This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SigmaNunki View Post
    I'm thinking that transporting an object and creating one from energy are two very different things.

But, even if they're not, that power problem is rather a difficult one. At our level of tech, we aren't exactly creating tonnes of it.

EDIT: Oops. Sorry for repeating. Didn't read to the end of the thread before replying.
    When making a specified object it probably is the same device for rematerializing an object for beam transport, because they both do the same function by turning energy into matter. The way i see it is, when they needed to beam out the Helcyon Tower in Ex Dues Machina they were able to do it within minutes, being that bomb still went off on time i'd say they did a very good job rematerializing the entire structure correctly and completely. Therefore id think it would probably give the same result in mass production of 304 parts.
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
      When making a specified object it probably is the same device for rematerializing an object for beam transport, because they both do the same function by turning energy into matter. The way i see it is, when they needed to beam out the Helcyon Tower in Ex Dues Machina they were able to do it within minutes, being that bomb still went off on time i'd say they did a very good job rematerializing the entire structure correctly and completely. Therefore id think it would probably give the same result in mass production of 304 parts.
      This still doesn't address the power consumption problem.

EDIT: In fact, you haven't addressed either of my points.

Comment

This still doesn't address the power consumption problem.

EDIT: In fact, you haven't addressed either of my points.
        I pretty thoroughly explained the first one, and touched the second.

I'm thinking that transporting an object and creating one from energy are two very different things.
        Not really, when you reintegrate a person during beaming you turn energy into the exact copy the person or object being transported. Creating objects with the Asgard "matter replicators" turns energy into matter, pretty straight forward. My guess on why we didn't do that before is the Asgard locked up their transport beaming technology with fail safes really well. And we probably didn't have the program that to get the reintegration beam to work making previously nonexistent objects, from a database.

But, even if they're not, that power problem is rather a difficult one. At our level of tech, we aren't exactly creating tonnes of it.
        there is a lot of mass in a building like the one in Ex Dues Machina and the Prometheus seemed to be able handling reintegrating the structure. We dont have to worry about the energy usage in vaporizing the object first. Technically it should be 1/2 the power usage of transporting an object, when you materialize new objects. Therefore creating objects nearly twice the size of that tower should be fairly simple.

If this is poorly written sorry, got back from the beach and watching the fireworks.

Comment

Originally posted by Londo Molari View Post
          From SG-1's poop.

Seriously.

All matter is carbon based (I think) including feces so technicly this would be possible. I'd say she used random particles, human waste (what else would they have done with it?) & possibly carbon dioxide.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
            All matter is carbon based (I think) including feces so technicly this would be possible. I'd say she used random particles, human waste (what else would they have done with it?) & possibly carbon dioxide.
            All matter is carbon based? So that's why we have the periodic table where non-carbon matter is on. For instance, in pure gold (Au) there is not a single carbon atom or what about silicium (Si).

However if you talking about "Organic compounds" then yes, all of that is carbon based.

Otherwise, I'd say Carter simply used the modified beaming technology in combination with the Asgard Database, which probably also contains a lot of human knowledge, to simply turn energy into protons, neutrons and electrons which in turn would form the atoms and later on in the process the molecules which become the device she wants to have.

Or in other words, the modified beaming tech works probably the same as the technology used to build the Sangraal but with an easier interface.
            Signed,

Gregorius
            Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
            Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

We should hear no more complaints from the SGC about budget restraints when we could single handedly change world economy by changing the worth of gold

Comment

Why create gold? Just replicate the materials you need and you'll be working far more efficiently without collapsing an important part of the world economy.

Budget contraints? Just replicate some currency of several different countries/areas just to spread the risk.
                Signed,

Gregorius
                Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                  But Listen, What If We Could Turn Matter Into Zpm Power!?!??!
                  NOOOO!

Comment

well the asgard database must have a lot of designs for technology new type of hull but as long there is a design for it the asgard replicator should be able to produce it.

the next thing what you should think about is the computing power it seems the asgard computer core is more advanced then a quantum computer.
                    in order to read and store patterns for objects (non living).

Comment

i would really like to see us use the Asgard carbon, naquadah and trinium alloy they used for the Oniell on one of our vessels. Pretty sure we could take a hell of a beating with our shields off.

Comment

Originally posted by marcws View Post
                        yes but that's all they have to do is look in the atlantis database and check up zpm's see what it's made of and voila.
                        We have been looking through the database on atlanis for how long now,and not seen anything on zpms? Hek do we even know what their true names are?.

Comment

This is out of the blue, but when i did a science project on the scanning tunneling microscope now it's hard to remember this clearly, but the scanning tunneling microscope if not mistaken is used to look at an atom I think ,but not sure anyways when i was researching the scanning tunneling microscope the internet said something about if we can get to the atoms it is possible we could rearange them to make something. Like for an example you have a pencil then you could rearange the atoms of the pencil and for all youknow it could make a quarts crystall, or a cheese burger.
                          Anyways in startrek their replicator which is our asgard matter converter when it makes something like coffea in coffea cup it pops up lookng like they beamed it in thier. Just like on sg-1 in "unending" the cello looks like its beemed in there.

But like i said out of the blue.
                          But yet i think your right because like i said make a pencil into a cheese burger. they probably did take chairs or maybe even their waste products possibly anything like their garbage to make oxy gen and food and water. I mean if we or when we get that kind of technology we won't have to waste anything the pollution coming from cars could be made into pencils or wood so we wouldn't have to constantly cut stuff down.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            We have been looking through the database on atlanis for how long now,and not seen anything on zpms? Hek do we even know what their true names are?.
                            But if you noticed in season 1 when it shows weir back in time with the ancients she was telling jonas and the councle about sending her back to her time maybe with a zpm lateron jonas was asking her whate she meant then she said zpm zero point module and then he recognised it. MAybe tha database is harder and more picky but there is a chance that it might pop up.

Comment

@2ndgenerationalteran:

"""
                              Not really, when you reintegrate a person during beaming you turn energy into the exact copy the person or object being transported.
                              ...snip...
                              """

Actually, you're wrong. It is *a lot* easier to take things apart than to put them together again i.e. there are issues with information loss when the Heisenberg uncertainty principle gets involved (quantum mechanics is a strange place). If you want to test this, just go ahead and get a hammer and break something and try to put it back together exactly as before. And that's just classical/statistical physics.

This is pretty much the reason why there was transporter psychosis in Star Trek.

It has also been mentioned several times in the series that even with the beacon things (can't remember the exact term right now) it was difficult to transport things. So, why you think that either direction is simple...

"""
                              there is a lot of mass in a building like the one in Ex Dues Machina and the Prometheus seemed to be able handling reintegrating the structure. We dont have to worry about the energy usage in vaporizing the object first.
                              ...snip...
                              """

1) We most certainly DO need to worry about the energy usage in "vaporizing" the object first. Or do you think that those bonds are going to release themselves if we ask politely? Do you think that that energy is come from the aether?

I really don't think that you understand how much energy is even in just an apple.

2) The Prometheus has either a zpm or a naquida reactor, can't remember which. The problem with this is that they produce *much* more power than we are able to with means that we have today, which is the exact tech that is used in the StarGate 'verse.

Since *both* of these things are in *limited* supply, energy concerns are paramount.

When it comes to creating ships, etc using this transporter tech, why didn't the Asgard use this "simple" method to quickly construct there stuff? After all, Thor was less than impressed when they had to blow-up the O'Neil. This doesn't exactly tell of a simple, quick construction.

EDIT: Sorry it took so long to reply. I haven't been feeling well lately and as such, haven't been a the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by genius21 View Post
                                the next thing what you should think about is the computing power it seems the asgard computer core is more advanced then a quantum computer.
                                Um, where are you getting that from? Because right now, we don't have a clue as to what the actual power of a Quantum Computer would be because 1) it's still current research and 2) one hasn't been built yet.

Basically, lets wait till the thing is more than just squiggles on a black-board and actually exists before we start making wild speculation.

Comment

Working...
                                X