Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evolution of terran ships according to recent acts (Asgard related)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but the asgard are our buddies
    Originally posted by cowpants
    ...you did it. I can't believe you actually did it. I am quite frankly astounded that you did it.

Thanks to you, I now want several mods to start mating with each other. I wanting to see what Moderator procreation will have in store for us.

And I thought that no one could get me to want this.

Congrats Mapp, you are officially the single most disturbed individual on GW.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Rosilin for pres

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      Terran? This is Stargate not StarCraft!
      Terra is a more than valid name for Earth.
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Yet no one in the Stargate universe knows who the terrans are but everyone who got an operational Stargate in the Milky way knows who the Tau'ri are, so when refering to Earth humans in Stargate, Tau'ri is more correct.

In regards to the original post. I agree and it is one of the thing I dislike most about the new seasons, we have guys like Mitchell, Sheppard, Mckay, Wier and Landry who all think they are gods gift to man and they personally can't make mistakes and if they do it is clearly someone elses fault.
        In the old seasons the SGC personel knew that they could make mistakes and they made them and paid the price, they also knew that they didnt have any divine rights to shove their morals on others and they tried not to, there were races like the Tollan, Nox, Asgaard and Tok'ra to keep the SGC from forgetting this.
        Now the Tollan are MIA persumably dead, Asgaard have forgotten their ideals, the Nox are MIA and the Tok'ra are mostly dead and have otherwise mostly shut down the alliance, inside SGC we had Daniel and he is propaply the last one who still voice his opinions but he dosnt do it as often anymore either.

The result is an SGC and Atlantis expedition who nuke planets from orbit without any other cause then "they may attack us!", "they are building ships/weapons!" (100 points to anyone who can tell me who that sound like?), an SGC and Atlantis expedition who decide their cause is so morally right that they have the right to genetically engineer another race who dosnt agree with them and make them forget everything and hell even Moebius is a good example of why Earth shouldnt posses advanced tech like that, its perfectly fine to have principles and rules but then you have to stick to them, the basis for the timetraveling was flimsy at best and endangered so incredibly much that it was nothing short of a miracle that they managed to fix it in the end.

I really like Stargate still but I really think it has been corrupted by writers attempting to dumb it down in an attempt to speak to the lowest common denominator or atleast a much, much lower one. It is really sad, the first 5 seasons were very well thought out and had great moral points and writing, seasons 6 and 7 were great aswell but the postion on moral started to falter, season 8 and atlantis season 1 was good too for the most part but they were really starting to fall into the 'enemies need to be eradicated fully or you have lost' mentality, seasons 9-10 and atlantis seasons 2-4 are full of "we are superior and we have the right to dispose of anyone who stand in our way" storylines.

I feel that it is very sad that they series have declined so, it is still better then most other series out there but it is not by much anymore and Star Trek overtook it a few seasons ago, even though Stargate had been better in my opinion for a long time before that.

Comment

we are talking about the asgard;
          which called all the replicators to one planet, bobby trapped it and then when that failed turned the sun into a black hole as a 'more permentant solution'.

Every species has the right to use what ever tool it can to insure its own Survival.
          The moral high ground alright but I would rather keep breathing.

Fundementally, we can't force the asgard to do anything. If we tried they would either just ignore us, or 'talk down to us'.
          Hell in Red sky Jack 'insulted' the asgard high council and they are still are freinds.
          Last edited by Garth Claw; 08 March 2007, 03:04 AM.

Comment

We can't stick to how we were as the show has progressed so has the role of earth.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
              We can't stick to how we were as the show has progressed so has the role of earth.
              good point, yes it would have been nice for us to have built everything in the ships but as of yet its not possibile.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                I wasnt arguing against that, I was just saying that in the later seasons they have forgotten everything about the lessons from the old seasons which was in short "Your way is not the only way" as the Nox said it.

In regards to the Blackhole thing, there is a clear difference between defending yourself against an enemy like the replicaters, who were systematically wiping out the Asgaard and nuking the Asuran in a preemptive strike when those ships could have been built for alot of stuff which didnt involve attacking Earth or Atlantis.
                What the Asgaard did was in defence, what the Earth did was the equivalent of one country nuking another because it was building battleships because they may or may not be used against the first country.

Comment

Originally posted by NATIK View Post
                  Yet no one in the Stargate universe knows who the terrans are but everyone who got an operational Stargate in the Milky way knows who the Tau'ri are, so when refering to Earth humans in Stargate, Tau'ri is more correct.
                  It does not matter. Each civilisation will call themselves according to their own principles, way before they even learn that someone else, far away on another planet, has already given them a name.

Let's say you're an Americain. As far as I'm concerned, an American is "un Américain" where I live. So you shut up and you are "un Américain" now.
                  I'm sure you wouldn't like that.

In regards to the original post. I agree and it is one of the thing I dislike most about the new seasons, we have guys like Mitchell, Sheppard, Mckay, Wier and Landry who all think they are gods gift to man and they personally can't make mistakes and if they do it is clearly someone elses fault.
                  In the old seasons the SGC personel knew that they could make mistakes and they made them and paid the price, they also knew that they didnt have any divine rights to shove their morals on others and they tried not to, there were races like the Tollan, Nox, Asgaard and Tok'ra to keep the SGC from forgetting this.
                  Now the Tollan are MIA persumably dead, Asgaard have forgotten their ideals, the Nox are MIA and the Tok'ra are mostly dead and have otherwise mostly shut down the alliance, inside SGC we had Daniel and he is propaply the last one who still voice his opinions but he dosnt do it as often anymore either.

The result is an SGC and Atlantis expedition who nuke planets from orbit without any other cause then "they may attack us!", "they are building ships/weapons!" (100 points to anyone who can tell me who that sound like?), an SGC and Atlantis expedition who decide their cause is so morally right that they have the right to genetically engineer another race who dosnt agree with them and make them forget everything and hell even Moebius is a good example of why Earth shouldnt posses advanced tech like that, its perfectly fine to have principles and rules but then you have to stick to them, the basis for the timetraveling was flimsy at best and endangered so incredibly much that it was nothing short of a miracle that they managed to fix it in the end.

I really like Stargate still but I really think it has been corrupted by writers attempting to dumb it down in an attempt to speak to the lowest common denominator or atleast a much, much lower one. It is really sad, the first 5 seasons were very well thought out and had great moral points and writing, seasons 6 and 7 were great aswell but the postion on moral started to falter, season 8 and atlantis season 1 was good too for the most part but they were really starting to fall into the 'enemies need to be eradicated fully or you have lost' mentality, seasons 9-10 and atlantis seasons 2-4 are full of "we are superior and we have the right to dispose of anyone who stand in our way" storylines.

I feel that it is very sad that they series have declined so, it is still better then most other series out there but it is not by much anymore and Star Trek overtook it a few seasons ago, even though Stargate had been better in my opinion for a long time before that.
                  Agreed.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

One thing to remember is that Earth technology HAS progressed since Children of the Gods, but the writers are probably warned away from getting too "technical" on the show (for fear of becoming like the final season of ST Voyager....shudder). For that reason, we don't see McKay or Carter taking apart an Asguard transporter to understand it from the ground up or watching the engineers on a BC-304 running maintenance on the hyperdrive engines or the scientists at Area 51 building prototypes of human-built gravity drives ala death glider.....I could go on and on (and would have if my phone hadn't just rang).

I DO agree that dumping a truck-load of nukes on the Asurans was just sloppy. Let's do a few episodes next time where the team does some proper recon to verify that they're actually coming after us....then let's just detonate the tainted ZPM on their planet if they are.

I think that most of the arrogance on the show COULD be traced back to the IOA, and the reps of that organization have demonstrated that they have no respect or perception of the galaxy(ies) the way the SGC and the Atlantis expedition do.
                    "For truth hath better deeds than words to grace it..."

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                      Terra is a more than valid name for Earth.
                      Not on Stargate it isn't.

Comment

Jack called it that when he had the knowledge of the Ancients uploaded into his head when he looked at hologram of earth on the mission to recovering the ZPM from Proclarush Taonas on “Lost City”.

Granted it was spelled “Terre” when I watch it in closed captions, but it was still pronounced Terra in spoken dialogue.

So yeah I would say it was a valid name in the gateverse for earth since that’s what the Ancients called it.
                        Last edited by Argosy; 08 March 2007, 03:50 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Spoiler:
                        Me: “I just wanted to take the Staten Island Ferry…I wasn’t expecting the extraordinary rendition.”
                        *Three DHS guys dressed in black pop out of nowhere. *
                        DHS: “NOBODY EVER EXPECTS THE EXTRAORDINARY RENDITION!!!”
                        DHS: “Our chief weapons are shock-n-awe, enhanced interrogation techniques, and the suspension of habeas corpus.”

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Claw View Post
                          Every species has the right to use what ever tool it can to insure its own Survival.
                          The moral high ground alright but I would rather keep breathing.
                          Yes every species has the right to survive, but do we have the right to completly eradicate a race, when it maynot be needed to ensure our survival..

Originally posted by tendomentis View Post
                          I think that most of the arrogance on the show COULD be traced back to the IOA, and the reps of that organization have demonstrated that they have no respect or perception of the galaxy(ies) the way the SGC and the Atlantis expedition do.
                          I do agree that part of how we have done things, is due to the IOA.. Heck it was them that ordered the nuke strike on Asura..
                          Last edited by garhkal; 08 March 2007, 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Comment

Yes, it is. Sol is a scientific and valid name for our sun, Luna for the moon, and Terra for our planet.
                            If aliens decided that our world should be called the Tau'ri, then good for them. As far as I'm concerned, we are Terrans, and our ships are terran ships, just as much as we're the Tau'ri, which semantic use is quite murky.

Comment

terra is the origonal ancient name for earth, so techincally terra is the planets correct name

the asgard placed the replicators in the time daliation field untill such time as they could correct the programming error in thier code is how thor put it if i remember correctly

yes we are getting alittle too cocky, espiecally considering how many cock ups we've had latly, espeically on SGA they are forever making mistakes yet act like they never do..... and SG1 and the SGC dont pay the ori the respect they deserve, this is probably the most powerful enemy they ever faced using technology they are millenia from being able to understand yet alone recreate, i think the writers should have stopped at season 8 and had a good look at what they we're gona do with SGA

Comment

Working...
                              X