore we dont have an accurate guage of how their shields were doing.
              Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Ori beam weapon, 1 hit, Korvolv lost 50% shield strength and was crippled.

Similar faith occurred to the Odyssey.

Asuran beam weapon, nowhere near that kind of effect. It is far less powerful than the Ori weapon.

Comment

but it is 116 times stronger than an wraith hive ship's blasts. That is undenyable.
                  Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Entreri View Post

Asuran beam weapon, nowhere near that kind of effect. It is far less powerful than the Ori weapon.
                    You can't prove that. You have absolutely NO data to confirm that.
                    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Entreri View Post

Mckays shield enhancements could have been used and maybe in the short turn Ori weapons are stronger but in the long term the Asuran weapon will do more damage due to being a continuous beam.
                      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                        You can't prove that. You have absolutely NO data to confirm that.
                        Absolutely correct. All his arguments are a statement without any cause beyond his personal opinion.

Back up your arguments with at least SOME facts or at LEAST a little deductive reasoning, PLEASE.
                        www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Working...
                        X