Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ori ship power source (Possible spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J_B View Post
    Is that not an anomoly in their shields....Yes or No!

If 304's can detect it & thoyught they could bypass it, then the Asgard certainly would have a much better chance of creating something that could get around them!

It's not always power that's the route of a ship's problems.

In Atlantis, a single ZPM took the weapons fire from 10 Hives along with all the cruisers accompanying them.

Yet in 'The Return' we discovered that the Trea/Tria which had a ZPM installed was able to be damaged by Wraith cruisers.

Fact is if it were just about power, then why didn't the Asgard ship in 'Camelot' combined with the whole fleet of Ha'taks for backup, not even get a spark out of a single Ori ship.

Obviously this weapon is tailored to get around the Ori ships to allow it to penetrate the hull.
    It is only when the main weapon fires! Not when the ships is standing still or moving, the asgard weapons beat down the shields the Ori ships were not firing at the time so there was no flucuation. We don't know if the Ori shields took any damage the fact is those ships split their fire between 4 ships had it been only one ship it may have been beaten.

Obviously not seeing as i doubt the asgard could get around Ori shielding, the Ori designed the ships do you think it would have such an obvious weakness! The beams were simply a very powerful piece of wanktech, the flucuation you kept refering to only happens when the main weapon fires so stop refering to it as evidence to something the asgard could exploit it would only work if both ships fired at the same time
    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
      It is only when the main weapon fires! Not when the ships is standing still or moving, the asgard weapons beat down the shields the Ori ships were not firing at the time so there was no flucuation. We don't know if the Ori shields took any damage the fact is those ships split their fire between 4 ships had it been only one ship it may have been beaten.

Obviously not seeing as i doubt the asgard could get around Ori shielding, the Ori designed the ships do you think it would have such an obvious weakness! The beams were simply a very powerful piece of wanktech, the flucuation you kept refering to only happens when the main weapon fires so stop refering to it as evidence to something the asgard could exploit it would only work if both ships fired at the same time
      Firstly, where exactly did I say it was only when standing still or moving, I said an anomoly was detected in the Ori shields & Korolev was about to exploit it before it was destroyed.

This is a fact, not baseless speculation or whatever crap you want to attempt to tag on my post. The fact is they dicovered a fluctuation in the Ori shields that they were going to exploit! I simply said if Earth ships could pick up on it, then Asgards with all the battle data & scans, as well as a year to create something then there was a good chance that they could have come up with something to get around the Ori shields. Which was probably what they gave Odyssey.

You jump on my post for speculating, then you say this "the fact is those ships split their fire between 4 ships had it been only one ship it may have been beaten". Aren't you speculating now with the we don't know if they all took on the 1 ship it would have done this & done that!

The Ori designed the ships & do you think they would have such an obvious weakness, YES because they do, when they fire, they become vulnerable to counter-attack. So if the Ori were so careful & perfect, then why does it ewven have such a vulnerability. 303/304's have taken on Ha'taks before & never found such weakness, so why excuse the Ori. Not to mention it only has 1 front pointed weapon, therefore what happens if someone gets beside, behind or above it. It can't do **** all in the firing dept then! That's another major weakness, so just because Ori built it,

As to all this stop referring & balls about weaknesses. The simple fact is they did discover a weakness in the Ori shields. It exists whether you want to try & make excuses or not about main weapons having needed to fire. It doesn't exist with crappier Goa'uld ships & all the rest. It's still a weakness in the Ori shields.

For example with a little bit of speculation you get this: How do you know that the weakness still exists for whatever number of seconds after the main weapon has fired, while the weapon recharges. So in 'Unending' if the Ori ships hadn't fired, then the Asgard weapons wouldn't have been unable to harm the Ori shields because they wouldn't have been vulernable as the shield fluctuation wouldn't have occured in the first place. There are a number of reasons for it & even if that didn't turn out to be the case, the simple fact is this:

The fact is Ori ship shields have a major flaw: When it's primary weapon is fired it's shields produce an anomoly that leaves it vulnerable to enemy counter-attack. You can make any excuses or whatever you want about it but the fact is they have a weakness that can be exploited!

So rather than telling people to stop putting things in their posts, it'd be more appropriate for you to accept that Ori shields have a major weakness. It doesn't matter if they need to have fired first, last or at the same time. It still exists whether you like it or not!

It's not always about power why ships get damaged or destroyed!

Comment

Originally posted by J_B
        WEAPONS OFFICER
        Sir, sensors are indicating a slight energy fluctuation in their shields, coinciding with their own weapons fire!
        CHEKOV
        Beam a neutron bomb!
        Actually it was a nuke he was trying to beam aboard. We dont have neutron bombs.

Originally posted by J_B
        In Atlantis, a single ZPM took the weapons fire from 10 Hives along with all the cruisers accompanying them.
        The ZPM was on atlantis when that was happening. The Daedalus was not utilizing the ZPM during that battle otherwise it would have lasted a lot longer.

Originally posted by J_B
        Obviously this weapon is tailored to get around the Ori ships to allow it to penetrate the hull.
        If that was the case we would have breeched their shields on the first shot.

Best Stargate quote:
        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
        Green is your friend.

Comment

The Asgard weapons were able to exploit the same weakness as the Ori main weapon. It caused fluctuations in the shields, and they kept firing until eventually the shields were bypassed, and the ships were destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by J_B
            These hits take advantage of a flaw in the shields of the Ori ship, meaning it bypasses the immense power behind the shields.
            this is contradicted by the visuals in unending : the ori shield blocks the asgard beam therefore the asgard beam does not go through the shield, it depletes it first, only then can it hit the hull

Comment

the odyssey (as well as the ori ships) probably use a shield generator that acts as a "buffer" between the main power source and the shield - that's why even when the odyssey's shield is depleted, its ZPM is not (and the ZPM recharges the shield generator)

now the question is why didn't they bypass the shield generator & hook the ZPM directly to the shield emitter ? (the way it's done on Atlantis) that way it could take many more hits

Comment

Originally posted by J_B View Post
                Firstly, where exactly did I say it was only when standing still or moving, I said an anomoly was detected in the Ori shields & Korolev was about to exploit it before it was destroyed.
                i was simply enforcing the fact that the flucuation ONLY happens when the main weapons fires. The shields were impervious to 'beaming' before the flucuation and they had to wait to as the weapon fires to take advantage in otherwords it doesn't last long.

This is a fact, not baseless speculation or whatever crap you want to attempt to tag on my post. The fact is they dicovered a fluctuation in the Ori shields that they were going to exploit! I simply said if Earth ships could pick up on it, then Asgards with all the battle data & scans, as well as a year to create something then there was a good chance that they could have come up with something to get around the Ori shields. Which was probably what they gave Odyssey.
                A flucuation that ONLY occurs when the main weapon fires we have no evidence any such weakness exsists when the main weapon is not firing therefore until it fires there's nothing to take advantage of. There has never been any mention that the asgard were looking for a way to exploit Ori shields stopping passing it as fact and provide evidence.

You jump on my post for speculating, then you say this "the fact is those ships split their fire between 4 ships had it been only one ship it may have been beaten". Aren't you speculating now with the we don't know if they all took on the 1 ship it would have done this & done that!
                I wasn'y jumping on anything though what your saying is far more 'out there' than my 14 ha'tak an oneill and 2 deadalus class can possibly take on an Ori ship when we've seen that they can be beaten conventionally.

The Ori designed the ships & do you think they would have such an obvious weakness, YES because they do, when they fire, they become vulnerable to counter-attack. So if the Ori were so careful & perfect, then why does it ewven have such a vulnerability. 303/304's have taken on Ha'taks before & never found such weakness, so why excuse the Ori. Not to mention it only has 1 front pointed weapon, therefore what happens if someone gets beside, behind or above it. It can't do **** all in the firing dept then! That's another major weakness, so just because Ori built it,
                No when they fire the main weapon it's possible to ring in, weaponary has been shown to be unable to pass through thus far. It's possible that eliminating the flucuation is impossible! I never said they were perfect but i doubt they're shields are so vulnerable. They have smaller energy canons around the ship as seen in camelot.

As to all this stop referring & balls about weaknesses. The simple fact is they did discover a weakness in the Ori shields. It exists whether you want to try & make excuses or not about main weapons having needed to fire. It doesn't exist with crappier Goa'uld ships & all the rest. It's still a weakness in the Ori shields.

For example with a little bit of speculation you get this: How do you know that the weakness still exists for whatever number of seconds after the main weapon has fired, while the weapon recharges. So in 'Unending' if the Ori ships hadn't fired, then the Asgard weapons wouldn't have been unable to harm the Ori shields because they wouldn't have been vulernable as the shield fluctuation wouldn't have occured in the first place. There are a number of reasons for it & even if that didn't turn out to be the case, the simple fact is this:

The fact is Ori ship shields have a major flaw: When it's primary weapon is fired it's shields produce an anomoly that leaves it vulnerable to enemy counter-attack. You can make any excuses or whatever you want about it but the fact is they have a weakness that can be exploited!
                No it doesn't! You chat all the crap you want but it doesn't make it true. The only thing that is canon is that briefly when the weapon fires the shields have a flucuation that means it's possible to beam off the ship not let weapons through. The Key word is BRIEF it doesn't last long enough for weapons to take advantage your making things up to fit in with your own views. I am relying on canon which is why your arguement falls apart you have nothing to back it up with.

So rather than telling people to stop putting things in their posts, it'd be more appropriate for you to accept that Ori shields have a major weakness. It doesn't matter if they need to have fired first, last or at the same time. It still exists whether you like it or not!
                It only occurs briefly when they fire that is canon! FFS why can't you get that through your skull when the ship isn't firing there is no weakness.

Sorry for getting annoyed but your posts assume so much it's annoying stick to canon e.g. character dialogue when making claims as fact. Sorry if you found anything i said offensive but i had to get it off my chest.
                Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

The first thing that is stated when they begin firing those Asgard designed weapons is "the shields are fluctuating." Now I don't know about you, but that would suggest to me that the Asgard designed weapons had the same effect as the Ori beam weapon.

Comment

Or that they were weakening the shields?

Comment

Originally posted by JanusAncient View Post
                      The first thing that is stated when they begin firing those Asgard designed weapons is "the shields are fluctuating." Now I don't know about you, but that would suggest to me that the Asgard designed weapons had the same effect as the Ori beam weapon.
                      I have to agree, I've seen a clip of the Odyssey firing these weapons & they sort of remind me of the Ori beam weapon.
                      sigpic
                      "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
                      Signature made by RJB

Comment

Please, there was no way that a weapon on the Odyssey could drain the Ori shields unless the zpm was actually powering the weapons, and not only the shields.

Comment

Originally posted by JanusAncient View Post
                          Please, there was no way that a weapon on the Odyssey could drain the Ori shields unless the zpm was actually powering the weapons, and not only the shields.
                          It is a possiblity that the Z.P.M allowed the Weapons to fire at their full potential doing a hell of a lot more damage then they could tied into an asgard powersource

Comment

I think the asgard power source is more powerful. I dont know why I believe this, but it's just a hunch.

Best Stargate quote:
                            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                            Green is your friend.

Comment

A hunch based on what? If the Asgard had better power sources, then they would've donated one to Atlantis a long time ago, or Earth for that matter.

I still think a ZPM is more powerful than anything out there (so far).

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                                I think the asgard power source is more powerful. I dont know why I believe this, but it's just a hunch.
                                same order of magnitude perhaps but IMO certainly not better (or even equal)

PS.
                                Spoiler:
                                in camelot the asgard shield on the oneil glowed blue-grey. when the daedalus was powered by the zpm the (same) shield glowed brighter, almost white, like an ancient shield (cf. tao of rodney)

Comment

Working...
                                X