No announcement yet.

Ship Scaling Sprites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gosh, I really wish we could just come to a point where we agree with a size for every ship. Will everyone please remember that the ships in the show are never scaled correctly.

TPTB changed the size of the ships all the time to enfore the feeling of power, ie the asgard ship was scaled right back to make the Ori vessels look even more powerful. The 304 was scaled back to look very small against the LA ha'tak...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
      gosh, I really wish we could just come to a point where we agree with a size for every ship. Will everyone please remember that the ships in the show are never scaled correctly.

TPTB changed the size of the ships all the time to enfore the feeling of power, ie the asgard ship was scaled right back to make the Ori vessels look even more powerful. The 304 was scaled back to look very small against the LA ha'tak...
      This one was painfully obvious.
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Shadow Quinn View Post
        From SB.com

Decided to add this to the thread.
        An Ancient (ex An Anicient)'s sizes are all screwed up. They are not reliable in the slightest.
        The scales of things in "Thor's Chariot" aren't that great. His identification of the landing pads as ships is erroneous and led to many other problems, and he refused to acknowledge the fact that Ra's ship landed only on a portion of the stone pyramid.

Asgard ships sizes vary greatly, but they were fairly consistent from "Small Victories" to "Nemesis", "Prometheus" and "Unnatural Selection". In "Small Victories", an O'neill didn't actually look particularly longer than a Biliskner. I'd really like to see the evidence that warrants such a longer sprite for the O'neill, please.

I did a very detailed scaling of a Biliskner in "Enemies", and it ended with the vertical fins being absurdly tall, like over one kilometer. All that because Teal'c was really a spec against the ship's NIGs.

As for larger Goa'uld motherships, try this instead:

They're rough but give a much better idea of scales, and Ha'taks are generally best appreciated at around 650~700 meters long (it actually depends if your measure the distance between the most distant points from a top down view, or measure the "aft" to "bow" distance).

Another thing here. The Al'kesh sprite is way too big on the chart. It needs to be scaled down.

My I also ask where we could get each top view of those ships' sprites at a high def quality separately?
        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

What is really needed is a massive project to scale every scene or image of every ship to find the most common scaling in stargate and the most logical scaling of each ...and every...ship...in the series.

Comment

Tell me about it. But who's gonna do it? What with the mess the scales are in all over the franchise. It's impossible to find a common scaling, you can only find the one that conflicts the least.

Comment

Exactly....
              But people are a little consumed with proving their perspective....the war goes on.

Comment

ha what game are ye talking about im new to this

Comment

One reason I really have mixed feelings about wikias is that an error can quickly spread, as some people would be tempted to use what's said on such websites after taking it as gospel, or close.

Recently, I found the article about the Death Glider.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Glider

It claims:

Length : 27.99 meters
                  Width : 45.9 meters
                  Height/depth : 14.76 meters

The source? Something that's listed, but not even visible.
                  "Stargate SG-1: Goa'uld Death Glider Collector Scale Replica"

And looking at the number of footnotes, it seems that a lot of the figures come from this toy's package or so.

If it's not obvious that the sizes are ridiculously wrong for starters...
                  I wouldn't be surprised if the idiot mistook centimeters for meters.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                    One reason I really have mixed feelings about wikias is that an error can quickly spread, as some people would be tempted to use what's said on such websites after taking it as gospel, or close.

It claims:

And looking at the number of footnotes, it seems that a lot of the figures come from this toy's package or so.

That could be right...

...if Jack O'Neill was 15 metres tall.
                    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post

It claims:

Actually that could potentially refer to the death glider seen in children of the gods. The one which had a ring transporter onboard then convertend to a death glider mode.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

That DG (retconned in the new edition of CotG) wasn't even that big. Not to say that the values are given to the random DG on the wikia page.

Comment

I wish we'd of gotten a destiny sprite here.

Comment

I wish Battara would dramatically clean up the original post because it's full of errors and evidence that is not acceptable (seriously, has anyone heard of the word "perspective" by chance?), and the chart has serious problems regarding the Al'kesh.
                            As for the Ori crusader, where is that size gotten from? When did we "decide" that the scales were good enough/not screwed too much? "Ark of Truth" perhaps?
                            304: 450 m.
                            Sorry for insisting, but it's confirmed several times and even scaled properly against a 11 km long hiveship.
                            And please, people, the DVDs are often full of BS, it's a fortune when the info is in phase with the show.

Comment

How big then was Ra's ship in the movie?

Oh and did the bottom open up to sit on the pyramid?
                              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                                How big then was Ra's ship in the movie?

Oh and did the bottom open up to sit on the pyramid?
                                This should help you get perspective...
                                http://www.expono.com/go/photo/585432_l.jpg

Yes, it did...
                                www.stitchsloft.com
                                For your out of this world prop and costume needs

sigpic
                                "THAT'S... Lt. Col, Errand Boy to you..." Lt. Col John Sheppard
                                www.scifihero.net

Comment

Working...
                                X