Practical uses of Jaffa helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gkyun View Post
    Well...with such fine piece of machinery just to inflict fear and terror seems a bit of a waste to me, especially when the upper body is heavier because of the helmet and with limited vision, which could seriously degrade ones combat worthiness.

If that's all it can do then I wonder how the Jaffa's going to scare people away when he tripped over because he couldn't see the rock right in front of him.
    Hey, those things have to weight a ton so I'm sure if they fall on TOP of you that would be scary.
    WraithQueenH

"You are more like Wraith than you know."
    "I'm not sure I like the sound of that."
    "There is much about Wraith that you do not know, Sheppard."
    - John Sheppard and Todd, "Common Ground"

"We all agree the Ancients were pretty screwed up. All the ones I met were arrogant and condescending and not for good reason. Now they made giant mistakes and never fixed them." - John Sheppard

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
      But the serpant gaurd helet just unfolded. Was that a cheap version or mayb just an older design?
      Short on money and tech? If you look at the details, you'll see that Apophis was always running. My guess has always been that SG-1 or not, Apophis was almost finished anyway.
      So to assume that he couldn't even build the super folding helmets requires all but a small push of logic.

Originally posted by dahok View Post
      Going by the pilot, the armor was quite effective against standard bullets, even close range. Then came armor piercing rounds and later the P90 which has a little more firepower for the particular role.

If the armor was useful against firearms, I'd assume those primitive worlds would have great difficulty getting through it. Then I just (re)watched It's Good to Be King and saw a villager kill a Jaffa with a single crossbow bolt in the back.

There goes my theory on the armor. Much like Stormtroopers, a full set of armor that can't protect against any blaster or Ewok sticks.
      That's a TV trope, that even medieval armour offered zero protection against arrows or swords. Few films actually show the truth, and it takes cunning to strike a blow between armour plates for example.
      You had the same problem with a viking killing another Jaffa with a tomahawk sort of axe on Cimmeria, although such weapons are actually very good, notably due to their mass. But the shot, man, that was very lucky.

Now remember that even in CotG, the chain mail wasn't 100% bullet proof.
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
        Short on money and tech? If you look at the details, you'll see that Apophis was always running. My guess has always been that SG-1 or not, Apophis was almost finished anyway.
        So to assume that he couldn't even build the super folding helmets requires all but a small push of logic.

That's a TV trope, that even medieval armour offered zero protection against arrows or swords. Few films actually show the truth, and it takes cunning to strike a blow between armour plates for example.
        You had the same problem with a viking killing another Jaffa with a tomahawk sort of axe on Cimmeria, although such weapons are actually very good, notably due to their mass. But the shot, man, that was very lucky.

Now remember that even in CotG, the chain mail wasn't 100% bullet proof.
        That's what I mean how hard would it have been to have those weapons hit the chain mail bit or a joint in the plates instead of crapping all over continuity.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

It contains there lunch.
          if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
            wasnt there a episode where you can see the jaffa point of view through a serpent helmet and it was all red when he saw trhings

??? i remember something like that
            Now I think the episode in question was the one where the Tok'ra used the mind devices to check the existence of eventual spies. They first find that some SG soldiers had been brainwashed, first remembering fleeing Horus guards through the woods at night, and then thinking they escaped.
            Perhaps we briefly saw the point of view of one of those Horus guards through the helmet, but I'm not sure.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I think the helmets are, like everything else the Goa'uld designed, for intimidation, not practicality. Have you seen the Futurama episode where Fry and Bender work at the Cryo lab after being fired? Bender puts on a creepy mask. It's pretty much the same idea: To scare the living **** out of people.
              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Londo Molari View Post
                If you read the stargate novels, the jaffa helmets do have nightvision.
                Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                Well considering you are aren't supposed to see through the helmet, it would make sense to me if there was some sort of internal HUD that would allow them things like nightvision, maybe motion sensors or various other methods of view, so it pretty much turns the Jaffa into Predators.

I've always been disappointed that they've never been able to show us what a jaffa sees inside the helmet as I get the impression it gives them a normal view inside, so they can turn their heads and look up and see eveything normally.
                well, some seem to think the jaffa are only alien equiped, snake pouched and large schoolyard bullies....

i have to disagree, the jaffa were much more (as seen in tealc, when he really fights jaffa like, like in the episode with the ancient used to destroy the earths stargate when he, bratak and ryac fight after ringing down from the cargoship) and if they are - which they are - they surely have some technologies inside their masks (do you think apophis would go through the inconvenience of wearing one if it is only for show? (he could do "for show" otherwise, too, so the thing has to offer something for wearing it!
                and the novels are surely Stargate so they should be canon (and if they say the jaffa have nightvision, then they have nightvision, which is perfectly logical as the jaffa do not always fight idiotic primitives, but are an army for all purposes and therefore are used to fight more advanced civilazations where intimidation is nearly useless!)

greetings lax

Comment

Errors in the scripts a lot. But ideally in helmets should be equipment for sighting, nightvision and respiration in an aggressive environment and if the Lord wants - shield. This model was on Tea'c at the time when at he shots. But the full version can be issued is not always but only then when the Lord will wish. Heavy ax breaks bulletproof vests, and here. But with a bow and arrows....... So in the eighth season of the authors of the script has a lot of mistakes made.
                  And of course that the Ra more advanced technology that does not have Apophis.
                  Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
                  SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

Good read indeed......... but it should have read the helmets should fit VERY snug at first because the liner breaks down thus getting looser imgimages/icons/tongue.gif/img imggraemlins/burnout.gif/img

Comment

Originally posted by techwork View Post
                      Errors in the scripts a lot. But ideally in helmets should be equipment for sighting, nightvision and respiration in an aggressive environment and if the Lord wants - shield. This model was on Tea'c at the time when at he shots. But the full version can be issued is not always but only then when the Lord will wish. Heavy ax breaks bulletproof vests, and here. But with a bow and arrows....... So in the eighth season of the authors of the script has a lot of mistakes made.
                      And of course that the Ra more advanced technology that does not have Apophis.
                      and those two errors could be solved easy just make the arrows head shots

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Here's my use for them, it's kinda funny. They use the helments to deal with younger unruly jaffa. I can just see this.

On a planet. A couple of jaffa are about to ambush some other jaffa. Then one of the younger jaffa says something stupid and the other jaffa looks at him and bonks him on the head with his helment. That's why some jaffa wear the thing that Bra'tac wears on top of his head, as shock absorbers.

Gate Ranger
                        sigpic
                        God Bless America

Comment

Intimidation and to strike fear into the enemy. Helps lower the morale of the enemy which can be useful especially when quelling rebellions.

Comment

Originally posted by tNsRAoL View Post
                            Intimidation and to strike fear into the enemy. Helps lower the morale of the enemy which can be useful especially when quelling rebellions.
                            For this him better was do nice unas mask .
                            Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
                            SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

Working...
                            X