• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 days.

That's my point.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkygate View Post
      i thought it only took seconds because the ida galaxy was really close compared to the Pegasus galaxy... i remember distinctly that either general Laundry or Colonel cater saying that it wold take the asgard a maximum 4 days to reach the pegasus... at full power

can some tell me the figure on how long it took the dadaelus to reach pegasus galaxy with the ZPM (in the episode siege3 sea2ep1)
      Wier told Wolsey a Asgard ship would shave off 2 weeks off the travel time with the Daedalus, which takes about 18 days. You did the elementary math, they didn't say it. And the Daedalus travels from Earth to Atlantis in a little over 3 days.
      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte
        we do not have enough data to draw a proper conclusion. There are so many plot holes...one does not know what to believe anymore.
        Quoted for truth.
        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Why do people think that if it's better or worse, it only has to do with power?

What about less efficient systems?

Where is the proof that the hyperdrive aboard tau'ri ships are as good as the latest asgard hyperdrives they put on their own ships?

Why do you think the asgard council never really wanted to pass anything to the humans?

Why would the Asgards give a hyperdrive that is just as fast as theirs, so they can't catch the Tau'ri ships if they start doing bad things?

Etc.

Please, stop thinking that the presence of lack of a ZPM is the be and end all of the performance discrepancies.
          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post

Where is the proof that the hyperdrive aboard tau'ri ships are as good as the latest asgard hyperdrives they put on their own ships?

Why do you think the asgard council never really wanted to pass anything to the humans?

Why would the Asgards give a hyperdrive that is just as fast as theirs, so they can't catch the Tau'ri ships if they start doing bad things?

Etc.

Please, stop thinking that the presence of lack of a ZPM is the be and end all of the performance discrepancies.
            Its not only the power but also the hyperdrive itself.

Comment

Probably because the show has protrayed it that way for the last few seasons.

You mean like an Ion-Neutrino generator, which is the size of the Prometheus, or a ZPM which is smaller than a breadbox?

Watch Unending.

Because we're a bunch of monkey-boys with the brains of children?

This no longer matters.

Right on!

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                Watch the language. Firstly, your using a logical fallacy to tie two things together. Its just like when Al Gore says "ITS HOT, GLOBAL WARMING".
                Your basically concluding one of two things:
                A) Asgard hyperdrives are more efficient(quite possible)
                B) Asgard power sources are the equivalent of ZPM's(possible, but less likely)

This is limited because there are so many other unexplored reasons. Firstly, an Asgard O'neill class is many times larger than Daedalus, and we don't really know what factor that could play. It is made of different materials, and might actually be more "streamlined" for traveling through hyperspace. AS unlikely as though seem, there are any number of reasons for why the Asgard travel as fast as they do. It is not limited to the two easiest conclusions.

Firstly, he has a point. You do seem to immediately post negative things in every thread. No insult intended, just an observation. You could try phrasing things to sound a bit less confrontational. But I'm not your mom, so *shrug*

Anyway, you can't make the Al Gore comparison... even Bush is saying global warming's a problem now lol (the two of them agreeing is like Vala and Daniel actually getting together in REALITY)

But you're right about the possiblity that it could simply be a difference of hyperdrive strength. After all, the Daedalus's hyperdrive was given to Earth from the Asgard, and they seem to give Earth tech that has limitations for fear of us misuing it. We don't know if it's comparable to a hyperdrive onboard an Asgard ship.

(The Belliskner traveled from the middle of nowhere to Earth in seconds, after all, with the Prometheus in tow)

EDIT: I know about "Unending", and if you think about it, the Odyssey's hyperdrive is still slow. It takes a while to get from place to place still, whereas Asgard hyperdrives, again, can cross galaxies in minutes.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  Firstly, he has a point. You do seem to immediately post negative things in every thread. No insult intended, just an observation. You could try phrasing things to sound a bit less confrontational. But I'm not your mom, so *shrug*
                  Can text 'sound' confrontational? I know it can 'read' like that, but sound?

Anyway, you can't make the Al Gore comparison... even Bush is saying global warming's a problem now lol (the two of them agreeing is like Vala and Daniel actually getting together in REALITY)
                  Dude, jimbo is hardcore right-wing, he'll never admit Gore was right about anything! (I'm half kidding, and off topic now )

But you're right about the possiblity that it could simply be a difference of hyperdrive strength. After all, the Daedalus's hyperdrive was given to Earth from the Asgard, and they seem to give Earth tech that has limitations for fear of us misuing it. We don't know if it's comparable to a hyperdrive onboard an Asgard ship.
                  That is no longer the case.

(The Belliskner traveled from the middle of nowhere to Earth in seconds, after all, with the Prometheus in tow)
                  It was 8 seconds. Yes, I timed it.

EDIT: I know about "Unending", and if you think about it, the Odyssey's hyperdrive is still slow. It takes a while to get from place to place still, whereas Asgard hyperdrives, again, can cross galaxies in minutes.
                  I think they need to add fins to the Odyssey. Maybe paint some flames on it. That'll make it look faster at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                    Can text 'sound' confrontational? I know it can 'read' like that, but sound?
                    lol good point.

Dude, jimbo is hardcore right-wing, he'll never admit Gore was right about anything! (I'm half kidding, and off topic now )
                    that's why it's so hard top believe he DID, but there are miracles.

That is no longer the case.
                    True, I suppose. But Asgard hyperdrives in previous seasons are still a LOT faster than the Odyssey with upgrades, so... Odd.

It was 8 seconds. Yes, I timed it.
                    laughing... so... hard... you actually timed it?

I think they need to add fins to the Odyssey. Maybe paint some flames on it. That'll make it look faster at least.
                    haha. But I still think that the Odyssey isn't as fast as it could be. Like I said, Asgard hyperdrives seem to be much faster than the upgraded Earth ship.
                    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Probably because the show has protrayed it that way for the last few seasons.
                      Please show.

You mean like an Ion-Neutrino generator, which is the size of the Prometheus, or a ZPM which is smaller than a breadbox?
                      Again talking about power sources.

It's obvious that standard tau'ri ships can handle more power that their own power core can provide, but it's also necessary to not forget that like anything, a power conduit has a given maximum flux, and it's not because you stick all the power of the universe inside your ship's power grid that it will be used correctly.

Ergo, there's just no reason to assume that Earth's ships can fully exploit the power of a ZPM. For the notice, event Atlantis' power conduits don't seem able to handle more than 6% of a ZPM per second (3 x 2% /s more exactly).

Watch Unending.
                      It's most irrelevant. The speed discrepancies is a subject that largely precedes even the writing of this episode.

Because we're a bunch of monkey-boys with the brains of children?
                      Exactly.

This no longer matters.
                      It does, for the same reasons that Unending is just an extra layer to a problem which is far older.
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

A Star Trek proverb:
                        Your speeds may vary every episode.
                        Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

True, I suppose. But Asgard hyperdrives in previous seasons are still a LOT faster than the Odyssey with upgrades, so... Odd.
                          Not really. The series took a new direction after season 5. Prior to season 5, the Asgard were the big dogs, but the writers slowly phased them out of the picture over the next 4 seasons (and ultimately all together) in order to present us with the ancients. Everything from season 6 on was pretty much devoted to the ancients; most of the technology found was ancient-built, most of the plot devices to save the day were ancient in origin. They even gave us an entire series that focuses on the ancients after they left the Milky Way (Atlantis), and a series that focuses on the ancients before they got to the Milky Way (SG-1 season 9 & 10).

It's all ancients, all the time these days.

laughing... so... hard... you actually timed it?
                          Of course. Carter gave us an approximation of the distance they had traveled (1200 LY), so timing their return to Earth would give us an idea how fast they were traveling (~150 LY/s)

Like I said, Asgard hyperdrives seem to be much faster than the upgraded Earth ship.
                          They were very very fast, but the writers wanted to focus all the "wow" on the ancients after season 5, so we saw less and less of the Asgard and more and more ancient technology.

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn
                          Please show.
                          Season 1 of Atlantis, Rising, they use the ZPM to boost power to the Stargate so they can dial the Pegasus galaxy and find Atlantis.

Season 2 of Atlantis, The Siege Pt. III, they put the ZPM in the Daedalus to boost it's power in order to increase it's speed.

Season 3 of Atlantis, McKay & Mrs. Miller, they use the ZPM in order to open a portal to another universe in order to generate more of their own ZPE in this universe.

Are we seeing a trend here? Boosting the power of any device makes it better/faster/stronger.

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn
                          Again talking about power sources.
                          Actually, my point was about efficiency. The Asgard generators are massive, while the ZPM is a tiny little thing; ZPMs have a smaller footprint than the Neutrino-Ion generators.

Comment

Season 1 of Atlantis, Rising, they use the ZPM to boost power to the Stargate so they can dial the Pegasus galaxy and find Atlantis.

Season 2 of Atlantis, The Siege Pt. III, they put the ZPM in the Daedalus to boost it's power in order to increase it's speed.

Season 3 of Atlantis, McKay & Mrs. Miller, they use the ZPM in order to open a portal to another universe in order to generate more of their own ZPE in this universe.

Are we seeing a trend here? Boosting the power of any device makes it better/faster/stronger.
                            Yes, and now pick the quotes which actually quantify the amount of energy a ZPM holds, and those about 304 and biliskner hyperspace speeds.
                            The trend is broken. It's not a simple question of size/power of a power source, it's a question of efficiency of all the other systems which are part of the power grid which you neglected.

Plus that's a bit but funny from the person who claims in another thread that a Biliksner's four generator can only output a total of 4 terajoules.

Comment

The trend is broken. It's not a simple question of size/power of a power source, it's a question of efficiency of all the other systems which are part of the power grid which you neglected.
                              My original point, which you seemingly missed, is that the writers don't give a crap about the efficiencies of other systems. Their one-chot cure for everything is increasing the power.

If the writers wanted to tell us how much more efficient Asgard systems are compared to Goa'uld, they would have. Instead they decided to wow us with their generators energy output...

Plus that's a bit but funny from the person who claims in another thread that a Biliksner's four generator can only output a total of 4 terajoules.
                              I quoted Thor saying that a single Neutrino-Ion Generator outputs 1 billion kilojoules, which is 1 terajoule. Since that ship has four such generators, it's output is 4 terajoules, if you take Thor's word for it.

Don't attribute that to me. I converted it into watts because that would actually make sense.

Comment

Not really. The series took a new direction after season 5. Prior to season 5, the Asgard were the big dogs, but the writers slowly phased them out of the picture over the next 4 seasons (and ultimately all together) in order to present us with the ancients. Everything from season 6 on was pretty much devoted to the ancients; most of the technology found was ancient-built, most of the plot devices to save the day were ancient in origin. They even gave us an entire series that focuses on the ancients after they left the Milky Way (Atlantis), and a series that focuses on the ancients before they got to the Milky Way (SG-1 season 9 & 10).

It's all ancients, all the time these days.
                                no offense, but so what? that has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Asgard hyperdrives being very very fast. All your saying is that the Asgard have been absent recently... So what...?

Comment

Working...
                                X