Ship Scaling Sprites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoples_General
    I wish the StarGate VFX guys paid attention to ship sizes the way that Star Wars and Star Trek guys do.
    I don't know about Trek, but they did screw up several times in Star Wars. Millenium Falcon, even the mighty ISDs don't seem to always be 1.6 km in lenght, and the corellian blockade runner Tantive IV, at the end of Ep III, supposedly the same model as the one in Ep IV, isn't really accurate in terms of size, or if it is, it poses problem when compared to the size of an ISD in Ep IV.

I made calculations for the asgard Biliskiner class, for example, and the ship was like +3 kilometers long. I can't remember properly, I don't have the calcs and pics I used at hand, but it was largely bigger than anything found thus far. All that only using sources which can objectively be considered correct.
    But in the end, it doesn't fit with other observations.
    That's why ship measurements in Stargate became almost pointless besides vague estimations.

Therefore, you need the official sizes, and consider any other variant as either that, an in universe variant if it does fit with canon, or just has to be dismissed since it has been scaled up or down for the purpose of the episode.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

in season 2 "Allies" they do a overlay of an outline of the Daedalus and a hive ship that could well be used for scaleing to get the general dimensions of the hive with any "known" dimensions of the Daedalus. All dimensions of the hive ship would be general though because the Wraith ships use organic technology which could "grow" to their needs rather than specs. Likely no two hive ships are more than generally the same. (like people come in differnt sizes and shapes, but are all the same form.)

Comment

Originally posted by carcatcher
        in season 2 "Allies" they do a overlay of an outline of the Daedalus and a hive ship that could well be used for scaleing to get the general dimensions of the hive with any "known" dimensions of the Daedalus. All dimensions of the hive ship would be general though because the Wraith ships use organic technology which could "grow" to their needs rather than specs. Likely no two hive ships are more than generally the same. (like people come in differnt sizes and shapes, but are all the same form.)
        I have a screen cap of that, and I'd post it if I could find it, but I wrote down the dimensions.
        The hive ship is 3230 pixels long, and 2300 pixels wide. Daedalus is 260 pixels long, and 115 pixels wide. Hope that's helpful.
        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I`ve attached the screen cap you were mentioning to this post, just incase anyone wishes to clarify the scales.
          Attached Files
          Prometheus = X-303/BC-303
          Daedalus, Odyssey, Korolev = BC-304/DSC-304

END OF ARGUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

On a slight bonus, it looks to me like the Wraith Scout Ship in Allies looks to be around 1/2 of the size of the Daedalus. In that case, the city of Atlantis would be much larger than the paltry 1.5-3km that's been touted around.
            sigpic
            http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Are you sure about that? Because according to these caps (or you can rewatch the sequence), the shuttle doesn't look that much bigger than a 302. I say about 5 to 6 times as long (taking into account the perspective).

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s2/2...allies170.html

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s2/2...allies171.html

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s2/2...allies172.html

Comment

i made a slight modificaation to your scale from the other thread you had the Hatak far to big and the Ori Toilet to small...

Comment

i should think thats a bit more like it ^^^ but we still cant get a certain size 4 the ori ship.

Comment

Originally posted by JRPR
                    i should think thats a bit more like it ^^^ but we still cant get a certain size 4 the ori ship.
                    Of couse we cant. We've only seen them in 2 episodes, with an overall time of about 5-10 minutes! we cant accuratley scale it without more pictures!
                    O'Neil: Sorry, i was just finishing up on a lovely brunch!
                    Baal: Impudence
                    O'Neil:No, Tuna!

Comment

Originally posted by Milleniumlance
                      i made a slight modificaation to your scale from the other thread you had the Hatak far to big and the Ori Toilet to small...
                      The Ori toilet ship cannot be greater than 400 meters in width.

The episode Camelot really screwed a lot of scaling efforts up. In the episode Beachhead the segments of the supergate had to fit through a normal stargate, which we know is <5 meters in diameter on the inside, and Carter said that the "objects" were about 10 meters in length. Carter estimated that the supergate was 300-400 meters in diameter, which means anything that comes through it has have a width less than that figure.

In other words, there's no way the Ori toilet ships are bigger than the gate they came through. It's a serious effects screwup that they're bigger than Ha'taks and O'Neill class ships in Camelot.

The Ori ships are closer to 300 meters in width, 600 meters in length and about 150 meters in height. That makes their ships tiny compared to the Ha'tak and O'Neill class ships, but bigger than the Daedalus class.

Hopefully the producers will correct this crap in season 10.

Originally posted by Da Vikster the Ori
                      Of couse we cant. We've only seen them in 2 episodes, with an overall time of about 5-10 minutes! we cant accuratley scale it without more pictures!
                      All you need are the pictures from Crusade to get the Ori toilet ship length. If you scale them with the crowds of people standing near them, they end up being about the dimensions I mentioned above.
                      With the length, you can use the shots from Camelot to figure out the height, and with the supergate dimensions in Beachhead you can figure out the width.
                      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Im not buying the whole 400m SuperGate with for Camelot. First of all, they completely changed its scale just to make it more menacing. IMO, I'd rather go for a big and menacing Ori ship than some Prometheus sized ship.
                        http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                        http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Someone Posted Before That Maybe The Smaller Supergate Is Constructed To Send Through The Alkesh Size Sections..And that those sections created the S U P E R gate in Camelot...

Comment

i reacon the peices expand. Meaning bigger ships can fit through. like the toilet seats.
                            OR/AND its a different kind of super-gate, with more pieces.
                            Hola

Hello

Comment

Plus, if you look at Carter when the Supergate is opening, you get some sense of scale of the thing as the camera is looking over her shoulder. Based on the size of the block that she's beside, that monster is a LOT bigger than 400m.
                              sigpic
                              http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Yeah, the Ori ships make the O'neill look like a frigate/destroyer compared to them...those things have to be quite massive, especially taking into account the size of the individual Supergate peices and the number of them.
                                "Those who listen the most experience the least."

Comment

Working...
                                X