This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scaling Issues

Long ago in the great and loved Golden Age of Sg-1 seasons 5,6,7,8 my opinion, ships stayed about the same size as they had throughout the series. Why is it that in seasons 9 and 10 the ratio in size between Allied ships and the Ori ships are off. e.g. in the final battle of season 9 the Ha'taks look tiny, like a 50th the size of an Ori ship. We all know Hataks are pretty big ships and if so why do the combat fighters coming out of the Ori ship over Chulak look to be the size of Al'kesh when they are supposed to be no bigger than a deathglider.

Plus in season 3 finale Nemesis, at a Guess the Asgard mothership looked to be about 2k in length and I guess the O'Neill is the same size if not bigger. So again in season 9 the O'Neill class ship model appears in the battle but is shorter than the Odyssey, no way is that 2k+ in length.

Super Weapon Ship Anubis Flagship first appeared in season six finale
    Full Circle and it engaged a fleet of Ha'taks, in that battle those Hataks were about a 10th the size of Anubis Flagship.
    Yet in the Season 7 opener with Daniels return and Carters brilliant but whacky plan to destroy Anubis Superweapon, in their attack run Carter noted they were 400 km out and looking at it from their it was still phenomenal in size.
    The ship that held position over Kelowna could not have been the same ship they engaged in the first part because it was to big. Additionally in the Season 7 finale when Anubis fleet drops out of hyperspace the flagship their was the single largest ship to have ever appeared on Stargate possibly hundreds of times bigger than a Ha'tak.

If you doubt any of this thats your choice but watch it and try to prove me wrong.

first, you just contradicted yourself, you said ships stayed the same size throughout seasons 5, 6, 7 and 8 then said about Anubis' ship in season 7 constantly being out of whack, just pointing that out . Scaling issues really aren't stargates strong point, I remember one of TPTB said they don't keep a bible with all the facts about the series etc etc and so they constantly change things, very lazy on their part imo. Look at hives, officially quoted as 11km long, yet no way appear that big, the deadalus looks 1/11th as long as one yet that would make the deddy 1km long which it so obviously isn't. Ori ships look massive, much bigger than ha'taks and the next moment only a few times bigger. People will argue it's perspective because space isn't 2d yet imo it's just the cgi people suiting the size to their needs (making earth ships look bigger because we're number 1 sort of thing).

Comment

First of all, the burden of proof is on you. We do not have to proof anything, we are going with the accepted values for these figures(excluding Camelot, of course). So YOU need to prove to US why you are correct.
      www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Does it really matter?

Comment

I don't think scale is really the most important part of an effects shot when there isn't any ground to compare it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Randilyn View Post
            Does it really matter?
            what he said

Comment

Originally posted by bob_ffc View Post
              what he said
              I second that. It's a TV show, whatever looks good, works. That's all that matters.
              These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                First of all, the burden of proof is on you. We do not have to proof anything, we are going with the accepted values for these figures(excluding Camelot, of course). So YOU need to prove to US why you are correct.
                This I don't get why do I have to prove that I'm right when I gave you what you needed to confirm my observations, watch the episodes and see. If you don't watch your post is fairly pointless.

I also have no particular dislike or irritation to the shows ships shrinking and growing it just means that its confusing.

watch the episdodes and prove me wrong. 'watch before you post a negative'

Comment

Here is an explanation that I can think of, that the size of the ship represents how powerful that ship is. That is why the Ori ships are so big compared to Ha'Taks. Think about it like that, since we have seen the Asgaard ships and so many Ha'Taks have been blown up they aren't really the powerful ships they were at the beginning. Now with the Ori ships they are suppose to be really powerful, so they would dwarf all the other ships and make the seem weak. I think that is a decent philisophical BS reason.

: Green is Good.
                  sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cap116 View Post
                    Here is an explanation that I can think of, that the size of the ship represents how powerful that ship is. That is why the Ori ships are so big compared to Ha'Taks. Think about it like that, since we have seen the Asgaard ships and so many Ha'Taks have been blown up they aren't really the powerful ships they were at the beginning. Now with the Ori ships they are suppose to be really powerful, so they would dwarf all the other ships and make the seem weak. I think that is a decent philisophical BS reason.
                    nice idea but flawed, hives are bigger than Ori ships though we know Ori ships are a lot more powerful.

Comment

I know that its nice to find out the scale of the ships in all. But its a TV show, The only reason that the shots were messed up in 'Camelot' and other shows is the FX guys wanted it to be more spectacular. They weren't so worried about the scale of them because they wanted to make a great TV show.
                      sigpic
                      ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Working...
                      X