This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randy23 View Post
    Why I don't understand is this implied notion that, the ZPM was the primary reason for why the hyperdrive, weapons, and other integral systems on the Odyssey were "boosted", giving no credit at all to the actual Asguard designs. The ZPM is a substitute for the Neutrino cores. NOTHING MORE. Ask yourselves, why would the Asguard build shields and weapons if they could not power them to its full potential? What would be the point?
    The problem is that the 304's don't automatically come with ZPMs, and they need a system that still functions on the little trickle of power that comes from a human ship's energy systems.

What the Asgard did build is a power-variable system. The system gets more powerful as more power is added on, but was designed to be sufficiently powerful even without a ZPM.

Comment

i think they will be using the oddessy anytime soon since they would probaly be down in its hangar with nerds doing research on it and learning everything from it.

Spoiler:
      season says carter come to atlantis in her own ship, presumably a new one, 304 with abit of asgard knowledge and tech
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
        i think they will be using the oddessy anytime soon since they would probaly be down in its hangar with nerds doing research on it and learning everything from it.

Spoiler:
        season says carter come to atlantis in her own ship, presumably a new one, 304 with abit of asgard knowledge and tech
        Highly unlikely, considering "First Strike"/"Adrift" will be happeneing at THE SAME TIME as "Unending".
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Entreri View Post
          Asgard have the biggest brain, they are literally all brain. Physically puny yes, but the smartest.

Asgard upgraded their shields, it said so in the episode. And you can do calculations to see the 6 fold increase in shield strength (Korvolov lost 50% shields and was crippled by 1 hit from Ori weapon).

Odyssey has lasers, cut through anything. Wait till season 4 for your confirmation. Odyssey lasers will eat through Aurora class shields easily or any shields for that matter, 1 shot will destroy Hatak ship.
          I was gonna cut your post to shreds, because its really bad. But i decided to just do this instead.

PEW PEW PEW LAZARZ
          www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
            I was gonna cut your post to shreds, because its really bad. But i decided to just do this instead.

PEW PEW PEW LAZARZ
            normally I'd get annoyed by posts like this... but in this case I agree.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post

PEW PEW PEW LAZARZ
              Yes, my children. The followers of IcyNeko will be granted Ascension free with purchase of a Big Mac Extra Value Meal.

Comment

Let's face the facts, the Oddessy is a pretty powerful ship, though the only thing she can be compared to is an Ori Mothership. We can safely say that the Oddessy is, therefor, better than almost all Goa'uld ships and is certainly better than the Wraith vessels (though I imagine sustained fire from a number of hives would batter the shields hard, even with the Zed-P-Em!!!)

We can't compare the Oddessy to the Ancient's ships, because the only class we have seen is the Aurora; Orion and it was a pile of junk!

Don't forget, boys and girls, Daniel re-programmed the shield to act as a cloak with the aid of the ZPM.... makes her a formidable bit of tech!
                We need a Zed-P-Em to power the gate!

Comment

Originally posted by LanteanAndy View Post
                  Let's face the facts, the Oddessy is a pretty powerful ship, though the only thing she can be compared to is an Ori Mothership. We can safely say that the Oddessy is, therefor, better than almost all Goa'uld ships and is certainly better than the Wraith vessels (though I imagine sustained fire from a number of hives would batter the shields hard, even with the Zed-P-Em!!!)

We can't compare the Oddessy to the Ancient's ships, because the only class we have seen is the Aurora; Orion and it was a pile of junk!

Don't forget, boys and girls, Daniel re-programmed the shield to act as a cloak with the aid of the ZPM.... makes her a formidable bit of tech!
                  This guy's a genius!

Comment

Aurora class was the Ancient main battleship and it is laughable. No wonder they lost, such a pitiful weak ship.

"I was gonna cut your post to shreds, because its really bad. But i decided to just do this instead."

Go ahead child.

Asgard upgraded everything on the Odyssey, they gave them all they had before dying (writers obviously want the Asgard kicking all butt, they were after all not humanoid).

G'ould ships are the weakest ships now.

Odyssey>Ori>Ancient>Hive>G'ould

Comment

Originally posted by Entreri View Post
                      Aurora class was the Ancient main battleship and it is laughable. No wonder they lost, such a pitiful weak ship.

"I was gonna cut your post to shreds, because its really bad. But i decided to just do this instead."

Go ahead child.

Asgard upgraded everything on the Odyssey, they gave them all they had before dying (writers obviously want the Asgard kicking all butt, they were after all not humanoid).

G'ould ships are the weakest ships now.

Odyssey>Ori>Ancient>Hive>G'ould

What are you ON about? The Aurora-class vessels we've seen are VERY powerful. The only reason the Orion was destroyed was because it had been damaged and unrepaired for 10,000 years and could not properly transfer power from shields to weapons, and could only use one at a time. Even then, the ship only had enough power left in its core to fire a single salvo of drones.

That means that derelict Aurora-class ships ARE very weak, yes. But normal ones? I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
                        The problem is that the 304's don't automatically come with ZPMs, and they need a system that still functions on the little trickle of power that comes from a human ship's energy systems.

What the Asgard did build is a power-variable system. The system gets more powerful as more power is added on, but was designed to be sufficiently powerful even without a ZPM.
                        IcyNeko, a power-variable system seems unlikely. The lasers on the Odyssey likely should have a limit in how much energy it can release. Don't tell me if there were 3 ZPMs powering the Odyssey that the laser strength would increase proportionally. What happens to the laser when it stores and releases the energy? Does it somehow intuitively resize itself in order to accommodate with the increased energy output? That doesn't sound practical in terms of volume efficiency. Or worse, couldn't an overload occur? A quasi-transfomer seems more plausible in this case, which would convert large amounts of energy into usable quantities.

Not unless there's new information, Asguard technology (hyperdrives, shields, and weapons), like with anything else, has to have a power limit in relation to energy intake. Meaning, it cannot utilize more energy than it was intially designed for. This brings up my original question: why would the Asguard create technology they themselves could not power to its full potential? It makes no sense. Therefore, the Asguard had [to] have had a similar power source like a ZPM, or atleast, something that would duplicate the shield and weapons performance of the Odyssey when it destroyed an Ori mothership. Basically, I don't believe the ZPM is the reason why the Odyssey's shields, weapons, and overall systems are functioning the way they are; it has more to do with Asguard designs than anything else, because the Asguard also had a powerful energy source running their Oneil-class ships - neutrino cores. A ZPM is simply a substitute, because as we know, the Asguard recently destroyed their home planet rich with nuetronium; and it's probably going to take a while before a similar planet can be found. So I think it's very fortunate that the Odyssey has a ZPM - no, more like a plot device.

Adding, I do believe the Asguard upgraded the shieds on the Odyssey. My reason: the special effects group went out of its way to make the detail of creating blue flashes inside the command centre everytime a shot from an Ori mothership landed on Odyssey. I mean, if the shield design never changed, why bother? I think, even using solely naqudriah reactors as the primary power, the new shield updates would've made a signficant difference, in my opinion.
                        Last edited by randy23; 04 July 2007, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I believe in another thread some one did the math and a single Ion Neutrino generator gives out nearly as much energy as a ZPM does. About 1 billion giga watts or something like that and their old Beliskner model had 4 generators, so the Oniell probably had something that gave out more than 4 billion giga watts. (I think it was an absurdly high amount of power). We do know the shields of a 304 before the Asgard upgrades were significantly more powerful with the ZPM in it, because Novak warned Caldwell that when the ZPM leaves they should expect a large drop in the shields.

Entreri, if you didn't notice the aurora was basically a husk (which was surprisingly very well preserved on the inside, a testament to its ruggedness), the orion was taken out of a repair bay and still had enough power in the shields to last 4 seconds under extreme heat, pressure and could withstand an impact against a larger solid object. We had a barely functioning ship when we took on the hives in No Mans Land, and even though it didn't survive it took a hell of a beating. The Hive weapons fire is one of the more powerful weapons in stargate (at the time the show aired it was the second or third most powerful ship based energy weapons). Its ability to still fire even when the ship is taking so much damage is incredible, its almost a guarantee that a 304 would have lost weapons capability. You base your views on the ship because its shields were turned off and it didn't last long enough to take out both hive ships. If you want to argue about the Tria, if we have it in our possession its very likely its the most salvage able, probably the only problem is that the hyperdrive is out of order, if anything else was out of order they had 400+ years to fix it. (Yes i did do the calculations), and 99.9%c is extremely fast its sublight systems are by far the fastest we've ever seen. So if your saying the Aurora class vessels were crappy ships your sorely mistaken, and seeing how it functions id say in a group their efficiency would increase exponentially.
                          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                            I believe in another thread some one did the math and a single Ion Neutrino generator gives out nearly as much energy as a ZPM does. About 1 billion giga watts or something like that and their old Beliskner model had 4 generators, so the Oniell probably had something that gave out more than 4 billion giga watts. (I think it was an absurdly high amount of power). We do know the shields of a 304 before the Asgard upgrades were significantly more powerful with the ZPM in it, because Novak warned Caldwell that when the ZPM leaves they should expect a large drop in the shields.

Entreri, if you didn't notice the aurora was basically a husk (which was surprisingly very well preserved on the inside, a testament to its ruggedness), the orion was taken out of a repair bay and still had enough power in the shields to last 4 seconds under extreme heat, pressure and could withstand an impact against a larger solid object. We had a barely functioning ship when we took on the hives in No Mans Land, and even though it didn't survive it took a hell of a beating. The Hive weapons fire is one of the more powerful weapons in stargate (at the time the show aired it was the second or third most powerful ship based energy weapons). Its ability to still fire even when the ship is taking so much damage is incredible, its almost a guarantee that a 304 would have lost weapons capability. You base your views on the ship because its shields were turned off and it didn't last long enough to take out both hive ships. If you want to argue about the Tria, if we have it in our possession its very likely its the most salvage able, probably the only problem is that the hyperdrive is out of order, if anything else was out of order they had 400+ years to fix it. (Yes i did do the calculations), and 99.9%c is extremely fast its sublight systems are by far the fastest we've ever seen. So if your saying the Aurora class vessels were crappy ships your sorely mistaken, and seeing how it functions id say in a group their efficiency would increase exponentially.
                            Very impressive post. And thanks for going into more detail on the Aurora-class ships.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                              Very impressive post. And thanks for going into more detail on the Aurora-class ships.
                              "You base your views on the ship because its shields were turned off and it didn't last long enough to take out both hive ships."

No, when the Aurora had it shields up, it was taking a huge pounding and they were forced to turn the shields off in order to fire or be destroyed. Aurora's shields were pretty pathetic.

Aurora class is pathetic compared to the Odyssey or the Ori ships.

Compared to Hive or G'ould ships, Aurora's are awesome.

Relative.

Comment

the odyssey looked pretty bad inside the bridge every engagement with the ori vessels in Unending and we dont know how much it was rocking in the Ori motherships, hell we have nothing on their shields except that they are strong and fluctuate when they fire. Every ship that were under fire looked pretty bad when shot at, it doesnt make the aurora class less than our 304s. If you want to make it even compare the upgraded Odyssey with an aurora with a ZPM in it. Actually compare all the other ships with the 304s, considering a ZPM tied into both ship's systems, if not your argument holds no water.
                                Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Working...
                                X