Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not use the Daedalus/Odyssey to explore other planets?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not use the Daedalus/Odyssey to explore other planets?

Inside our OWN solar system? We all know how badly NASA wants to get a man on Mars, well, the Daedalus or the Odyssey could accomplish that. Why not get a NASA team sign on to part of the SGC and then they could explore every planet in the solar system in detail? No more billions of dollars wasted on probes that get lost or anything.

AGT58

Originally posted by AGT58 View Post
    Inside our OWN solar system? We all know how badly NASA wants to get a man on Mars, well, the Daedalus or the Odyssey could accomplish that. Why not get a NASA team sign on to part of the SGC and then they could explore every planet in the solar system in detail? No more billions of dollars wasted on probes that get lost or anything.

AGT58
    I think they're a little busy at the moment, you know fighting wars and such.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

What about with the Prometheus then? Most of the time, it seemed to just sit in the hangar in Area 51.

AGT58

Comment

Seeing that they can use the ships for intergalactic travel & all that. I'm fairly sure that the SGC have done a lot of exploring throughout the galaxy, not only in the 303's/304's but also through the Stargate.

Mars is only to see about water, if alien life exists or ever existed on it etc. The SGC knows that alien life exists. So there is no need for them to do anything with nasa.

If the 304's were introduced, then that blows part of the SG program wide open.

Hence, they explore through the gate every week. So no need to use ships to go to Mars. It would be a waste of an ep, unless they write in a bunch of underground living martian trolls who attack the ship & eat the crew.

Comment

What about with the Prometheus then? Most of the time, it seemed to just sit in the hangar in Area 51.

AGT58
          Um the Prometheus
          spoiler for S9 Ethon
          Spoiler:
          blew up
          Last edited by supersoldier34; 19 December 2006, 09:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
          supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by supersoldier34 View Post
            Um the Prometheus
            spoiler for S9 Ethon
            Spoiler:
            blew up
            he was refering to before it blew up...why didn't it scout the solar system...

the question is how do you know it didn't? and even so whats the point our solar system is very interesting galaxy wise why bother send it somewhere no ones ever been...
            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Yes, I was referring to back when the Prometheus was still in service.

But why solve the mysteries of the universe before we solve the mysteries of our own little corner of it?

AGT58

Comment

Well I must admit while a ship is in orbit doing repairs they could beam a NASA team onto the moon or somthing. But they shouldnt go out of their way to explore empty planets when they have a planet to defend. Or try to defend.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

AGT58
                  Who cares about our solar system? It's the other parts of the galaxy, the inhabited ones, that are interesting. Our solar system's pretty much empty.
                  Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                  encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                  3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                  4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                  5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

thats becuse the planets in our solar system are all dead with no life. no point in studying them.

it would be quite intriging though if they did and found like ancient technology underground or something, like there some sort of theory that mars had life on it once
                    sigpic

Comment

For all we know there might be a planet on the opposite side of the sun that's just like Earth(We don't know because that's never been explored).
                      Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

How could there be another planet on the other side of the sun that we don't know about? It would have to have EXACTLY the same orbit as Earth for us to never detect it, and we have sent probes far out into the solar system that likely would have seen it, haven't we?
                        www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

What would be point of exploring our own solar system when we know there are tons of planets that can (and is) sustain life out there? A man on Mars? Wow! How great that is in comparison to travelling halfway across the galaxy.

And if they used a BC-304/DSC-30X to put someone on Mars, it'd either have to be a covert operation or it'd blow the Stargate program wide open.

Comment

You people are missing my point! I'm not saying they should devote an episode to this, I think they should AT LEAST have Carter saying "Well, General, we're done exploring our own solar system thanks to the Odyssey" or something like that, just have a character say it and that is it. I'm not asking them to devote episodes to it.

AGT58

Comment

But the question is... why?

There are so many more interesting planets out there. We can pretty much assume that any world that doesn't have a Stargate on it is, probably doesn't have anything interesting there.
                              These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Working...
                              X