Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asgard technology synthesize! Its Power!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ranlier View Post
    Here's the screw- you can reassemble molecules to make matter, but I don't imagine you can create atoms (such as gold, an element)
    According to modern knowledge, atoms consists of quarks, which are matter and, therefore, can be created using energy -> matter conversion.

Comment

This talk of creating ZPM's is something that has been mentioned in the past, leading to the the usual comments on how the laws of thermodynamics (specifically number 2) prohibit such an activity.

This generally follows through as one person mentioning that we should make a ZPM, followed by the comment that ZPM's harness quite enormous amounts of energy such that creating a fully charged ZPM is not a feasible option. This of course either in reference to, or by direct explanation of, the second law of thermodynamics.

As clarification at this point - the explanation being that it would require more energy to create the ZPM than it would produce, due to the limitations of entropy.

While by all means not all arguments are made in this fashion, a good number that I have seen here are. But there is an inherent flaw to this argument, and actually in this entire mode of thinking.

A "fully charged ZPM" is essentially one that can draw on the vacuum energy of an "unused" (as it were) artificial region of subspace time. As such, it is of no purpose to attempt to "recharge" a ZPM. Once the zero point energy is used up then it is in a sense time to move on.

But recharging a ZPM is clearly not the same situation as creating a new ZPM. This is demonstrated in that it does not require the energy of a ZPM to create a new ZPM. Otherwise it would be fairly pointless to create, and thus the creation of a ZPM must be performed in such a way that it will provide energy. This can be thought of in the same way that it does not take the power of a nuclear reactor to create a nuclear reactor used to harness the energy of uranium. Otherwise, it would be pointless to build a nuclear reactor.

In actual fact, the energy expenditure involved is in creating the means by which the energy will be "extracted" from the uranium. This is analogous to building the ZPM which will extract the energy from the subspace time. It is not the ZPM structure itself that contains the energy, but the energy is produced due to the ability of extraction from the subspace time it contains. Which again is the same way in which a nuclear reactor itself doesn't contain power, but generates it from the uranium contained within.

The power generated from the ZPM thus comes from extraction of zero point energy of the vacuum, just as the power in a nuclear reactor come from extraction of energy from uranium.

Thus, claims (again not made by all, but by some) that you can not generate a ZPM due to limitations imposed by the second law of thermodynamics are inaccurate. When claiming this roadblock to production of ZPM's, this must be in oversight of that fact that ZPM's were created and presumably through using less power than they produce. Though it would be correct to say that you cannot "recharge" a ZPM due to this effect, unless you can effectively replace the region of subspace time (though this is a different matter entirely).

To summarize, it does not take more energy than a ZPM contains, and thus does not violate the second law of thermodynamics, to generate a ZPM in the same way that a nuclear reactor is built in used. So too, ZPM's were able to be built and used. But the second law does not allow for the "recharging" of a ZPM without expending more energy (if "recharging" is even possible"). This is why a ZPM becomes essentially worthless when it reaches "maximum entropy".

While there are no great implications that come forth from this discussion, I hope this has somewhat clarified what has appeared to me to be a murky concept to some. I am not claiming that this explains or allows for proposed methods of production, but merely explaining a concept that has been incorrectly spoken of.

Comment

Here's the screw- you can reassemble molecules to make matter, but I don't imagine you can create atoms (such as gold, an element)
        But everything is made out of Atoms (apart from dark matter that is. which is made out of something we can't even record as it passes through atoms. Hence passing through are laboratory tools)

Anyways the way i see the machine working is that it creates the object from scratch. As there is no mention of having to put the base atom building blocks in so the machine can reasseble them into i.e. a sports car.
        Plus if the thing can make Air and water then i am sure it can create a single element i.e. a bar of gold.
        sigpic
        Banner Made By Me for Me
        The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

the thing that i don't understand is ... why does it have to be ZPMs didn't the asgard have some pretty powerful power generators. They could just make that... I'm sure that the power of a ZPM is that much off from a advance power generator from the asgard. Or else the asgard would have moved on to creating something like a ZPM. And I believe that they would at least be able to create the ZPM but not the power. The thing that I'm most excited about is the new ship that we are going to see in Season 4 of Atlantis..... in my opinion I think it will be a new class of human ships (human design), in which is will use mostly asgard tech. They will probably have the phase disruptor technology thingy (for the pegasus replicators), some of those beam weapons we saw in the ODYSSEY, a new asgard power core and a newer asgard intergalactic hyperspace engine which lets them reach Atlantis in a matter of hours or even minutes. And some other really cool stuff.... All using the synthesizer to well... synthesize parts and beam tech. to assemble.

Comment

its doubtful the replicators could replicate a zpm with their lego bricks but when they captured atlantis and killed all the atlanteans they could very well have mind probed them first to get the info from the atlanteans on how to create zpms, (we know they have zpms) so why not simply use the asgard super anti-replicator weapon (used by the asgard to rid othella of replicators) to destroy all the asuran replicators and collect all their zpms....then with the zpms build asgard motherships...enhance the ships with a zpm and wipeout the wraith
            Last edited by Nothingbetter2do; 19 April 2007, 06:06 AM.

Comment

I doubt the Asgard couldn't manipulate subatomic particles to form other materials.

Comment

With the matter converter you can create objects using the conponant molecules you find in area. You cannot, however, create new molecules unless that means joining two or three together.
                sigpic
                Spoiler:
                President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                Forum Charmer
                Forum Ambassador
                Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Yeah but the thing can make objects like guns, instruments, food, tools ect...
                  And objects are just elements stuck togther. E.G. lets say you wanted to make a steel bladed bagger with a pure gold handle. Easy you press the buttons and its made.

But that object is them made of two elements - steel and gold. You did not have to put them into the device for it to make them there4 it must be able to create atoms inorder to make the pure steel blade and pure gold handle.
                  So why can't it just make the gold element on its own? And if it can't just make a bagger with a pure gold handle them remove the blade and you have gold!

I hope that made sense
                  sigpic
                  Banner Made By Me for Me

Comment

yes you could probably peice a animal together, perhaps give it life momentarily but if you try to combine a horse with a lion, give it peacock feathers and pinchers like a lobster i doubt it would live a day.

power consumption is probably not worth mentioning with the asgard tech, but gargantuan if you tried to use it with earth's power grids.
                    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                      yes you could probably peice a animal together, perhaps give it life momentarily but if you try to combine a horse with a lion, give it peacock feathers and pinchers like a lobster i doubt it would live a day.

power consumption is probably not worth mentioning with the asgard tech, but gargantuan if you tried to use it with earth's power grids.
                      I would like to see that animal in an upcoming episode.

I am sure you could make it stay alive if you craete it as an unborn. Maybe in an Egg. As Landry must ahve gottern them Seeds from the device right? And where did the Christmas tree come from?
                      sigpic
                      Banner Made By Me for Me

Comment

Working...
                      X