This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why arent there snipers on sg teams?

Well thats the way it appears. Looking at all the fight scenes on both sg-1 and sg-atlantis the enemy always are just walking out in the open or semi shielded by boulders or something. My thinking is if you have like 5 snipers strategically positioned you could eliminate alot of the enemy with relative ease.

Because that show has a lot of unrealistic gun battles that eliminate the need for snipers. If Oneill can pick a fly off a Jaffa's ass from 400 yards with an MP5 then who needs snipers?!
    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

O'neill used a sniper rifle when freeing Rya'c and Bra'ta.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR
        Because that show has a lot of unrealistic gun battles that eliminate the need for snipers. If Oneill can pick a fly off a Jaffa's ass from 400 yards with an MP5 then who needs snipers?!
        Very True

Comment

we've used snipers when needed. and the p90 i think comes with a redot mini scope
          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Red dots have no magnifaction they are only really usefull for CQC scenarios. Yeah Stargate give SMGs way to much acuracy. But one reason they rarely use snipers is because the majority of stargate battles are either in a building or in a ship or the fight before they get to a building etc. I believe I remember seeing one of the russian SG teams have a SVD but he never shot it.

Comment

There's not enough ground battles and in those ground battles, most are often close-quarter. But, yeah, O'Niell did use a sniper rifle before.

Maybe they can use sniper rifles against the upcoming ground battles with the Ori Crusaders.

Not to mention that perhaps TPTB could play some Joint Operations or Battle Field 2, and see the value of the sniper.
              http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
              http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR
                Not to mention the whole idea that the world's best engineer of our planet and the world's best linguist of our planet, as well as the world's best engineer/linguist of another planet, are all excellent soldiers with perfect aim and battle savvy.

I mean, I have a hard enough time that SGA would bother sending McKay off world on brand new missions at all, given the fact that he should be far to valuable to risk time and time again. But at least they don't put him on the front lines, like they would if he were an SG-1 character.

Another good example is look at "Avenger 2.0."

The entire Stargate network has been shut down, and SGC now has to go to mount doom in order to restart it. Felger, with no field experience, is supposed to repair the Stargate completely on his lonesome, and who do they give them for backup? Do they send a whole platoon of highly skilled soldiers, ready to shoot anyone who gets to close? Nope. They send Sam Carter. What a bang up idea.

Comment

It's also sort of up to us.

I mean, in the Stargate world, we only see what's shown on the screen. We have imaginations, and there's nothing stopping us from using them.

I would assume that there is probably at least one SG-Team equipped/trained for long-duration recon, which would include a sniper.

Comment

The other SG teams use standard us army weapons m16s, m9s, LAW or whatever light MG and maybe some kind of wire guided AT weapon. The only reason SG1 one use SMGs is because their usually doing covert Special Forces type close combat missions where SMGs are useful.

Btw anyone know what sidearm Sheppard carries? Looks like a 1911.

Comment

Btw, I think everyone here understands the sniper a bit wrong.

Snipers don't work in teams , they work in pairs, they do *one shot one kill, in and out* stuff, not the frontline and urban assaults stuff SG1 is mostly in.

I mean, SG1 is usually not meant to be a fight unit, they got units like SG3 for that. Of course there are situations where it might come in handy, but they couldn't have know that in advance usually right?

(I watched Discovery Channel's sniper school )

Btw the soldier O'neill borrowed the sniper rifle from didn't seem very familiar, maybe he's SGC's sniper?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux.
                        Btw anyone know what sidearm Sheppard carries? Looks like a 1911.
                        It's probably just an M9.

Best Stargate quote:
                        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                        Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger82
                          The entire Stargate network has been shut down, and SGC now has to go to mount doom in order to restart it. Felger, with no field experience, is supposed to repair the Stargate completely on his lonesome, and who do they give them for backup? Do they send a whole platoon of highly skilled soldiers, ready to shoot anyone who gets to close? Nope. They send Sam Carter. What a bang up idea.
                          I believe the reason for that was just incase they failed. They were on one of Ba`al`s planets and if they failed they would most likely be captured or killed. At best they would be cut off from Earth and trapped on a hostile planet.
                          So their logic in sending only Felger and Carter was a way of making sure they didn`t lose too many people if they couldn`t fix the gate network.
                          Prometheus = X-303/BC-303
                          Daedalus, Odyssey, Korolev = BC-304/DSC-304

END OF ARGUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

How about instead of having one SG team on gate duty, they have sniper setups surrounding the gate area. They could have very heavy camoflauge. They could be British snipers. They're the best in the world.

Best Stargate quote:
                            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                            Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                              How about instead of having one SG team on gate duty, they have sniper setups surrounding the gate area. They could have very heavy camoflauge. They could be British snipers. They're the best in the world.
                              Or they could send them through the gates wearing sodan cloaking devices. I mean if the Sodan could make them by deciphering the text on the stones there then im fairly certain the SGC could do it. Plus they could just take theres since they arent going to be needing them anymore... It would give the SGC a greater advantage and the snipers would never be found by the enemy.

Comment

Working...
                              X