Dialling Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if this topic is about why the offworld gates dont spin

it is because they dont wanna be moving a several ton prop around and several thousand dollars worth im sure, and if it brakes, well, that would just very much suck, you do hear the sound of the gate spinning off world though, just use your imagination that it is actually spinning=D

sig made courtesy of M2W

Comment

For a show that's getting enough money to go for 10 seasons, I think they could afford that kind of prop.
      - this'll teach you to take my job!

Comment

lol, no they cant

ive been watching a lot of the commentaries on the seaosn 7 episodes and i notice that a lot of times they mention that there wasnt enough funding to do it all

e.g in the lost city they wanted to show the nimitz battlegroup gets blown to peaces in a matter of minutes, he was explaining that it would loook very awseome if not, but they couldnt do it with the budget they had, even though they did have a boost in funding for that episode

also e.g they say that rick(RDA) liked playing with the holograms in episodes where he could just put his hand threw them and he was like "ok rick you can do it a few times, he does it $1000, does it again $2000, and again $3000, okay rick, we're canceled"

lol, im sure he was just joking but it gives you the idea that even putting in a hologram costs a lot, like in the whitehouse in lost city where anubis appears, they wanted to have like a huge hologram of anubis, but it would've cost to much so they had to put in the actual actor

then they said something like the scene with the drones was the most expensive scenes in all of stargate(you know where the drones come outta antarticta take out a few fighters and alkesh on their way up and then rip anubis' fleet to shreds)=D

sig made courtesy of M2W

Comment

Originally posted by mburrows
          if this topic is about why the offworld gates dont spin

it is because they dont wanna be moving a several ton prop around and several thousand dollars worth im sure, and if it brakes, well, that would just very much suck, you do hear the sound of the gate spinning off world though, just use your imagination that it is actually spinning=D
          The gates only spin when a dhd is not connected. The question is how do the spinning gates know which symbols to lock onto during an incoming wormhole.(non spining gates don't lock onto the symbols during an incoming, they just light up.)

Comment

Thank you! That's what we should be discussing.
            - this'll teach you to take my job!

Comment

But when someone is dialling in, the chevons light up. How does the gate know it's beening dialled before all the sybals are in?

Sorry about my spelling, I just started using Foxfire because IE is screwed up and I don't have my google spell check in foxfire yet.
              I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

Originally posted by SG-1ssm
                But when someone is dialling in, the chevrons light up. How does the gate know it's beeing dialled before all the symbals are in?

That is a VERY GOOD question!

when you start calling a friend on the phone, it doesn't start ringing until you entered all the digits! LOL
                So all their problems in various episodes about "we can't dial out because someone is dialing in" is a bit dumb. Maybe the DHD reads the mind...

unless.... the chevrons on both side don't light up at the same time. I mean, on Planet A you dial the 7 symbols, and only then it is transmitted and on planet B, the chevrons start to lock. But this theory is flawed because on planet A, just after pressing the 7th symbol, the wormwhole is immediately available, and on planet B, it takes a while to light up all the chevrons...

Or.. (that is silly, we've never seen proof of it) .. If we want to go to Planet B, when we press the first symbol on planet A, all the possible planets that match this first symbol start to get ready and engage their first chevron. (i know there are millions of them)... Then, when we press the second symbol, this naturally reduce the number of possible destination gates, so the ones that are out of the game just stop flashing, ("sorry wrong number"), and the rest continue, chevron 2 engaged... and so on, until the 7th symbol is pressed, and the winner is... Planet B!
                We've never seen a couple of chevron lit up and then stopping. but that could be just the cause of low probability. Anyway, it's the only logical explanation i can think of...

What do you think?

Comment

I think the easiest way to explain it is that they just show the gate dialling from the origin and then go back in time a little and show the destination gate activating. So they`re not activating simultaneously, it just seems like that because of the way they cut it.

I think thats probably the only way to explain it. I`m not sure there is a canon way to explain that one.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1
                    I think the easiest way to explain it is that they just show the gate dialling from the origin and then go back in time a little and show the destination gate activating. So they`re not activating simultaneously, it just seems like that because of the way they cut it.
                    Yes, it won't be the first time a movie shows non simultaneous events that could seem to happen at the same time.

I guess all happens between the pressing of the 7th symbol and the pressing of the big red button. But that takes 1 second, whereas on the other side, the whole process takes at least 20 seconds. Just to drive us crazy...

Comment

Sorry to bump a really old topic, but I always considered the lighting up of the chevrons as a warning. Like the chevrons only light up to say someone is incoming. That way you know how long you have to get away from the gate before it activates.
                      I do wish we'd see it explained how as each symbol is locked in all matching planets with those symbols activated, but perhaps it will be some day.

What I don't get is how the Atlantis stargate lights up. As soon as they start dialing, a light goes round all the symbols then bam, its activated. I barely see the symbols shown, and even then once its active they all appear to light up.

Comment

I think the Atlantis gates are more advanced or atleast newer then the MW gates so that may be a small part of the reason
                        Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi View Post
                          No.

They are supposed to be different for each Stargate. However, that would mean building replacement inner rings for close-up shots of off-world Gates and replacement DHD keys. That's just not something that's cost-efficient.

Nowadays though, it would seem like the point of origin symbol (along with the how the Gate addresses work in general) has been retconned. That is, the Earth symbol seems to be the standard symbol for point of origin. In particular:

Spoiler:
                          In "Arthur's Mantle" a Gate address can be seen in Merlin's research computer. The symbol used for point of origin is that found on the Giza Gate. This would appear to be anti-canonical, as Merlin would have known the Earth POO symbol to be that of the Antarctica Gate. This is because, at the time he had descended, the Giza Gate was already buried, and one must assume that he would have been familiar with Earth's original Gate.

Furthermore, on more than one occassion (Memento, for example) a normal Gate symbol has been used for the point of origin of an off-world Gate. Now, this is probably due to the fact that Amanda merely pressed seven random keys on the DHD when shooting.
                          Mate go and rewatch the Movie, and Sg1 seasons one through ten, I'm pretty sure that somewhere in there it is said that the Stargate POO symbols are unique not to each individual Stargate, but unique to POINTS IN SPACE, thankyou for stating your nonsense opinion as fact.
                          Meh.

Comment

My take on it was always that the receiving gate started lighting up on connection, as in when the 7th chevron opened on the outbound gate, the first chevron engaged on the inbound then the 7th chevron locked. Could be the Gate powering up to form the artificial event horizon used to reintegrate matter from the wormhole. As far as it becoming available immediately after, we do typically see a few seconds lag before MALP telemetry comes online usually.Also, we know the gate has buffers, so it's entirely logical to me that anyone who enters the gate "early" would simply be buffered and then rematerialized once the event horizon has stabilized.

Comment

our gate spins cause we use advanced manual dialling. and for visual effects.

other gates have the lighting up to indicate incoming wormhole. they CAN dial out, but because the incoming dial started first, it is completed earlier, so the outgoing dialler is put on hold, and the first dialler is taken first. its like calling someone. if B calls A, and A calls C, and B starts first, then B calls A, and A cant call C.
                              gates communicate via a mini wormhole sustained for microseconds. it doesnt require the dialling process as it sends it to every gate, creating a supershort connection and a databurst.
                              also the dialled gate most likely only lights up when the dialling gate has a connection: the dialled gate has the lighting up alot faster than the dialling gate. its with less than a second inbetween. so by the time that the kawoosh has dissapeared and somebody walks to it, the dialled gate has had the kawoosh. unless you run at the gate with such speed that you enter the moment the kawoosh is over, this never leads to problems. you enter the gate, the dialled gate has just had the kawoosh

Comment

Working...
                              X