This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*********************RANT WARNING*****************

Hello, this thread was created for 1 main reason, to help declutter the Science and tech section...newsflash weve failed!
    There is record numbers of new repeats, stupid threads, about things long
    since talked about and mulled over...its stupid! search, or at least look around...classic example, theres a thread in here that has been created for an indivual ships design....there are clearly lots of ship design threads; then later in the way theres a dicussion started about scout ships....they are still covered by the new ship design threads and the orgional ship desing thread, and the earth ship; past present and future threads...WILL PEOPLE PLEASE START LOOKING AROUND!

Rant over
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Comment

Well thats Prim'tah n00bs posting whatever they have on their pathetic little minds without looking around first.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
      Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
      the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
      Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
      The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Genetic research on living human beings scares me to no end.
        More than all of the MSG in our food and more than all of the FDA approved drugs?! Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Right now the military is working to replace the bodies with robots. Viable weaponized genetics technology could be real far away considering the ethical restrictions. Robots ... Robots are going to sneak up on you and impale your brain with some sort of spike arm, before you know it. Isnt that more scary?

Comment

sounds like the replicators meet Irobot to me...also genertics is a tricky issue...personally if i got geneticly manipulated, a turned out a mutent with powers and crap then id be weellll happy! but i dont think that the kind of genetic research were talking about here
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy
            ...How exactly do energy shields work on Star Gate?
            I don't think it has actually been explained how the SG ones work, but Sea had plenty of ideas. You'll find one or two shield threads in the concordance at the start of this thread.

BTW, Is anybody interested in artificial life here?

Comment

Artificial life:
              do you mean artificial intelligence or the engineering of life by artificial means eg creating life in labs etc..???
              I think you should explain, looks like it could be quite interesting ( wud love to get a great debate going again, this thread used to be a hive of knowledge! even my IQ increased!)
              sigpic
              11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                Artificial life:
                do you mean artificial intelligence or the engineering of life by artificial means eg creating life in labs etc..???
                I think you should explain, looks like it could be quite interesting ( wud love to get a great debate going again, this thread used to be a hive of knowledge! even my IQ increased!)
                I meant artificial life as in evolution sims on the computer

But synthetic biology is an interesting topic too The next century will be the century of biology. There's going to be some interesting advances in the next few years.

Comment

I can already see it coming...Biotechnology, nanotechnology, GMbiology (plants, humans, animal)...i hope one thing that can be created is Viable cryrocentics, that would really help us i think...
                  sigpic
                  11000! green me

Comment

i hope one thing that can be created is Viable cryrocentics, that would really help us i think...
                    In order for that to be workable we would probably need to be specifically re-engineered for it. It doesnt seem to possible to put our body through some incredible process that its not designed to undergo. By then though we will probably have farmed organs or elixers of life or some such stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by nickak2003
                      In order for that to be workable we would probably need to be specifically re-engineered for it. It doesnt seem to possible to put our body through some incredible process that its not designed to undergo. By then though we will probably have farmed organs or elixers of life or some such stuff.
                      Or we would just have to find a way to stop our cytoplasm expanding when its frozen and tearing the cell membrane. Possibly a drug to strenghten the cell membrane.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
                      Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
                      the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
                      Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                      The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Originally posted by Harekin
                        Or we would just have to find a way to stop our cytoplasm expanding when its frozen and tearing the cell membrane. Possibly a drug to strenghten the cell membrane.
                        As crazy (and potentially stupid) as this may sound, maybe we need to find a way of shutting down all of our vital functions without actually freezing ourselves. Similar things have been shown in several Science Fiction shows and movies including SG-1 (in the episode "Lifeboat").

Comment

Originally posted by Harekin
                          Actually it's really more of an issue of how do we keep ice crystals from forming when the water freezes as that's what actually does the damage. I'm slightly fuzzy, but I was at a con two or three years ago and attended a panel on cryonics. The guest speakers were from Alcor, one of the main companies doing it right now (I think they're the ones who preserved Ted Williams' head a few years back). If you want more, here's the link to their FAQ.
                          http://www.alcor.org/FAQs/index.html

Comment

*********************RANT WARNING*****************

Hello, this thread was created for 1 main reason, to help declutter the Science and tech section...newsflash weve failed!
                            There is record numbers of new repeats, stupid threads, about things long
                            since talked about and mulled over...its stupid! search, or at least look around...classic example, theres a thread in here that has been created for an indivual ships design....there are clearly lots of ship design threads; then later in the way theres a dicussion started about scout ships....they are still covered by the new ship design threads and the orgional ship desing thread, and the earth ship; past present and future threads...WILL PEOPLE PLEASE START LOOKING AROUND!

Rant over

Well, when your dealing with newbies (in particular) it's virtually impossible to prevent it, with or without this thread. Even so, I need to do some updating myself. I haven't been around much of late, because I've been busy with other things. I'm by no means gone though...
                            The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                            Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                            My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                            Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

i think that the science and technology section is a catalyst for n00b and repeat threads...the sheer volume of stargates technology and the sheer number and level of detail already covered in long vanished threads is ashtonisihing; i dont blame noobs for posting repeat threads, its quite easy, especially in the section to make repeat threats without knowing it: i can hear every calling me a hypacrit because i recently RANTED at n00bs for doing this but im not, i hate the repeat threads but it not for the actual reason they exist but what they represent, which is a totally breakdown of community and active debating within group threads.
                              E.g. there are 3 or 4 good, lively ships threads, but every now and then poeple choose to create their own threads for thier own ships. That is wrong, because the main threads are visable and they should know they are there simply by browsing the first page in the section.
                              'Acceptable' repeat threads would be the likes of "The organic design of wraith hive ships" , This thread would be a repeat thread but the origional is deep in the archive therefore a new thread is fine because it isnt worth dragging the old one up.

- posted this elsewhere but it stands fro the same purpose here.
                              sigpic
                              11000! green me

Comment

immotep, I don't have MSN, sorry, but we have interesting discussions in this thread, don't we?

Since FTL was an interesting topic back when this thread was started, how about having another go.

Three classifications of FTL drive:

Warp drive
                                - Going faster than light using negative energy, space distortion etc.

Hyperdrive:
                                - Conveying yourself through another dimension so that you appear to travel faster than you actually go

Jump drive:
                                - Instantaneous point-to-point jumps
                                - Includes wormholes and BSG-style space folding

Here's my hyperdrive:

Take a sheet of paper. Then place two points on the paper. These points are topologically distant. However, now crumple up the paper into a small ball (the compactifying of higher dimensions following the big bang). The points may be topologically distant, but they are close together if you take the 3rd dimension into account. Now you can get from one point to another by traveling through the 3rd dimension. There ya go - you're there.

Also, if gravity leaks through the other dimensions, then maybe what we're seeing as dark matter is really mass shadows from our universe being 'reflected' through higher dimensions?

Comment

Working...
                                X