Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
    To some I think
    That's probably the only point I'd agree on with you.

To some, it's canon. To others, it's not. Thankfully, after years of nonsense, this question has been officially adressed. A LFL representative recognized the existence of two canon policies. One incoporates the EU, the other does not.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
      To some I think
      Yeah, I've got to agree. I consider most of it cannon, but the young 'Boba Fett' stories and Dark horse's 'Dark Empire' don't sit well with me.
      sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

The Millenium Falcon does not fire missiles, it has torpedoes jus like X-Wings.

the falcon is known to have at least two concussion missile tubes mouted to the foreward firing arc but I have yet to see any indication of it ever having torpedoes.

Possibly, but this is one of those cases where sheer numbers may outweigh quality.

remember most basic ties were still unsheilded.
        "It's because you just cant spell manslaughter without the laughter..."

"If you move around the letters in "Ori Infantry" it spells Meatsheild."

Comment

See, it's for this reason that I hate cross-series comparisons and "WHICH WOULD WIN? YOUR MOM OR AN IMPERIAL SHUTTLE BOUND FOR JABBA'S PALACE". YOu can't quantify any of the levels to be used for comparison. You can't compare on ANY level. It ends up being retards spewing fan jism in an attempt to look smarter. It's like the special olympics of fandom. Good grief.

P.S.: Your mom would win. She'd eat teh shuttle before it could do anything.

Comment

wanna see some enraged fanboys... start comparing trek and starwars the sheer volume of crazy arguements is staggering. until someoen designs a cross over roleplay system that gives neither an advantage we'll never know what the true results will be.

Comment

That's why nukes were invented, son. To sterlize fantards.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
                See, it's for this reason that I hate cross-series comparisons and "WHICH WOULD WIN? YOUR MOM OR AN IMPERIAL SHUTTLE BOUND FOR JABBA'S PALACE". YOu can't quantify any of the levels to be used for comparison. You can't compare on ANY level. It ends up being retards spewing fan jism in an attempt to look smarter. It's like the special olympics of fandom. Good grief.

P.S.: Your mom would win. She'd eat teh shuttle before it could do anything.
                Before calling us retards, you may also try to understand what people say.
                Saying that "you can't compare on ANY level" is absurd. If a spaceship of a design relatively known, uses a newtonian system to accelerate, and another ship, from another universe, uses a same system, then you can compare their accelerations.
                Mind you, that's just an example, as "an attempt to look smarter".
                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

there in lay the problem, very few are willing to pare it down to such simplistic terms, or for that matter are willing to formulate their on arguements as opposed to regurgitating what some 'guy' posted on a site somewhere on the 'net.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                    Before calling us retards, you may also try to understand what people say.
                    Saying that "you can't compare on ANY level" is absurd. If a spaceship of a design relatively known, uses a newtonian system to accelerate, and another ship, from another universe, uses a same system, then you can compare their accelerations.
                    Mind you, that's just an example, as "an attempt to look smarter".
                    Let me clarify the concept of comparison. When there is a "versus" thread, you're generally saying "can brand x defeat brand y". Are all the scales of measurement on the same standard? Probably not. Laser strength in either universe hasn't been properly quantified, nor has hull strength. Stargate is closer to our universe because it doesn't take place "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away". Power generation hasn't been properly quantified for comparison.

So basically, you end up comparing to the amount of "PEW PEW PEW LAZORS ZOMG" that one side can spew compared to the other.

You can't compare. There's no ONE standard to compare anything by. Just a lot of "PEW PEW PEWPEWPEW".

Comment

Since the laws of physics are probably different in each universe it would all depend on what universe the ships are fighting in. D's power system itself might not function in the star wars universe so Victory would be to the SD. Same thing, otherway around D would be the victor.

HERMIOD: 'Crap' indeed.

Comment

Exactly. So again, "PEW PEW PEWW"

Comment

I could ask the question that, if you're not interested in this sort of discussion, why post in this sort of thread?

With a bit of effort, it is possible to work out the strength of weaponry and of shields, hulls etc. You can use real science as a marker- for example, if weapon X destroys 100 miles of land, you can work out what it would really take to destroy 100 miles of land and arrive at a rough figure for what weapon X can do. If weapon X destroys 100 miles of land in one episode of a show, then 1,000 miles in another, rather than say 'inconsistency', see first of all if the difference can be rationalised.

You're bound to end up with disagreements over figures from time to time (see me and Mr Oraghan), but there's nothing wrong with a healthy debate about stuff like this- it's fun for some, not so for others, and for those who don't like it, don't waste time on the threads in question- simple really.
                          To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
                          http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
                          http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
                            Let me clarify the concept of comparison. When there is a "versus" thread, you're generally saying "can brand x defeat brand y". Are all the scales of measurement on the same standard? Probably not. Laser strength in either universe hasn't been properly quantified, nor has hull strength. Stargate is closer to our universe because it doesn't take place "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away". Power generation hasn't been properly quantified for comparison.

So basically, you end up comparing to the amount of "PEW PEW PEW LAZORS ZOMG" that one side can spew compared to the other.

You can't compare. There's no ONE standard to compare anything by. Just a lot of "PEW PEW PEWPEWPEW".
                            I think I perfectly know what the concept of comparison is, and I have probably nothing to be told from someone who doesn't even bother to eventually imagine that certain things can be quantified, and actually read what's been done.
                            Quantification works hand in hand with observation and logic, to provide in universe sensible explanations. The very purpose of a thread like this.
                            The existence of versus debates is only a consequence of this activity, and actually fuels it.

As for the laws of physics in versus scenarii, it's ironical that while you enjoy pompously lecturing people on what a comparison of two universes is supposed to be about, you don't even know that they (the laws) are considered to be identical by default. Newtonian physics will be the same. Quantum physics will be the same. Any special phenomenom that occurs in universe X wil be able to occur in universe Y, unless a hampering specific context is mentionned, observed or put in place deliberatedly.

For example, a naqahdah generator will work both in Stargate and Star Wars, nevermind if Star Wars has no naqahdah to be found.

Now, you may have a problem with the concept of versus, fine.
                            No one forced you to come here.
                            You may want to see less versus threads, fine. Go tell a mod.

Meanwhile, you're free to shove your attitude and get off here. It's remarkable that you've not already been warned for your uncalled and gratuitous libel.

Comment

seriously, are there exact stats for the BC-304 anywhere to be found? I have yet ot see a detailed weapons load out other then what can be firued based ont he number of missile doors are seen in one particular picture.

Comment

Figures for the firepower of some of the nukes a BC-304 can carry have been worked out based on the size of the explosions they cause against planetary targets. A few issues remain- as the most powerful nukes don't seem to be standard issue- but we have a rough idea of how powerful 304 shields are too, from working out the firepower of a Goa'uld mothership and looking at how both ships stand up to Ori weaponry.
                                To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
                                http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
                                http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                                X