Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its a little ridiculous to think that we haven't reverse engineered a goa'uld energy weapon by now... we can figure out the ancient tech in Atlantis well enough to repair puddlejumpers and city systems, but we can make a Hatak energy cannon!

The writers are simply trying to give us a vulnerability, since Asgard shielded ships with powerful weapons flying around would be pwning Hataks left and right.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Shadow Quinn
      Easy, Goa'uld weapons knowledge isn't worth it when we can ask the asgard for help building our own energy weapons and reactor systems that way we can actually win the battles we're able to win.
      Well, we do have to remember that we're going to be fighting in ways the Asgard won't, such as providing fire support to ground troops and engaging enemy fighters and small craft. I think that we should keep and continue to improve our current weapons systems, but also get access to lower-rated Asgard energy weapons and power generators. Just one of those weapons, in combination with missiles and rail guns, would give our ships considerable flexibility and firepower.

Here's how this arrangement might work in one engagement:

Against a single capital ship, continuous fire from an improved 304's main Asgard gun can be used to drive the ship. At the same time, we launch several stealthy or cloaked missiles into that flight path, detonating the warheads when the enemy ship reaches the predetermined point. All the while our rail guns do moderate damage to the enemy ship and keep their sensors occupied, and AWAY from our missiles.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982
        Since when do railguns pass through shields, I have never seen that? Would've been one hell of an advantage during the Camelot battle.
        Oops, I meant Ha'tak shields, not shields in general. I get that from Off the Grid, it was not said for sure that the rail gun rounds were going right through the LA's Ha'tak shields, but it did look that way. Durring the battle scenes, you can clearly see the rail gun fire, but no shield impacts. And one of the Oddysey's officers did mention that they had done minor damage to the Ha'taks.

It isn't hard to believe, based on other episodes such as Upgrades, that a small enough round, moving at high speeds could slip through Gua'uld designed shields. Unfortunatelly, the smaller the round, the less damage it is going to do, even if it is unaffected by shields.

Comment

Originally posted by cooky
          Oops, I meant Ha'tak shields, not shields in general. I get that from Off the Grid, it was not said for sure that the rail gun rounds were going right through the LA's Ha'tak shields, but it did look that way. Durring the battle scenes, you can clearly see the rail gun fire, but no shield impacts. And one of the Oddysey's officers did mention that they had done minor damage to the Ha'taks.

It isn't hard to believe, based on other episodes such as Upgrades, that a small enough round, moving at high speeds could slip through Gua'uld designed shields. Unfortunatelly, the smaller the round, the less damage it is going to do, even if it is unaffected by shields.
          Not unless you enhance the rounds with naquada.

Comment

I would agree with the fact that every time we see the Daedalus in action, it get's its ass kicked. Except in the siege part 3, against the one hive ship.
            I know the Asguard don't like sharing offensive weaponry with anyone, but surely there must be some race that will help them build better ones.

Comment

It was the only ship to survive in the Camelot battle in good form, and with Netan's ship junk-afied at the same battle, I guess he assumed that the Oddy survived on strength, and not pure dumb luck.

Comment

the only thing powerful bout 304s are shields, hyperdrive and beaming tech. which are all asgard tech
                A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                  It was the only ship to survive in the Camelot battle in good form, and with Netan's ship junk-afied at the same battle, I guess he assumed that the Oddy survived on strength, and not pure dumb luck.
                  Ya i think you are right. Netan thinks our ship survived because it was powerful. he saw that our ships took multiple hits from the Ori main gun. also he has very little intel on the offensive power of our ships so he probably judged the 304 strength from that one encounter. he also saw how we took on Baal and took back the gates in Off the Grid. So if I was him I would be a bit worried about our ships too. ofcourse in reality he could probably destroy earth even with his small fleet of ships, but luckily he doesn't know that.

now about the fact that we have yet to obtain energy weapons...um ya there really is no logical explanation for this. if you put carter in a room and gave her whatever she needed, she could probably build a pretty descent energy weapon in like a month. i think the main reason we havent gotten weapons is to give a more dramatic feeling to the situation. if we had energy weapons on the Oddy it would quickly become much more powerful than Hataks. which i think the writers didnt want. they want earth to get beat up pretty badly. and then as we fight the ori they will start giving us more tech and by the end of the fight im pretty sure we will have the most advanced ships in the galaxy. i think they wanted to make the battle with the ori kind of like earth's initiation into a power in the galaxy. ofcourse now that the show is canceled this probably wont happen but i felt that thats the path the writers would have liked to take.

Comment

The lucian alliance couldn't destroy Earth for one simple reason: The Antartic Outpost. While many on here argue that a Wraith fleet or Ori fleet would own us even with the Outpost(which I heavily disagree with), there can be no doubt that against a fleet of Ha'taks they would have no chance. Just look at Lost City for proof of that.

As far as Netan thinking Oddysey is powerful... he's damn right!
                    Our ships has shields that are so far beyond Goa'uld shielding they probably wonder how the hell we did it, hyperdrives to put them to shame, and beaming technology that makes the rings obsolete. The only weakness we have is our weapon systems.

Everyone is saying "but daedalus and oddysey always seem to get owned in fights". Thats because we CONSTANTLY go up against bad odds and fight it out more than one at a time. We seem to have inherited the Asgard mentality of "take on 50 ships at once". The problem is we don't have the Asgard firepower to back it up. I don't think we've EVER seen Daedalus OR Oddysey truly go one on one with any other ship. The closest I can think of was Daedalus protecting the "friendly" hive about halfway through "Allies". And that only lasted a couple seconds before we left.

I think its safe to say that one Ha'tak wouldn't have a prayer of defeating the shields on Oddysey before it was ripped to shreds even by our weak weapons. Again, look at Lost City. Prometheus, which has weaker shields than the 304's by the looks of the storyline, takes about 10 minutes worth of getting totally pounded by Anubis's flagship and several Alkesh, Gliders, and everything else. And Anubis supposedly had "Ancient" knowledge with which to advance his ships. Against one regular old Ha'tak they couldn't really do a whole lot to us. Also, we CAN beam through regular Ha'tak shields, as proven by this last episode. So yea, I'd say Oddysey is still a pretty powerful ship, even if it doesn't have the best weapon systems available.
                    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Geez, you guys expect way too much from a civilization that hasn't even been spacefaring for 10 years yet in that universe. There would be something horribly wrong if the Tauri were running around dishing out ownage. Everyone else has been in the starship business for millenia, expecting the Tauri to top that overnight is bordering on the insane. The Daedalus SHOULD get its butt kicked every time it goes up against these enemy ships, its basically a rowboat with titanium armor and an outboard motor going up against a proper navy. Theres no way in hell it should be doing anything other than trying to stay the heck away from things.

Comment

Originally posted by Milleniumlance
                        "In the Company of Thieves" one Ketan's lieutenants praises the Daedalus class a very powerful ship...yet it seems to get its ass kicked in every encounter...
                        It is a very powerful ship. It just lacks a rather generic and yet efficient anti capship weapon. It has nukes, but they're rather slow.
                        This is why the 304 are good as carriers, and carry all they need to defend themselves and protect their fighters, but they're hardly the best ships when it comes to pure capital ship engagements, like frigates, real battlecruisers, gunboats, dreadnoughts, etc.

Check out a few threads here and there about new starship designs and else.
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

It's powerful compared to Ha'taks, which is what the Lucian's are familiar with, so what they'd be likely to compare it to. 304s only look sort of crap on the show because we're used to seeing them fighting Wraith hives or Ori ships, both of which are way more powerful than Ha'taks.

Against a Ha'tak I'd pick a 304 to win anyday.

Comment

The Daedalus would make an awesome hit and run vessel, as far as Pegasus goes. If the Wraith can't detect it, they can sneak right on up to some hive ship and fire off all it's nukes and destroy it before the Wraith realized what hit them
                            http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Tain
                              Geez, you guys expect way too much from a civilization that hasn't even been spacefaring for 10 years yet in that universe. There would be something horribly wrong if the Tauri were running around dishing out ownage. Everyone else has been in the starship business for millenia, expecting the Tauri to top that overnight is bordering on the insane. The Daedalus SHOULD get its butt kicked every time it goes up against these enemy ships, its basically a rowboat with titanium armor and an outboard motor going up against a proper navy. Theres no way in hell it should be doing anything other than trying to stay the heck away from things.
                              very true. we are still pretty young compared to the rest of the space faring races. we do have asgard tech easing the gap between us and the rest, but we still lack the infrastructure to build ships that other races that have been in space for hundreds of years have.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR
                                The lucian alliance couldn't destroy Earth for one simple reason: The Antartic Outpost. While many on here argue that a Wraith fleet or Ori fleet would own us even with the Outpost(which I heavily disagree with), there can be no doubt that against a fleet of Ha'taks they would have no chance. Just look at Lost City for proof of that.

As far as Netan thinking Oddysey is powerful... he's damn right!
                                Our ships has shields that are so far beyond Goa'uld shielding they probably wonder how the hell we did it, hyperdrives to put them to shame, and beaming technology that makes the rings obsolete. The only weakness we have is our weapon systems.

Everyone is saying "but daedalus and oddysey always seem to get owned in fights". Thats because we CONSTANTLY go up against bad odds and fight it out more than one at a time. We seem to have inherited the Asgard mentality of "take on 50 ships at once". The problem is we don't have the Asgard firepower to back it up. I don't think we've EVER seen Daedalus OR Oddysey truly go one on one with any other ship. The closest I can think of was Daedalus protecting the "friendly" hive about halfway through "Allies". And that only lasted a couple seconds before we left.

I think its safe to say that one Ha'tak wouldn't have a prayer of defeating the shields on Oddysey before it was ripped to shreds even by our weak weapons. Again, look at Lost City. Prometheus, which has weaker shields than the 304's by the looks of the storyline, takes about 10 minutes worth of getting totally pounded by Anubis's flagship and several Alkesh, Gliders, and everything else. And Anubis supposedly had "Ancient" knowledge with which to advance his ships. Against one regular old Ha'tak they couldn't really do a whole lot to us. Also, we CAN beam through regular Ha'tak shields, as proven by this last episode. So yea, I'd say Oddysey is still a pretty powerful ship, even if it doesn't have the best weapon systems available.
                                Amen to that. In truth, we probably just need to make our missiles faster (or maybe cloak them) and we'd be doing a whole lot better in combat against the Wraith at least. The Ori are more iffy, but if we can find Merlin's weapon and disable the Ori's power, then their ships are toast because the Priors activated them with their powers. And without the Prior's power, the ships just shut down, as seen in "Counterstrike".

Comment

Working...
                                X