No announcement yet.

BC-304 vs. Imperial Star Destroyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK I would just like to ask you all how can you even compare any ship to a ship of Star wars? In Star wars its like Darth Vader would go to a shipyard and order the guys there to build a ship with the size of a planet, weapons powerful as a supernova, its powered by 10 artificial black holes, shields that never fail, 10 km thick armor, and so on.
    In Stargate they like to keep the things somewhat realistic.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    A tribute to the Asgard, a great race, great allies and our best friends!
    The Tau'ri will not forget about you.

Your legacy is safe with use.

Comment

^

You have to remember that when Lucas first conceived the idea of Star Wars, the original premise wasn't meant to be sci-fi per se, but rather a fairytale set in space (aka space fantasy). All the basic elements were there, such as a kid living quietly in some backwater place, only for his entire life to forever change and to embark upon a grand quest to rescue the princess from the clutches of a dark lord and his even nastier emperor and to ultimately overthrow the Evil Empire (TM) and restore a lost order of knights who upheld justice.

Of course, all the studios back then refused to fund ANH since they balked at the idea of the traditional fantasy setting being replaced by big honking starships with even bigger honking guns, so Lucas was forced to fund ANH on his own. And the rest is history.

Comment

So far people think that the oddy would beat a ISD but not a SSD, is that right?

Because I believe that the ISD would destroy the oddy because of experience in space combat, more firepower, better fighters, and a tractor beam that would prevent the oddy from moving
        Vote Anubis for President in 2012
        A Face you Can Trust
        sigpic
        So whats the worst that could happen?
        Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
        It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

the tractor beam would only work if they were able to get the Oddy in front of it
          the ISDs TIEs would overpower the Oddys sheilds
          Originally posted by cowpants
          ...you did it. I can't believe you actually did it. I am quite frankly astounded that you did it.

Thanks to you, I now want several mods to start mating with each other. I wanting to see what Moderator procreation will have in store for us.

And I thought that no one could get me to want this.

Congrats Mapp, you are officially the single most disturbed individual on GW.
          Spoiler:

Spoiler:
          Rosilin for pres

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
            So far people think that the oddy would beat a ISD but not a SSD, is that right?

Because I believe that the ISD would destroy the oddy because of experience in space combat, more firepower, better fighters, and a tractor beam that would prevent the oddy from moving
            even a Hive would have trouble with an SSD; the things 19 kilometers long and has over 300 Independantly firing batteries with much better firing arcs than an ISD; a few Auora or 6-7 Wraith hives would own the SSD but the oddy would indeed be toast unless it surprised it and beamed a nuke onboard.

we don't really know how strong the Ori shields are to get a messure of how powerful the oddys weapons are. all we know is that the Ori shields can take a hatak slamming into them full force without even breaking a sweat but the Oddy can pwn the shields in a few salvos. we also know that the Toilet beam can pwn a hatak in one shot; but the new oddy shields can take 6-7 without buckling. so if a Hatak (pre nuby) is rated at 2000 megatons; we know thats the minimum yeild for a toilet beam; so we know the minimum stress for the shields is 7000 megatons. thats if we use the most conservative estimates.

ISD weapon power ranges from 25 megawatts right up to 500Gigatons a shot but we also know whatever the power, there accurasy is crap.

if we factor out crews completely (since the empire may have been doing this longer but still seem incompitent and ...well we've seen Caldwell go head on with a hive ship 3 times his ships size); Honestly I'm leaning towards the Oddy for a winner but not without it taking a beating.
            sigpic

Comment

Weapons- I have to desagree with you here. The ISD had 100 Turboblasters and 80 Ion Cannons. Also these weapons can destroy the surface of a planet so they have crazy amounts of firepower so they would easily overpower with that much weapons.
              Let me correct you real quick. From the Imperial Source book for west end games, an ISD has the following weaponry:
              60 Turbolaser Batteries (20 front, 20 port, 20 Starboard)
              60 Heavy ion cannons (20 front, 15 port, 15 starboard, 10 rear)
              10 Tractor beam projectors (6 front, 2 port, 2 starboard)..

BUT i do agree, since we have seen an ISD's weaponry pulverize asteroids (ESB) but have yet to see the oddessy's (or toilet bowls) weaponry do anything to them, i give firepower to the ISD.

Agility- I have to disagree here because both ISD and the SSD have tractor beams which would prevent the oddy from even moving so that takes away its agaility
              Agreed. 2-3 tractor beams, and the Oddy is held in place... BUT that is assuming we can get a lock on.

Engines- Doesn't matter if the Oddy can go 80% light speed if the SD just tractor beams it.
              Too true. Though i would love to know if it would stop the Oddy going to hyperspace..

Crew- The Imperal Navy would win they have years more experience so they know how to fight in space. The USAF is used to fighting on a planet while the Imperal Navy (not that good in the movie) knows what to do
              If the ISD crew is not hampered by script imunity for our heroes, or other wise wrote badly, then agreed.

Fighters- Tie Fighter wins hands down. The pilots have experience fighting in space while the USAF pilots are still getting used to space combat. Also the tie fighter has unlimited ammo and is highly more maneuvrable then the f-302
              But don't forget...NO SHIELDS!!! Even a 302 ramming into them would probabily prove disasterous. Though i am not sure what damage the 302 would take doing that..

Well SD can destroy planets so then the shields would go down and the Oddy. I mean the firepower of a SD is amazing and it would bring the shields down of the oddy right away.
              Sorry to say, but the isd cannot DESTROY planets. Yes it can (given time) render the surface uninhabitable,

Here is what the SD would do. They would tractor beam the Oddy, launch tie-fighters, Tie-Bombers, Tie-Intercepters and any other fighters or shuttles they have. Then they would fire turboblasters, Ion Cannons, missles and anything else they had. The F-302's would get destroyed by the Tie's and the Oddy would get blown out of the water by the awsome fire power of the SD.
              Agreed on all but the missiles/torps... they don't have any.. Though if it was a victory rather than an imperator class, they do have 80 concussion missile tubes...

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
              Accually as the Tie's are crappy shots
              Where you getting that ties are crappy shots...

cont next post.

Comment

Cont from last post.

Originally posted by Acidbuk View Post
                As for the Tractor beams - if the Oddy gets THAT close; its doing something wrong and lets no forget that the weapons of the ISD are pulsed whereas Oddys weapons look beam based and the ISD has one critical flaw being it has no weapons on the underside so oddy can just sit on the underside out of tractor range and keep firing until something breaks.
                That is A) assuming the Oddy knows of the unweaponed underbelly and B) gets a chance to move under it. As to the tractorbeams, they are surprisingly good ranged weapons, being comparable to the ion cannons for distance.

Originally posted by 123NotIt View Post
                302s do have cannons. and Imperator Class Star Destroyers, the most common kind in the Empire, don't have any weapons that fire aft.
                Wrong... 10 of their Ion cannons do fire aft.

Originally posted by Lord of Nightmares View Post
                A lot of the scenarios played out in the posts thus far with regards to the Odyssey defeating the ISD seem to rely on the fact that the former vessel's captain has a fairly in-depth knowledge of what an ISD is (schematics, strengths and weaknesses, etc.) and how to exploit its weaknesses. However, assuming that both vessels encounter one another for the very first time, it's logical to assume that the Odyssey might attempt to briefly directly engage the ISD head-on to gauge its strength (kinda like with the Daedalus and the Hiveships), and if that's the case, there's a very good chance that the Odyssey'll be toast before they even have a chance to escape into hyperspace (although that's not to say that the ISD will come out unscathed).
                That is very true.. If neither know of the other's weaknesses (eg stay out of the others main weapon areas, shield domes on the ISD are weak etc) then i would give the battle easily to the ISD. How ever if both captains know of the other's weaknesses/tactics, i might have to give it to the Oddy.

Originally posted by Peoples_General View Post

Really? Yet, the NEVER USED it in the battle over Endor.
                Probabily cause they were SCRIPTED TO show incompetance...

Against something the size of the Odyssey however (which is roughly a quarter to slightly over a third the size of an ISD at best), the the tractor beams would almost definitely have an effect
                Very good point... though at most only half of those 10 tractor beams would be able to lock on at any one time.

Also, if it's an Interdictor Imperial-class Star Destroyer (yes, there is such a vessel in SW canon), then it also comes equipped with four gravity well projectors which when activated prevent any vessel from jumping into hyperspace (in addition to actually being capable of pulling vessels out of hyperspace), which is also another serious handicap to the Odyssey's hit and run tactics.
                I am not sure if the Grav well projectors would have any effect on the Oddessies attempt to go into hyperspace... Though if they were in the tractorbeam when they tried, they would certainly be stopped.

Comment

[QUOTE=garhkal;6512390]Cont from last post. That is A) assuming the Oddy knows of the unweaponed underbelly and B) gets a chance to move under it. As to the tractorbeams, they are surprisingly good ranged weapons, being comparable to the ion cannons for distance. [quote]

True but we've seen Deady go up against hive ships head on and alledgadly those Hive puses range into the multi gigatons and we've easily taken several minutes of fire pre-Oddy upgrade; also Tractor beams I'm not sure if they'd work on the Oddy due to the Asgards Gravity wave generator thingys

Spoiler:
                  Wrong... 10 of their Ion cannons do fire aft.

My Mistake; though Ion cannons are like big EMP guns; something the Oddys systems would be already shielded against even with human tech

Spoiler:
                  That is very true.. If neither know of the other's weaknesses (eg stay out of the others main weapon areas, shield domes on the ISD are weak etc) then i would give the battle easily to the ISD. How ever if both captains know of the other's weaknesses/tactics, i might have to give it to the Oddy.

I still give it to the oddy as the humans here have shown more adaptability. the Imperial navy seemed to stick its fingers in its ears and go lalala even when its blatently not working. plus Asgard sensors are far more advanced than the Imperials so it could pick out weak spots faster.

Oddessies attempt to go into hyperspace... Though if they were in the tractorbeam when they tried, they would certainly be stopped.
                  depends on if the hyperspace engine displaces gravity like the B5 jump system.
                  sigpic

Comment

I disagree

The shields on the Star Destroyer would prevent beaming a nuke and the Star Destroyer has so many weapons on it that I dont think it can miss
                    Yep, they have shields, but it takes a specific cypher in order to prevent beaming, doesn't it?
                    "I don't know what Irony means but I use it alot, Ironic isn't it"

"Sure there have been deaths and injuries in boxing, but none of them serious"

Bloke:Fat Penguin
                    Woman:What
                    Bloke:I just wanted to say something that would break the ice.

Comment

Accually the Imperial ships you're talking about are called Interdictor Cruisers. They're the same wedge shape as the Star Destroyers but they're smaller. Also they're weaker in weaponry & shielding as their main function is their Gravity-well generators to stop nearby ships from jumping into hyperspace. If anyone on here has the game 'Star Wars: Supremacy' (In America 'Star Wars: rebellion') you could find out every specification on every starwars ship in that game. (I would check but tbh I can't be bothered)

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

True but we've seen Deady go up against hive ships head on and alledgadly those Hive puses range into the multi gigatons and we've easily taken several minutes of fire pre-Oddy upgrade; also Tractor beams I'm not sure if they'd work on the Oddy due to the Asgards Gravity wave generator thingys
                        Where you getting the wraith weaponry are int the gig range??

My Mistake; though Ion cannons are like big EMP guns; something the Oddys systems would be already shielded against even with human tech
                        Well we know that the dadelus was affected by the EMP from their exploding reactor. So why would the rest be sheilded??

I still give it to the oddy as the humans here have shown more adaptability. the Imperial navy seemed to stick its fingers in its ears and go lalala even when its blatently not working. plus Asgard sensors are far more advanced than the Imperials so it could pick out weak spots faster.
                        Thats cause they were scripted that way... Was it not so, i feel that the imp navy would have owned any opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          Where you getting the wraith weaponry are int the gig range??
                          Rising 2, Misbigoten, Seige I, II, III, No Mans Land. though I agree theres been a lot of inconsistantcy with episodes like Setada where they appeard to have no more effect than an AIM-120E. its like the whole Gou'ld and there 200 megaton-a-shot power. though power is mesured really in Wattage and Joules but thats a whole other kettle of fish.

Well we know that the dadelus was affected by the EMP from their exploding reactor. So why would the rest be sheilded??
                          Actually that was the Prommie; I'd say they shielded against the EMP on the Oddy and Deady mainly because most Major military hardware thesedays is hardened against EMP in the real world

Thats cause they were scripted that way... Was it not so, i feel that the imp navy would have owned any opposition.
                          the Imp Navy were pretty incompitent and complacent; Vader was the only one who seemed to show any kind of stratergy and planning; not that the US airforce have shown much better to be honest.
                          sigpic

Comment

the Imp Navy were pretty incompitent and complacent; Vader was the only one who seemed to show any kind of stratergy and planning; not that the US airforce have shown much better to be honest.
                            Grand Admiral Thrawn aka Mitth'raw'nuruodo (his Chiss name) was the strategy guy. Vader was more like Patton. Ol' blood and guts i believe it goes in the movie. Our blood, his guts.
                            That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Comment

this is cute.

arguing over fictionous vessels.

bottom line: Star Destroyer.

Because YES. The turbo lasers can fire ranging from gigawatts to terrawatts, and YES, they are equipped with over 40 of them. On all sides! It's a 360 deg defense.

But then again, the SW universe is much more advanced than the SG one. So this is only to be expected. Like i said...it's comparing apples and oranges.

Comment

i agree.

the IDC's grav wells would work on SG ships as well. I mean, thats more about the theoretical physics of hyperspace. SG is not exempt from that just cuz it's not the same SCI-FI universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X