This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperspace effects

I was rewatching season one of SG-1 and was wondering if they ever explained how they fixed the sudden jolt that threw them back when the ships entered hyperspace. I've never seen anything to explain how they got past this.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Magnets, in their boots

Comment

Probably the same way that they explained, the cold and freezing effect after going through the gate in Season 1.

: Green is Good.
      sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ravroz View Post
        I was rewatching season one of SG-1 and was wondering if they ever explained how they fixed the sudden jolt that threw them back when the ships entered hyperspace. I've never seen anything to explain how they got past this.
        I think the fact that SG-1 were thrown back and not anyone else indicates that its something you can prevent if you`re ready for it.
        Everyone else on that ship was prepared for it to happen so they would`ve braced themselves, SG-1 didn`t have that knowledge.

Up until S9 they were still using the 'blur' when dropping out of hyperspace, i`m not sure if they used it in S10. They just generally tend to switch to a stock external shot these days, save a few $$$ on the fx budget.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
          I think the fact that SG-1 were thrown back and not anyone else indicates that its something you can prevent if you`re ready for it.
          Everyone else on that ship was prepared for it to happen so they would`ve braced themselves, SG-1 didn`t have that knowledge.

Up until S9 they were still using the 'blur' when dropping out of hyperspace, i`m not sure if they used it in S10. They just generally tend to switch to a stock external shot these days, save a few $$$ on the fx budget.
          Dropping out of Hyperspace is not always expected and they no longer get thrown back. See the season 6 episode memento for an example.

It's something the writers just chose to write out (like the 3 zat shots = disintegrate & and the freezing effect when stepping through the gate as cap116 pointed out earlier.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rodneys Gun Tutor View Post
            Dropping out of Hyperspace is not always expected and they no longer get thrown back. See the season 6 episode memento for an example.

It's something the writers just chose to write out (like the 3 zat shots = disintegrate & and the freezing effect when stepping through the gate as cap116 pointed out earlier.
            I agree that its the most likely reason. Watching Teal'c warn them and then see the team thrown across the room was funny in the very early years but would've been very annoying if it continued throughout the entire series... wouldn't really make much sense if it didn't happen to everyone and everything either. Imagining replicators being thrown across a room by the effect makes me laugh though.
            //

O'Neill: Phasers?
            Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

it was used in progency in Atlantis so im guessing its still used in both shows. Its probably not a problem anymore because of inertial dampeners.
              Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rodneys Gun Tutor View Post

You got me on that one, I`d forgot about that. I don`t think there really is a canon explanation. Best guess is that inertial dampeners were improved shortly after the end of season 1 so that the 'throw back' no longer occurred.

To be fair they did explain the solution to the freezing effect. It was explained in 'Solitudes' that they installed frequency dampers which reduce the vibration created by the gate. I believe they used this to account for the lack of freezing effect too.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                  You got me on that one, I`d forgot about that. I don`t think there really is a canon explanation. Best guess is that inertial dampeners were improved shortly after the end of season 1 so that the 'throw back' no longer occurred.

To be fair they did explain the solution to the freezing effect. It was explained in 'Solitudes' that they installed frequency dampers which reduce the vibration created by the gate. I believe they used this to account for the lack of freezing effect too.
                  That would make sense, I think the explanation, as brief as it was, for the freezing effect after going through the was because of the Earth computerized DHD and something was off about its connection to the gate. So maybe they tweaked the inertial dampeners on our ships, so the effects aren't that bad for the Daedalus and Odessey. But the effects are still around for the Goa'uld and Ancient ships.

Comment

But, we have seen them go into hyperspace on Go'auld vessels many times over the seasons. I guess they wrote it off because it was funny at first but started to get annoying after time.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

It is prolly one of those things that was interesting at first then got old doing it all the time.

Comment

Working...
                      X