X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
    no, i meant the McKay-Carter Intergalactic Gate Bridge
    At the expense of a lot of gates which took 1 1/2 years to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Amb. Shepphard(ARC) View Post
      At the expense of a lot of gates which took 1 1/2 years to work.
      gates, that i believe, were not used, or from empty planets

1.5 years to build a road to another galaxy.... i think that is at the least enormously impressive...
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Hardly, effectivly its stepping stones across a river. Anyone could have come up with the idea of gates across the void. Obviously the programme for it is a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
          Hardly, effectivly its stepping stones across a river. Anyone could have come up with the idea of gates across the void. Obviously the programme for it is a different story.
          Agreed.

Comment

so you're to tell me that structuring the generation of 17 individual gravitational wells into one massive wormhole stretching 1.5 million light years not once, but TWICE, is a simple thing?

shiya... rihight...

we mastered intergalactic travel in under 2 years WITHOUT A ZPM... that's a huge accomplishment

Comment

so if i understand you correctly, you want to develop some kind of spatial compression technology. the technology we've seen so far has had nothing to do at all with that. we've seen phasing tech, interuniversal travel, articifial time dilation, transplanar weapons, molecular deconstruction and reconstruction, but never in all the time the show has been on have we seen spatial compression that i can recall. it's interesting though. the closest stargate analogy i can think of is a ZPM, which is basicly a miniature universe in a bottle. trick is that universe is artificial. spatial compression is a completely different beast though. i can only imagine that involves multidimensional physics that we can't grasp yet.

if i understood right, you want to create a field around a construct (ship) or whatever and then collapse that field into a smaller size then send that through a gate of some sort, using its dematerializing/rematerializing nature to get it somewhere fast. it's got possibilities. i don't really see it happening anytime soon though. it's probably more likely they'd develop some kinda foldspace drive or slipstreamlike drive system, though those are systems used in other shows. hyperspace is what stargate uses so that's what they go with.

now that i think about it. something we've seen that can more or less produce the same effect is like when vala got to the ori galaxy. she was dematerialized by rings and then the matter stream was captured by a supergate and she rematerialized there. if you could perhaps use a transporter or a giant size ring transporter to dematerialize a ship and then send that matter stream through a gate and have the gate reconstruct it back at full size again. it's the same effect without having to use spatial compression.
              That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Comment

so you're to tell me that structuring the generation of 17 individual gravitational wells into one massive wormhole stretching 1.5 million light years not once, but TWICE, is a simple thing?

shiya... rihight...

we mastered intergalactic travel in under 2 years WITHOUT A ZPM... that's a huge accomplishment
                Actually, Pegasus is 3 million light years away from the Milky Way, not 3 million light years for a round trip.

Vala,

Comment

He got confused with my post about it taking to build the bridge 1 1/2 years.

Comment

That is a method, presumably, of FTL travel, but wouldn't actually condense the physical size of an object. Any part of the ship that was too big to fit through the wormhole would be be left behind if you tried to compress the ship and send it through a gate. That is, if you could actually act fast enough to aim the ship at the wormhole to start with.

I'm not a theoretical physicist, but I have a feeling that if this idea was truly possible, which in real life it isn't, you could travel millions of miles in a matter of seconds, but the actual size of the ship would remain the same. The "bubble" would be formed around the ship and compress space outside of the bubble to rocket the ship across the stars. But this is impossible for the same reason that the ship cannot be compressed. Things cannot be physically compressed without damage and extreme amounts of energy.

Think of a plastic water bottle... point A is at the tip and point B is at the bottom. With effort you can actually compress the bottle and bring the points close together- or in the sense of this discussion, you can compress the same amount of plastic into a smaller vessel. BUT when you try to unfold that bottle it will never be perfect again- and the diameter of the bottle never changed. You could repeat the experiment over and crush the bottle's diameter, but then the length would never change. And to actually compress space you must be able to compress them both at the same time with the energy at hand.

Now, a Tachyon drive would be the most logical choice to span the galaxies in a matter of seconds. If you could harness and then release even a few Tachyon particles you would be shot across the stars at incredible speed.

Comment

shiya... rihight...

The Gate Bridge does not involve one massive wormhole. One gate dials the next in the bridge, passes on the matter stream and closes the wormhole. The gate which now has the matter stream dials the next gate, passes on the matter stream, and shuts down. And this process continues until the matter stream makes it to Midway and is repeated for the rest of the journey.

The McKay-Carter Intergalactic Gate Bridge is essentially a relay race, with the baton being the matter stream. Gotta suck having a relay with no one to race against
                      Maybe we should give the Asurans the idea just so we can see whose is quicker!

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                        The Gate Bridge does not involve one massive wormhole. One gate dials the next in the bridge, passes on the matter stream and closes the wormhole. The gate which now has the matter stream dials the next gate, passes on the matter stream, and shuts down. And this process continues until the matter stream makes it to Midway and is repeated for the rest of the journey.

The McKay-Carter Intergalactic Gate Bridge is essentially a relay race, with the baton being the matter stream. Gotta suck having a relay with no one to race against
                        Maybe we should give the Asurans the idea just so we can see whose is quicker!
                        lol

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                          Actually, Pegasus is 3 million light years away from the Milky Way, not 3 million light years for a round trip.

Vala,
                          uhm, duh, no kidding... i know that

1.5 million light years from the MW to the midway station, then another 1.5 million light years from the midway station to pegasus... hence 3 million light years one way.... 17 gates from MW + 17 gates from pegasus = 34 gates...

do try to keep up

and no, i'm not confused by it...

Comment

Originally posted by boxvic View Post
                            That is a method, presumably, of FTL travel, but wouldn't actually condense the physical size of an object. Any part of the ship that was too big to fit through the wormhole would be be left behind if you tried to compress the ship and send it through a gate. That is, if you could actually act fast enough to aim the ship at the wormhole to start with.

I'm not a theoretical physicist, but I have a feeling that if this idea was truly possible, which in real life it isn't, you could travel millions of miles in a matter of seconds, but the actual size of the ship would remain the same. The "bubble" would be formed around the ship and compress space outside of the bubble to rocket the ship across the stars. But this is impossible for the same reason that the ship cannot be compressed. Things cannot be physically compressed without damage and extreme amounts of energy.

Think of a plastic water bottle... point A is at the tip and point B is at the bottom. With effort you can actually compress the bottle and bring the points close together- or in the sense of this discussion, you can compress the same amount of plastic into a smaller vessel. BUT when you try to unfold that bottle it will never be perfect again- and the diameter of the bottle never changed. You could repeat the experiment over and crush the bottle's diameter, but then the length would never change. And to actually compress space you must be able to compress them both at the same time with the energy at hand.

Now, a Tachyon drive would be the most logical choice to span the galaxies in a matter of seconds. If you could harness and then release even a few Tachyon particles you would be shot across the stars at incredible speed.
                            you do realize that we're talking about science FICTION... where it only has to make sense within the context of the show? i mean trying to actually do some of the stuff on SG is simply impossible (slowing down time within a bubble... creating a ZPM, etc...) a spacial compression bubble is no more outlandish than a time dilation field

Comment

you do realize that we're talking about science FICTION... where it only has to make sense within the context of the show? i mean trying to actually do some of the stuff on SG is simply impossible (slowing down time within a bubble... creating a ZPM, etc...) a spacial compression bubble is no more outlandish than a time dilation field
                              That is more of the Star Trek area.

Comment

Originally posted by Amb. Shepphard(ARC) View Post
                                That is more of the Star Trek area.
                                and stargates, replicators, intergalactic beings existing on different planes of reality, phase shifters, cloaks, shields, time dilation fields............. and massive microsingularity pan-galactic gravitational wells are not?

please explain yourself

Comment

Working...
                                X