Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when a ship is cloaked, why dont weapons work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disrupts the cloak field
    Originally posted by cowpants
    ...you did it. I can't believe you actually did it. I am quite frankly astounded that you did it.

Thanks to you, I now want several mods to start mating with each other. I wanting to see what Moderator procreation will have in store for us.

And I thought that no one could get me to want this.

Congrats Mapp, you are officially the single most disturbed individual on GW.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Rosilin for pres

Comment

He is ridiculous idear that will never ever get done, but here goes.

In the ep " Grace under water " Shepperd and Dr Zelenka where able to extend the shield to Mckay's jumper.

What if we could some how extend the Shield on the Daedalus and link the Daedalus and the odyssey together. The Odyssey's Cloak will make them both invisable and Daedalus's Shield will protect them both.

With both ships having a Azgard shield would make it would even stronger than one ship on its own. The Odyssey ( we assume is getting the upgrades from SGC) will have the energy wepon, both ships cloaked and both ships shielded.

BOOM, Wraith hive disroyed!
      This is Colonel Steven Caldwell
      Commander of the Earth ship Daedalus
      we are ready to assist you!

" open up those bays all batteries "

sigpic

Comment

Just one issue, theres no guarantee that their cpositioning will allow them to sit side by side allowing both to bring their maximum firepower to bear they might have to sit atop each other reducing the number of weapons they can fire. Then theres the issue of if such sheild extending will or will not over-strain the respective power sources of either ship.
        "It's because you just cant spell manslaughter without the laughter..."

"If you move around the letters in "Ori Infantry" it spells Meatsheild."

Comment

Originally posted by StevenCaldwell View Post
          He is ridiculous idear that will never ever get done, but here goes.

In the ep " Grace under water " Shepperd and Dr Zelenka where able to extend the shield to Mckay's jumper.

What if we could some how extend the Shield on the Daedalus and link the Daedalus and the odyssey together. The Odyssey's Cloak will make them both invisable and Daedalus's Shield will protect them both.

With both ships having a Azgard shield would make it would even stronger than one ship on its own. The Odyssey ( we assume is getting the upgrades from SGC) will have the energy wepon, both ships cloaked and both ships shielded.

BOOM, Wraith hive disroyed!
          Again, this is disproven with modern science. Shields operate on frequencies, and if the defensive shields are hidden under a layer of cloaking shields, the defensive shields will block out certain frequencies, which effective renders the cloak useless. Defensive shields block out frequencies and distributes energy flows.

Likewise, if you activate a cloak under a defensive shield, the cloak will interfere with the defensive shield. Also, enemies would be suspicious if they can detect a shield bubble and see nothing there.

Comment

They did it in Nemesis. Regardless, we don't really need a cloak to knock out a single Hive anymore. I believe that in a true 1v1 fight, Daedalus could destroy a Wraith Hive, and the Odyssey most certainly could take out a couple at once.
            www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Oh those tricky remans. Who knows how they did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                They did it in Nemesis. Regardless, we don't really need a cloak to knock out a single Hive anymore. I believe that in a true 1v1 fight, Daedalus could destroy a Wraith Hive, and the Odyssey most certainly could take out a couple at once.
                Spoiler:
                After watching Unending I daresay it could probably take out more than a couple at once. Considering it took, what, 3-4 seconds tops for it to take out an Ori mothership, I rather expect it could take out a hive even quicker than the Orion did. Probably more along the lines of what the Ancient defensive station managed to do to it in the Siege. With all of the upgraded systems I daresay it could have taken on the entire fleet of hives in the Siege singlehandedly before the Wraith even knew what pwned them. If I were the captain I'd be like "Jam this!" followed by "Fire at will! All weapons!"

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
                  Again, this is disproven with modern science. Shields operate on frequencies, and if the defensive shields are hidden under a layer of cloaking shields, the defensive shields will block out certain frequencies, which effective renders the cloak useless. Defensive shields block out frequencies and distributes energy flows.

Likewise, if you activate a cloak under a defensive shield, the cloak will interfere with the defensive shield. Also, enemies would be suspicious if they can detect a shield bubble and see nothing there.
                  but the shield would be under the cloak so there would be nothing there. the Odyssey would cloak the Daedalus and the its shields would cover the Odyssey.

sigpic

Comment

but the shield would be under the cloak so there would be nothing there. the Odyssey would cloak the Daedalus and the its shields would cover the Odyssey.
                    Yes, but having the shield under the cloak would prevent the energy from the cloaking field to get through intact. That's the point I think they've been trying to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28 View Post
                      Yes, but having the shield under the cloak would prevent the energy from the cloaking field to get through intact. That's the point I think they've been trying to make.
                      Oh ok i thought u might of been able to do it that way. Thank for clearing it up me Avatar 28 have some green!!!

sigpic

Comment

Oh ok i thought u might of been able to do it that way. Thank for clearing it up me Avatar 28 have some green!!!
                        No problem. It was a good thought, I just don't think it would work. I expect that it will remain an either/or proposition for the foreseeable future.

Comment

well it would be pritty cool to have the Daedalus link to the Odyssey. we can just have to figer out away to boost the cloak frequency to make it through the shield, that way we could have the shield raised and still cloaked aswell!

sigpic

Comment

Cloaking shields are designed to absorb light. That means it has to operate on a ton of spectrums (frequencies) of light. If it doesn't, the cloak fails on that frequency, and another ship's sensors can detect the ship. That's why cloaks have to operate on all frequencies.

Defensive shields are designed to block and disperse frequencies, However, there is usually one frequency that a ship's shields will be set at, and if a weapon is set to that frequency, it can bypass the shields. We saw this in Star Trek Generations. This shield frequency is called a harmonic, and it can be changed (remodulation).

Cloaking shields can not project through defensive shields, because defensive shields are desinged to deflect frequencies. So you wouldn't be able to project a cloakign shield through a defensive shield matrix. Unless you do it on the harmonic. Then it's perfectly fine. What's the problem with doing it on the harmonic? Your cloak would only cloak THAT PARTICULAR FREQUENCY because that would be the ONLY one that made it through the defensive shield.

Some of you that aren't so technology/engineering savvy will think that defensive shields are like a wall, and the harmonic is a hole in teh wall. You'll then propose wacky ideas like "LET'S BOOST POWER SO WE CAN PROJECT THE CLOAK THROUGH THE HOLE.

No.

Defensive shields are like extremely fine sifts (http://www.filtsai.com/cooking/choco...sift_flour.jpg -- the white thing). Most frequencies are "too big" and will get caught in the shield. Only things of that frequency will make it through the defensive shield. And since cloaks operate on all frequencies of light, it won't make it through the defensive shield.

Comment

This one just seems like a universal law of Sci-Fi nowadays. Cloak generator and shield generator do not compute!

Cloaking shields are designed to absorb light. That means it has to operate on a ton of spectrums (frequencies) of light. If it doesn't, the cloak fails on that frequency, and another ship's sensors can detect the ship. That's why cloaks have to operate on all frequencies.

Defensive shields are designed to block and disperse frequencies, However, there is usually one frequency that a ship's shields will be set at, and if a weapon is set to that frequency, it can bypass the shields. We saw this in Star Trek Generations. This shield frequency is called a harmonic, and it can be changed (remodulation).

Cloaking shields can not project through defensive shields, because defensive shields are desinged to deflect frequencies. So you wouldn't be able to project a cloakign shield through a defensive shield matrix. Unless you do it on the harmonic. Then it's perfectly fine. What's the problem with doing it on the harmonic? Your cloak would only cloak THAT PARTICULAR FREQUENCY because that would be the ONLY one that made it through the defensive shield.

Some of you that aren't so technology/engineering savvy will think that defensive shields are like a wall, and the harmonic is a hole in teh wall. You'll then propose wacky ideas like "LET'S BOOST POWER SO WE CAN PROJECT THE CLOAK THROUGH THE HOLE.

No.

Defensive shields are like extremely fine sifts (http://www.filtsai.com/cooking/choco...sift_flour.jpg -- the white thing). Most frequencies are "too big" and will get caught in the shield. Only things of that frequency will make it through the defensive shield. And since cloaks operate on all frequencies of light, it won't make it through the defensive shield.
                              This is a good explanation.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Genius_McKay View Post
                                This one just seems like a universal law of Sci-Fi nowadays. Cloak generator and shield generator do not compute!

This is a good explanation.

IcyNeko, you have good reasoning. But you really can't use StarTrek universe science in a Stargate universe debate. The two seem to follow completely different laws of physics. Still, I'm pretty sure Carter has discussed shield frequencies before so it still applies in this case.

Comment

Working...
                                X