No announcement yet.

Ship Scaling Sprites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry I haven't replied in a little while. I've been feeling really bad recently (figures of course because I'm an vacation.)

For the most part, the scales are complete. I'll put them on the front page immediately.
    You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

Comment

Originally posted by Battera View Post
      Sorry I haven't replied in a little while. I've been feeling really bad recently (figures of course because I'm an vacation.)

For the most part, the scales are complete. I'll put them on the front page immediately.
      Hope you feal better! And I can't wait! YAHOOOOOO!

Comment

Alright, start of the nitpicks:

1) The Ancient ship is far too long.
        2.4km?!
        My calculations put it at 1.2km meters long when compared to a person in the cockpit. Exactly in line with the designers statement about it being over 1km long.

If you are bassing that 2.4km on that scene with the Daedalus bellow the Orion, then that is a BAD comparison.
        The Daedalus is far bellow the Orion, making the Orion which is 2-2.5(at absurdly most) times longer appear 4+ times longer.

2) Your Asgard O'neill is about 2/7 too long.

3) The Wraith Cruiser should be about 50% longer, with the Orion at 1.2km long.

4) The Hive is way too short, just over 1/3rd of its size.

The Prometheus is a tad small compared to the F-302, and the Daedalus Class is about 70m too short.

Comment

While the Daedalus is below the Orion, it isn't that significantly below it. When the leave to fight the Wraith Hives, they look almost as if they were on the same plain.

And please stop quoting the designers... and I'm talking to everyone on this.

EDIT: And going back to what the very first post says, please provide some proof.

Here, I'll help you!

http://www.stargatecaps.com/

This is a great site for screencaps.
          You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

Comment

Using the episode "Allies" I scaled Lorne at 2 meters in that pull out shot, then using the Orion models from the designer's sight, I scaled lorn against the bridge, and then the bridge against the ship, making the ship about 1.1-1.3 in length.

Try it yourself to duplicate the results.

Here is my scaling image:
            After scaling Lorne as 2 meters (I think, maybe not 2 meters, but probably 2 meters) against the bridge, I approximated the length of the bridge "head" as at most 64 meters, then I did this:

It says: 64m x 20 = 1280m

And the 20 is the 20 64 meter long yellow segments I used to get the length.

This scaling is EXACTLY in the range the designer said.
            So I trust him.

That other poster who scaled the Daedalus Class "Odyssey" at 585 on his own, was told that the Daedalus Class was a little longer.
            The person "ON HIS OWN" scaled it to nearly 600m and the designer told him that was almost right.

Thus from those two evidences, the Orion is certainly above the Daedalus enough to make it look like the Daedalus is 1/4 the length, when it is in reality under 1/2.

As for the Hive ship,
            This is my scaling set.
            In no man's land the Daedalus is shown to be around the same plane as the Hive ship.
            Certainly not much further away from Camera than the Hive, but possibly closer making the HIve LONGER than 11km.
            Here is a scaling with Daedalus at 450m

With it at 600 meters, it proves the Hive is CERTAINLY 11km long. Even that image with the superimposed Daedalus over the Hive on the computer screen shows the Hiev to be in the 11km ballpark if the Daedalus is about 600m long.
            Last edited by An-Alteran; 20 February 2007, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Nice scaling An-Alteran! Where did you get that orion picture from?? (I'd certainly like to have that well detailed orion as my wallpaper!)

Comment

Scalling ships to people can be tricky. You have to take in account that the set designers aren't always accurate with what is intended, mich like the graphics people. Unless the person is right next to the ship. in an inarguable way, then the scallings have wavering inaccuracies. BTW, you do know that a meter is about 3.3 feet, so a 2 meter person would be more than six and a half feet, which I am sure Kavan smith is not.

The green bar on the Daedalus only accounts for some of the ship. You forgot to add the 'head' and the ship's front antennae, and I have scalled the 304 at 511 meters, from taking 'Flesh and Blood' shots of Carter next to the Oddysey, and scalling the 304 to the Ha'tak which is agreed to be about 720 or so meters wide.

Finally, it is difficult to know at what position the Hives are to the Camera in your second shot, but in the Atlantis briefing pic, we clearly see that the Hive is only 11-12 times the size of the Daedalus (using 'only' lightly of course).

-LGBT-

Comment

Scalling ships to people can be tricky. You have to take in account that the set designers aren't always accurate with what is intended, mich like the graphics people. Unless the person is right next to the ship. in an inarguable way, then the scallings have wavering inaccuracies. BTW, you do know that a meter is about 3.3 feet, so a 2 meter person would be more than six and a half feet, which I am sure Kavan smith is not.
                  Than the Orion is shorter. I actually scaled him to the height of the Bridge.
                  Making the Bridge around 3m tall. I was estimating when I told you.
                  The Bridge is just over 1.5 Lornes tall, using thre DIGITAL image of Lorne, not the actual.
                  You can just barely make him out moving in that image when you watch it.
                  That is what I did, and used that as a refference.
                  My sizing of 1.3 is actually an AT MOST scaling.
                  It might actually be shorter. I rounded UP in my initial scaling of the bridge in relation to the person, not down.

The green bar on the Daedalus only accounts for some of the ship. You forgot to add the 'head' and the ship's front antennae, and I have scalled the 304 at 511 meters, from taking 'Flesh and Blood' shots of Carter next to the Oddysey, and scalling the 304 to the Ha'tak which is agreed to be about 720 or so meters wide.
                  Other scaling makes it 60m longer at least, and according to the designer that is about (not quite long enouhg though) right.

Finally, it is difficult to know at what position the Hives are to the Camera in your second shot,
                  Three options:
                  1) Significantly farther away from the camera. In which case the Hie is smaller.
                  My View: Ruled out because of later scenes of the Daedalus going around, near, and Between the Hives. Plus the circular launch pattern of the missiles, and the fact that a missile hits just the other side of the rear top of the Hive.

2) Significantly closre to the Camera: Making the Hive well over 11km.
                  My View: This would contradict all evidence.

3) Around the area it looks like it is, on the verticle plane of the Hive.
                  My View: Likliest of all do to the fact that the missiles launched in a circular pattern. And the fact that this would place the messurment exactly at the Hive being 11km.
                  Furthermore, scaling in the "everything you wanted to know" thread showed from other episodes that the Hive was around 11km.

Thus: The Hive IS by all evidence exactly what the Designer said.

but in the Atlantis briefing pic, we clearly see that the Hive is only 11-12 times the size of the Daedalus (using 'only' lightly of course).
                  Yeah, a blurry picture of Daedalus is 1/14 (check my picture, the blue is the minor blur adjusted length) of a Hive
                  Multiply 14 by 600 (about the length of the other person's far more comprehensive scaling, and in the ballpark of the designer's word), You get 8800m. Which is close to 11km if you take into account the blur of the image.
                  At 500m the Hive is 7000m, also in the Ballpark if you consider the still existing blur.

Comment

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
                    Nice scaling An-Alteran! Where did you get that orion picture from?? (I'd certainly like to have that well detailed orion as my wallpaper!)
                    It is from "Essence design works" but the websight was locked out, because some jerk started claiming the images as his own on sci-fi meshes.

There are ways around the block, and here are all the images to the Orion:
                    This is the image I used for scaling:

These are all the others:

Last edited by An-Alteran; 21 February 2007, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Wow... now I remember why I chose to go with PNG in stead of JPEG...

Anyway, given that the computer screen model of the Wraith Hive is likely the most accurate because we are 100% certain of where the Hive is, then the length of the Hive is about the same as my original size, if not a bit larger.

And the set of the bridge in comparison to the Orion is not an accurate source for the size of the ship! The set was 99.99% likely not to have been built for direct scallings to the ship, there for we must resort to using other examples of the ship's size.
                      And I am still not convinced that the Orion is significantly closer to the camera than the Daedalus in the one shot from 'No man's Land'.

And to state my opinion about those pictures, Jeremy Hamton is a god among us. Those pictures are divine!

-LGBT-

Comment

Here's a demo of the new space engine including alternating radar settings (press enter to switch), new weapons, and some other new features that escape me at the moment... Oh yeah, you have an Ori warship as an ally!

Clickety...

To play, click 'New Game'. I haven't had time to change the Main page.. or much of anything, but the new size-scale has been put in, as well as the new illiad sprite.

-LGBT-

Comment

...and it turns out the fourth game won't be the last in our series of original stories afterall...

I can now confirm a fifth game in the series. Details on the story are currently sketchy, as I have yet to write it. The premise is, something (or someone) arises as a repercussion of the end of the fourth game, and basically makes the main characters such as Cassandra O'neill, Michelle Frazier, and Jessica O'neill (Who is of course Cassandra's daughter, who possess Cassandra's genetic memory due to the whole symbiote-merging thing) have to take the SBC-308 Oddyseus into the void to stop it (yeah... it's a play on the name of our group).

It will be touched on in the fourth game, that Jessica possess many advanced abilities beyond that of the priors, and maybe even Adria. She can build incredible marvels that are the essence of the mastery of form and function, on par with that of the Ancients themselves.

Anyway, the fifth game will be our very own time-travel/alternate reality story, and will feature things such as the Ancient war with the Wraith, the Ori crusade in the Milky way, and the schism of the Ori and Alterans, as well as Legyon's birth.

The best part is, I'll have seniority over this game, which means it will directly reflect everything I want to put into it. It will be my 'vission'. Of course it will also mean that I'll have to put everything together by myself, but I've learned alot, and it will be good... hopefully.

-LGBT-

Comment

...and it turns out the fourth game won't be the last in our series of original stories afterall...

I can now confirm a fifth game in the series. Details on the story are currently sketchy, as I have yet to write it. The premise is, something (or someone) arises as a repercussion of the end of the fourth game, and basically makes the main characters such as Cassandra O'neill, Michelle Frazier, and Jessica O'neill (Who is of course Cassandra's daughter, who possess Cassandra's genetic memory due to the whole symbiote-merging thing) have to take the SBC-308 Oddyseus into the void to stop it (yeah... it's a play on the name of our group).

It will be touched on in the fourth game, that Jessica possess many advanced abilities beyond that of the priors, and maybe even Adria. She can build incredible marvels that are the essence of the mastery of form and function, on par with that of the Ancients themselves.

Anyway, the fifth game will be our very own time-travel/alternate reality story, and will feature things such as the Ancient war with the Wraith, the Ori crusade in the Milky way, and the schism of the Ori and Alterans, as well as Legyon's birth.

The best part is, I'll have seniority over this game, which means it will directly reflect everything I want to put into it. It will be my 'vission'. Of course it will also mean that I'll have to put everything together by myself, but I've learned alot, and it will be good... hopefully.
                            (That Ancient Warship doesn't look to impressive)......What is up with the scalings?! in the game...demo...whatever?! Since when was the Asgard ship bigger than an Ori Ship?! Also, were the DSC-304 and Prommie, and Hatak made in Sketchup? cuz they look like they were made in Sketchup. If so, could you send em to me?

EDIT: ~sorrowfully~ Battera, that Supergate, and Ancient Warship especially, are a real let down. Both the models, sorry to say this, suck.
                            Last edited by Cameron Mitchel; 21 February 2007, 05:15 AM.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Address all complaints to the person who made them.

-LGBT-

Comment

How about all complaints to the person who chose them?
                                Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                                encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                                3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                                4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                                5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Working...
                                X