Why is there no tanks in SG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buba uognarf
    the problem is even if we have tanks, without air support they'll be blown apart pretty easily by enemy fighter...
    and if thre is already significant resources devoted to air support on both sides, there is no longer a great need for ground support viehicles

Comment

I think that the whole SGC should be moved to a new location. Namely one where they make a larger gateroom and have space to place vehicles in them.

Make the gate closer the ground like the one in Atlantis. No need for ramps...

That way you can put HMMWVs and LAV25s or Strikers in the room and have them used by the SG teams.

All TPTB has to do is to use 2 or 3 HMMWVs for the SG team missions.
      http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
      http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

An APC would be my favorite choice. It's got enough room to be used as a personnel carrier (as intended) and as a medical unit. The turret could be taken down and replaced with a railgun (for that extra punch ) and the machine guns on it should be very effective against everything they might encounter.

Comment

a tank in the world of stargate would be alot better than the types of tank we would generally see, seeing they would be packed with alien tech and sheilded to hell

------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

just get a APC or Warthog type vehical with a magnetic accelerator cannon, a few tow missles ,and a nice small fusion reactor with a explosive yield of what 4 Tzar bombs, and one extremely strong energy shield

Comment

If I was going to scratch build something I'd just load it up with .30 cal machine guns and maybe a single .50.

Give it computer targeting assistance on all weapons with air and ground attack modes.

Dedicated anti-air weapons aren't necessary against the lame ass aircraft the badguys field and neither are heavy anti-tank weapons. A good computer that can lead a dart or deathglider properly with a .50cal is all that's needed and it doesn't take away space from anti infantry weaponry which is what will see the most use.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
                If I was going to scratch build something I'd just load it up with .30 cal machine guns and maybe a single .50.

Give it computer targeting assistance on all weapons with air and ground attack modes.

Dedicated anti-air weapons aren't necessary against the lame ass aircraft the badguys field and neither are heavy anti-tank weapons. A good computer that can lead a dart or deathglider properly with a .50cal is all that's needed and it doesn't take away space from anti infantry weaponry which is what will see the most use.
                I'd go with a Stinger SAM launcher for air defense. At least, if sending a unit of vehicles through a gate, include an Avenger in the bunch. It's missiles can intercept enemy aircraft a couple miles out (drop 'em before they're close enough to attack), and has a .50-cal for closer work.

a time to mourn

Comment

tanks are stoppable, as someone brought up zat fire travels through metal so your internal stuff is practically fried if you take multiple blasts. and im pretty sure if a death glider targeted a tank it would be screwed. if you add shielding to the tank it would be much larger, and the tank probably wont fit through the gate anyways.

The SGC isnt going on full on military occupation of civilian inhabited worlds. yes we have full blown battle scenes on the ground but we are rescuing our injured soldiers, or we are retreating back. it doesnt fit the SGC's way of doing things. i agree a small, fast and light vehical could be introduced and would be useful.

then there is the issue of things getting in the way for tanks, like cliffs, bodies of water (deep bodies of water), very steep hills. the solution would probably be antigravity, but if you do that its not a tank anymore and why not go the rest of the way and make it a gateship?

and we have seen armed military vehicals off world on sg1, in Forever in a Day we had that small malp thing with a gun on it, maybe 50 cal, and had an armor plating on the front of it but the driver did get shot off it.
                  Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran
                    tanks are stoppable, as someone brought up zat fire travels through metal so your internal stuff is practically fried if you take multiple blasts. and im pretty sure if a death glider targeted a tank it would be screwed. if you add shielding to the tank it would be much larger, and the tank probably wont fit through the gate anyways.

The SGC isnt going on full on military occupation of civilian inhabited worlds. yes we have full blown battle scenes on the ground but we are rescuing our injured soldiers, or we are retreating back. it doesnt fit the SGC's way of doing things. i agree a small, fast and light vehical could be introduced and would be useful.

then there is the issue of things getting in the way for tanks, like cliffs, bodies of water (deep bodies of water), very steep hills. the solution would probably be antigravity, but if you do that its not a tank anymore and why not go the rest of the way and make it a gateship?

and we have seen armed military vehicals off world on sg1, in Forever in a Day we had that small malp thing with a gun on it, maybe 50 cal, and had an armor plating on the front of it but the driver did get shot off it.
                    yes a zat blast traffels true metal but if you build the tank wright you effectifly get a cage of faraday that is grounded
                    so the internal stuff would be fine

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                      They aren't going to even be able to get close to the gate let alone go through it. The only way we're going to get anything that can support ground support to other worlds is by using the 304's.
                      If the actual vehicles can't fit through a gate, then create one that can.
                      Earth can do that with large ease.

Originally posted by Ludofjn
                      just get a APC or Warthog type vehical with a magnetic accelerator cannon, a few tow missles ,and a nice small fusion reactor with a explosive yield of what 4 Tzar bombs, and one extremely strong energy shield
                      Yep, a naqahdah portable generator is easy to carry and doesn't take much room. Pack this to shields and weapons and you have a hell of a ground vessel.

Originally posted by Ouroboros

I'm afraid this would not be enough to down an al'kesh (considering it required several missiles in Lost City to destroy them), and even less any goa'uld troop transport.

At least a good railgun could achieve that. But the point of a railgun is that the vehicle should be "fixed" before firing. A smaller caliber could be fired with more ease, but wouldn't be enough against half the ships SG troops are ought to face.

So it seems that a good dozen of TOW missiles and one anti infantry gun would be perfectly good, could be used while in movement, and leave enough room for other structures.

But seriously, bring us a damn shield! There's the room for a naqahdah generator, and a miniaturized shield tech DOES exist.
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
                        Tanks are slow and big almost stationary targets. When was the last time you were able to surprise attack anyone using tanks?
                        I wouldn't be so quick on the draw there FAII.....back in the '80s there was an exercise in Germany between a US army unit with M-1s and a Canadian unit using Leopard-1 tanks, which resulted in total defeat for the Canucks..the poor buggers nicknamed it the "Whispering Death" afterwards. This was because the M-1 is fast (>50mph when the engine governor is removed....from what I've heard, usually one of the first things a crew does in the field), has good acceleration and is so quiet thanks to its turbine engine, that it couldn't be heard at ranges beyond 200yards....this from a tank that using the latest guided munitions can also engage targets from >8km awayhttp://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ra..._Tank_999.html.

I would bet that it is only for budgetary reasons that neither show has made use of armored vehicles as of yet...it has got to be painfully expensive renting a tank for even a few hours of filming...and that's if there are even vehicles available to rent
                        Last edited by alaskannut; 30 September 2006, 02:39 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
                        "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ludofjn
                          Sounds fun!

Best Stargate quote:
                          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

Hey everyone - nice discussion.

When it comes to small tanks - how about this little fellow here:
                            I know it's not from US military but I believe S.G.C. is now mostly funded by all nations.

height: 1900mm
                            width: 1820mm
                            length: 3769mm (doesnt matter that much though)
                            It's highly manouvarable and quick in almost every terrain and can even be dropped from the sky (don't know the english word for this).
                            It can be equipped with stingers - so It's at least one option I'd say and should be considered for rescue missions and so on.
                            What do you say?
                            Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen...

...very often

Comment

Originally posted by Actionhank
                              It's highly manouvarable and quick in almost every terrain and can even be dropped from the sky (don't know the english word for this).
                              Paradropped?

Best Stargate quote:
                              Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                              Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                                Paradropped?
                                Yes, thank you.
                                Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen...

...very often

Comment

Working...
                                X