This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Happens if

What Happens if you walk through an open Stargate when someone else has dialled in? For example, in Atlantis's "Home" (Season 1), when McKay takes part of Atlantis's DHD to put it into the one on the other planet, if he messes up, why can't he just wait until Atlantis dials in and then go back?

I am not sure what will happen, but according to Wormhole Physics in the show, an open wormhole can only transmit matter one way. They have never said mentioned what would happen if someone went through the event horizon of an incoming gate. I think they just tried to stop all questions by saying that travel is only one way.

: Green is Good.
    sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

You dematerialize and cease to exist/ I think you are problably stored in the stargates buffer adn when the worm hole closes you are erased from the buffer.
      Oh, believe me its not the first time we tried it
      I shot him...

in the leg...
      I'm invulnerable!
      Spoiler:
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten.
      http://www.aviationexplorer.com/airc...ft_carrier.jpgUSN

Comment

I think it would be solid to you, and any materialising matter would push you away.

The ancients built the stargates with safety in mind.
        Last edited by spook123; 08 November 2006, 07:06 PM.

Comment

In truth, it has never been explained in-depth.
          In the movie it was only referred to once when one of the guys asked
          Spoiler:
          "well, if we can't find a way to dial Earth, can't they just activate the Stargate on the other side?"
          and another guy says
          Spoiler:
          "If they do that, we're screwed"

You dematerialize and cease to exist/ I think you are problably stored in the stargates buffer adn when the worm hole closes you are erased from the buffer.
          No, when a new wormhole is formed, the buffer is cleared, not when the wormhole closes.
          Oh snap. You're reading a really old post.

Comment

and the buffer is also lost after 48 hours.

Comment

We've actually already seen what happens when something enters an incoming wormhole.

In SG1's third season they did the episode A Hundred Days. In this episode they sent a MALP through to a planet, but because the gate was on it's back, the malp arrived on the other side, feel back through and just ceased to exist.

However, even if you stored in the buffer, the moment someone dialed from offworld you'd be dead, after 48 hours you'd be dead (in theory anyway) and if you use 38 Minutes (SGA season 1) as an example, if the gate can't send you then it's just going to delete you if you were stored in the buffer.

As long as a person didn't completely cross the event horizon you'd be fine. So an arm or a leg is OK, your whole body would be a big no no.

sigpic

Comment

We've seen a MALP Probe move through an incoming wormhole and the MALP
                merely ceased to exist. I doubt it was stored in the buffer, most likely it was disintergrated by the event horizon.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

i never understood why the jaffa in PoV ran into the incoming gate at the end of the episode.
                  Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by spook123 View Post
                    and the buffer is also lost after 48 hours.

wowwwwww

I take it your trying to quote the episode "48 Hours". The ENTIRE POINT of that episode was that the Buffer IS NOT LOST. Thats WHY Carter is able to rescue Teal'c even though so much time has past.

Methinks you should watch episodes a little more closely
                    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                      i never understood why the jaffa in PoV ran into the incoming gate at the end of the episode.
                      I never understood that.
                      sigpic

Comment

When they(the Jaffa) were engineered. The Goa'uld sacrificed the Jaffas' abilitty to think in order to carry symbiotes. (tossed the brain outta the window). This is my theory.
                        Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

Working...
                        X