Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Except that the control crystal on Prometheus was long and blue ("Prometheus").

Comment

Originally posted by Randilyn
      And look what happened the Prometheus in that ep! If only they had stuck to the original colour coding...

Archer: Lieutenant Mayweather tells me we'll be arriving at Kronos in about eighty hours. Any chance he'll be conscious by then?

Phlox: There's a chance he'll be conscious within the next ten minutes... just not a very good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Randilyn
        It might be that the Control Crystals for the DHDs are red, and all the control crystals for the ships are blue. The color of the crystal could determine the amount of information that the crystal can hold. Thus the red control crystals have the most since they store all the different gate addresses in a DHD.

: Green is Good.
        sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

If i mind right dont the DHD's have a whole rainbow of different coloured crystals under the main panel (i.e: each button had a different colour)....

Also the goa'uld also use clear crystals (similar to the ancient ones) in the episode where they get Thors mind from the crashed goa'uld mothership theres a bit where Jonas is altering the configuration of a rack of crystals, and they were the clear type.... I know that was on one of Anubis'es altered ones, but Jonas did mention that he had read over the specs for the goa'uld motherships a few times and at that point in time the SGC never knew much about the ancient modifications anubis made, so the clear crystals must be a standard part of goa'uld technology.

There probably is no colour = type of crystal, The TPTB probably stick whatever colours of crystal makes the tech look pretty and advanced !

As for how the crystals are made, in real life they are probably just plastic or coloured glass, in the show the goa'uld probably make them syntheticly in manufacturing plants !
          Last edited by thefunkyone; 06 October 2006, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Or perhaps they are organic in nature, or to be more precise, a live. I remember a VERY early SG1 episode where colonel o'neill was replaced by a sentient crystalline entity that were massacred by the Jaffa.

Perhaps the Goauld realised when they killed these entities that their form could be used to store and process data. After all isn't that was sentient beings do? And how good a processor is a living crystal that is based off of an intelligent living crystal.

Surely thats worth persuing assuming no sentient beings are hurt in the process.

-J

P.S.

Consider that Thors conciousness was running actively within Goauld data/process crystals means that these crystals in theory AT least could host their OWN conciousness. Perhaps the crystalline entities were by products of Ancient AI and crystal processor technology.

Comment

Do you think that the size of the crystal depends on amount of memory it has? Or that size and color mean absolutely nothing and they are just used to make things look pretty?

When it comes to the Large Red Control Crystal in the DHD, which I believe is blue in Atlantis, it is only that big because of the large red button on the DHD.

: Green is Good.
              sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jpf190279
                Or perhaps they are organic in nature, or to be more precise, a live. I remember a VERY early SG1 episode where colonel o'neill was replaced by a sentient crystalline entity that were massacred by the Jaffa.

Perhaps the Goauld realised when they killed these entities that their form could be used to store and process data. After all isn't that was sentient beings do? And how good a processor is a living crystal that is based off of an intelligent living crystal.

Surely thats worth persuing assuming no sentient beings are hurt in the process.
                That could be a really interesting plot development, that they find out that the crystals are capable of sentience...

Archer: Lieutenant Mayweather tells me we'll be arriving at Kronos in about eighty hours. Any chance he'll be conscious by then?

Phlox: There's a chance he'll be conscious within the next ten minutes... just not a very good one.

Comment

I was reading stuff on crystal based technology on the net and scientist say they need to make artificial crystal's because natural ones wont work

I just googled crystal based technology ages ago so yeah
                  War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Comment

Originally posted by Brigadier General Pants
                    That could be a really interesting plot development, that they find out that the crystals are capable of sentience...
                    We saw way back in S1 that they were, the crystels, or some kind of crystel life form exists which looked like a larger version of the ship ones, IMO they are grown but a living template, perhaps from those living ones were used as the template.
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                      We saw way back in S1 that they were, the crystels, or some kind of crystel life form exists which looked like a larger version of the ship ones, IMO they are grown but a living template, perhaps from those living ones were used as the template.
                      Yeah that's what I was getting at, the two types of crystals are somehow related - maybe the sentient crystals get knowledge of this crystal tech somehow, and view it like experimenting on/abusing their children?

Kind of wierd I know, but it could work.

Comment

Working...
                      X