Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Addresses - Is there an exact order?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Addresses - Is there an exact order?

Ok, I was laying awake last night and was thinking about what else, Stargate. Well, I thought about it, and something occurred to me. The addresses for a gate are calculated by six points, and where all six intersect is the destination. All you have left is the point of origin. Well duh, nothing new, we know that right? Well, what I was thinking was, is there a specific order that the glyphs have to be entered to make a connection? Or, is it that as long as you have same exact glyphs you can connect to the desired planet? I know that the glyphs are sort of "paired". So, if you keep those pairs together, can you swap the address around and still end up at the same point? I've included a couple of pix to illustrate my point. The first is the known and original Earth Address, the second is an alternate version I am asking if it would work. Basically, instead of going 1-2-3-4-5-6-Point of Origin, I am thinking that this address should work too, 2-1-4-3-6-5-Point of Origin. Or did I miss something about what order the glyphs have to be in? What do you think?
    Attached Files
    Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
    Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

It would defenitely not work.

The gate symbols are coordinates. A simple example:

Somebody tells you to go straight forward five miles, take a left, and go ten miles. If you where to reverse it, and go straight forward ten miles, take a left, en then go 5 miles, you'd be in an entirely different place.

Now these are only 2 coordinates. If there are six, you'll probably not even end up close to the original adress.

Comment

YES it would work in a real life situation, if Stargate was real which it's unfortunately not, and unless the DHD stores Absolutely Every Single Valid Address, which we know it does not. HOWEVER! ON THE SHOW there IS an EXACT order. As proven in numerous episodes where they dial all 6-symbol permutations (6![Six Factorial to the Math-Dumb]) when they see the symbols on a dialed DHD but are unsure of order.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnage View Post
        It would defenitely not work.

The gate symbols are coordinates. A simple example:

Somebody tells you to go straight forward five miles, take a left, and go ten miles. If you where to reverse it, and go straight forward ten miles, take a left, en then go 5 miles, you'd be in an entirely different place.

Now these are only 2 coordinates. If there are six, you'll probably not even end up close to the original adress.
        Originally posted by unruhbrady View Post
        YES it would work in a real life situation, if Stargate was real which it's unfortunately not, and unless the DHD stores Absolutely Every Single Valid Address, which we know it does not. HOWEVER! ON THE SHOW there IS an EXACT order. As proven in numerous episodes where they dial all 6-symbol permutations (6![Six Factorial to the Math-Dumb]) when they see the symbols on a dialed DHD but are unsure of order.
        I disagree. The glyphs do not represent distance. It's not like glyph A means 5 miles and glyph B means 10 miles. If that were the case, you could find any location with only 3 symbols, if not less. So, yes they are coordinates, but no they do NOT say "go this far or that far". Coordinates don't say anything about where or what direction to go, they ONLY say "this spot". They are essentially a form of triangulation, but in 3d space with each glyph representing a reference point. It's like using New York and London as two reference points, when looking for a point somewhere in the ocean. And then using Quebec and Madrid Spain as two other reference points. Draw a line from NY to London, and then from Quebec to Madrid. Where the two lines cross is the location you are looking for. (This happens to be about 750 miles due east of Halifax Nova Scotia, approximately.) So using that example, would it matter if you said NY-London and then Quebec-Madrid, or London-NY and then Madrid-Quebec? You'd still end up at the same spot. The only difference would be if you mixed up and used NY-Madrid and London-Quebec, that just wouldn't work.

Now, when they have dials the 6 permutations it was because they didn't know the "pairing" of the symbols, it was just 6 symbols in a jumble. If I listed 4 latitudes and 4 longitudes you'd have to try all the combinations to find the right one that would have two lines that crossed. Unless you got lucky and got it before going through all the permutations.

Now, on the other hand, I have to pose this question. If the DHD doesn't store addresses, then why do the DHD's "update" eachother as seen in Season 7 episode 9, "Avenger 2.0". What would be that purpose? Right?

Comment

Dialing the stargate is like dialing a phone number.

If you want to call 487-0943 dialing 904-3478 wont connect you to 487-0943

The stargate dialing works the same way

If you could just use the symbols in any order, there would have to be different symbols for every address, other wise you would only have one address.

I could explain all this, but it is lacking in good spelling, layout, and enough tech specs.

Comment

I don’t see stargate addresses as like a phone number, phone numbers are just allocating a number in a list to a specific phone line, it has nothing to do with the location of the phone line. Stargate addresses uses the glyphs as coordinates to fine a single point in space plus the point of origin. But there are only 39 glyphs on the DHD which is nowhere near enough to cover the entire galaxy. So my guess is that glyphs can be entered in combination to indicate different coordinates .if that makes any sense?
            "Dying doesn't work in our favour!"

Comment

Theoretically it should work but for the sake of the story I dout it does.

It likely that sam has tried it at some stage.
              WereWraith06

<<<I have watched you play with those who would play GOD<<<

A Random but Cool Quote:
              Spoiler:
              If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
              - Bertrand Russell

Comment

i was just watching 'window of opportunity' again (it's just so funny ) and at about 20mins into it Carter gives a briefing about dialing out instead of letting the time-loop happen again... in the background there is a computer showing a dialing sequence and a galaxy, i thought of this thread and rewatched it a few times

it starts with a red-dot, being the first symbol, then the second symbol makes a 2d yellow square, the next few symbols make a yellow box and the sixth a red dot in the center, the point of origin we all know about and then it repeats

basically i'm thinking that the co-ordinates thing is a pretty solid idea and they possibly can't be used interchangebly or else the way the stargates use the symbols to get 3d co-ordinates wouldn't work

GMM

Gateworld RPG

One morning, a Wraith hatches a brilliant plan and takes over the O'Neill after consuming some lemon chicken. - The Stargate Plot Generator

Comment

Originally posted by Freekzilla View Post
                  Ok, I was laying awake last night and was thinking about what else, Stargate. Well, I thought about it, and something occurred to me. The addresses for a gate are calculated by six points, and where all six intersect is the destination. All you have left is the point of origin. Well duh, nothing new, we know that right? Well, what I was thinking was, is there a specific order that the glyphs have to be entered to make a connection? Or, is it that as long as you have same exact glyphs you can connect to the desired planet? I know that the glyphs are sort of "paired". So, if you keep those pairs together, can you swap the address around and still end up at the same point? I've included a couple of pix to illustrate my point. The first is the known and original Earth Address, the second is an alternate version I am asking if it would work. Basically, instead of going 1-2-3-4-5-6-Point of Origin, I am thinking that this address should work too, 2-1-4-3-6-5-Point of Origin. Or did I miss something about what order the glyphs have to be in? What do you think?
                  I don't understand why but there is a specific order.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
                    I don't understand why but there is a specific order.
                    Ah ha! So we don't know why it works the way it does, but that it just does. You guys do see my point though right? Logically, you can find any point in space no matter what order the glyphs come in as long as you keep the glyph pairing the same. BUT, the gate system must have a formula it uses, so the addresses can ONLY be entered in according to that formula. This must have been why Earth has had to go through so many glyph combinations to get a valid address to work with the gate network. What would be interesting to see is, could some other race, Asgard, Furlings, Ori, make a gate network on their own using a "more flexible" coordinate system. I guess, the gate network made by the Ancients just uses one system of doing things, and that is their "standard", kind of like how the metric system is the predominate system of measure, but not the only one in existance.

Comment

I think there would have to be some order. As we all know (I hope) each glyph represents a constellation, so I think the first glyph in the address would or might be the closest constellation to the point of origin. From there its how the Ancient work out the address.

Actually it just come to me, in episode Lost City we find out that six glyphs of an address make up the Ancients name for that planet (eg Praclarush Taonas) & that each glyph has a corresponding sound.

So the order of the glyphs that make up the address would have to correspond with the Ancient name of that planet.

I hope I explanding my theory clear enough. I'm better at verbally explaining things than writting or typing them out.
                      sigpic
                      "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
                      Signature made by RJB

Comment

As you see in the movie, the symbols on the stargate are star constellations.

Comment

Constellations are entirely dependant on your point of view. That would mean every planet with a gate would have different adresses for Earth. Or is there something I am missing?

Comment

Originally posted by dispader View Post
                            Constellations are entirely dependant on your point of view. That would mean every planet with a gate would have different adresses for Earth. Or is there something I am missing?
                            No, that's very true, and it's how it was done in the movie.

Both Earth and Abydos had two different sets of gate symbols, because each were based on the constellations above each planet. However, in order to make it more simple for TV, they used the Earth constellations as the symbols on each world, and generally turned the gate network into a telephone system, with each world having the same symbols which can be used from every world.

In the end, it stops the episode being about them trying to find the address home like the movie.

Why was even given a story explanation, as it's made even more clearer when we find out the Ancients considered Earth home, and even had their own language based on the stars, so it allowed them to speak world names allowed. Out of all the changes made for the show, each world using the same symbols was probably the best change, as it allowed them to focus on other things instead of gate addresses as i've previous said.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X