• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
    radio waves are exactly that: waves

light is both a wave AND a particle

Rubbish
    Radio is an electromagetic wave, just like light. So if light is both a wave and a particle, then so must radio...

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Originally posted by beale947 View Post
      Rubbish
      Radio is an electromagetic wave, just like light. So if light is both a wave and a particle, then so must radio...
      if you haven't taken physics yet, go take it

if you have, go take it

light is different from all other forms of energy and radiation
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

if you haven't taken physics yet, go take it

if you have, go take it

Um no it isn't. Explain to me why you think it is?

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Um no it isn't. Explain to me why you think it is?
          as per high school physics 1
          and later supported by high school physics 2
          and 3 terms of collegiate engineering-focused physics

all other forms of radiation are waves and have only the properties of waves and behave only as waves

light, however, behaves as both a particle AND a wave

google it, or take a physics class

Comment

pTell me how light is suffiencently different than the rest of the electromagnetic spectrum as to make it unique that it is the only one to have particles?
            Plus photon is a general term. You have gamma photons as well...

Comment

google it, or take a physics class
              Originally posted by Craig Charles
              "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

pTell me how light is suffiencently different than the rest of the electromagnetic spectrum as to make it unique that it is the only one to have particles?
                Plus photon is a general term. You have gamma photons as well...
                1. who mentioned photons?

2. in case i misstated earlier, i will correct myself here:
                light has properties of both waves and particles

3. again, take a physics class

or

go to http://www.google.com
                type "wave-particle duality" in the search bar
                and select a search result that is not wikipedia, as wikipedia is not an acceptable scholarly source for information

4. i have told you were to go to find the information you seek... if you want a house built, i'll give you the tools, i'm not going to sit here and build it for you, though, as you are more than capable of doing this on your own...

Comment

Okay Okay.

It is theoretical physics, the stuff about light behaving as particle and wave.

Most physics is theoretical Physics.

The following is hard for me to say...

IT'S NOT REAL.

Okay, they may not have thought through the fact that radia waves but not light can travel throught he gate. That's probably it. Just a mistake like the ledgendary "three shots disintergrate" (despite the fact it's even in continuum).

Still science nowadays supports light as both particle and wave, or solar sails, which, after the ONE? test experament have proven to work, would be useless. The particles contribute to what is known as 'Stellar Wind' it's basic physics goddamit.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tobin Dax;8582664]Just a mistake like the ledgendary "three shots disintergrate" (despite the fact it's even in continuum).QUOTE]

what's the "three shots disintegrate" thing, and what's in continuum?

Comment

If you mean light in a general way that refers to electromagnetic radiation, then you may have a point, but if you're saying that visible light is that much different than say, a radio wave, I'm pretty sure you're wrong. My guess though is that you're saying EM radiation is different from other forms of energy.
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

in "Within the Serpent's Grasp (Part 1)" teal'c demonstrates that the zat's are capable of stunning, then killing, then disintergrating.

Nobody liked this, so they never mentioned it again, until it was declared 'stupid' in the episode with wormhole extreme, as an in-joke.

And at the very beginning of continuum, you go through thr back of the stargate after the title screen, and see SG-9 coming home to be debriefed.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                          If you mean light in a general way that refers to electromagnetic radiation, then you may have a point, but if you're saying that visible light is that much different than say, a radio wave, I'm pretty sure you're wrong. My guess though is that you're saying EM radiation is different from other forms of energy.
                          when you can provide scholaly research to back up your claim, then you may come back and correct me... until then, i stand by the physics community that light behaves as both a particle and a wave

as for 3-shot disintegrate... i love the 2-shot kill idea... 3SD is actually a good idea from a strategic black-ops standpoint: no need to hide bodies if there aren't any

my only problem with it is sometimes you see someone get shot once... stand back up, and get shot again... and they're still alive

Comment

when you can provide scholaly research to back up your claim, then you may come back and correct me... until then, i stand by the physics community that light behaves as both a particle and a wave
                            You're absolutely right - light can be described as both a wave in the electromagnetic field, or as the quantum of the electromagnetic interaction, the photon, which is a particle.

The issue is that radio waves, gamma rays, microwaves, X-rays and light are all electromagnetic waves/photons, they just have different frequencies/photon energies.

The point being made was that it was weird that medium wavelength EM radiation like light doesn't pass through the stargate, yet low wavelength EM radiation like radio waves do.

Comment

Originally posted by aiusepsi View Post
                              You're absolutely right - light can be described as both a wave in the electromagnetic field, or as the quantum of the electromagnetic interaction, the photon, which is a particle.

The issue is that radio waves, gamma rays, microwaves, X-rays and light are all electromagnetic waves/photons, they just have different frequencies/photon energies.

The point being made was that it was weird that medium wavelength EM radiation like light doesn't pass through the stargate, yet low wavelength EM radiation like radio waves do.
                              if i remember my physics classes correctly... and i admit its been a while... light acts differently than ALL OTHER FORMS of radiation

2. whatever it is we're talking about now, lol, could most likely be an oversight by the writers, or simply not important enough to worry about

Comment

Working...
                              X