Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not if someone volunteers...at the very least they could reverse the process.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
    Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
    the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
    Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
    The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Originally posted by Harekin
      Not if someone volunteers...at the very least they could reverse the process.
      If your new psychopath would let you near him/her. IMO genetic manipulation is just to risky to take chances with.

Comment

Genetic manipulation is the most interesting, controversal and potentially beneficial research we are doing in RL now!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Comment

Genetic manipulation is the most interesting, controversal and potentially beneficial research we are doing in RL now!
          It's still something that I don't think is worth risking using it on humans. that's all I have to say on this subject due mainly to the fact that I don't know enough to make a more in depth judgement.

Comment

I know lots and lots about genetics and we dont have a viable method to properly insert genes into our genome. Like a retro-virus was used once but resulted in leukemia in the receipient(sp?). However with the gene manipulator its takes away all the risk and makes it a totally reversable process.

Comment

I know lots and lots about genetics and we dont have a viable method to properly insert genes into our genome. Like a retro-virus was used once but resulted in leukemia in the receipient(sp?). However with the gene manipulator its takes away all the risk and makes it a totally reversable process.
              All risks? Tell that to the people that Nirti experimented on. Tell that to the Priors(though they aren't a very good example). it may be reversible* but I still don't think we should use the machine at least until we understand the science used to build it.

Genetic research on living human beings scares me to no end. But I'm not dumb enough to think I know everything I need to know about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy
                All risks? Tell that to the people that Nirti experimented on. Tell that to the Priors(though they aren't a very good example). it may be reversible* but I still don't think we should use the machine at least until we understand the science used to build it.

Genetic research on living human beings scares me to no end. But I'm not dumb enough to think I know everything I need to know about it.
                The people Nirti experimented on had the effects reversed!

Comment

The people Nirti experimented on had the effects reversed!
                  Yes but we don't even know how they reversed the effects and I'm not sure that they will want to tell anyone anything about that (infernal) machine. I don't think we are to the point that we need to manipulate human genetics like that.

On a slightly different note; could those who recieve this "treatment" even be considered human anymore? If not the NID and other agencies both of the US government and others would attempt to own them and play down their individuality.

I'll repeat myself yet again, it's just too risky to manipulate human genetics for military purposes. I can't think of any instances besides the one stated above but I know there arre more.

Comment

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Comment

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
                      Agreed.

Comment

Because it more an issue of morality and ethics, which can obvoiusly be vastly different depending on who you are.

Comment

Because it more an issue of morality and ethics, which can obvoiusly be vastly different depending on who you are.
                          very true...

Now I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere but I'm too lazy to search for it, so...

...How exactly do energy shields work on Star Gate?

Comment

Whatever way their designers want them to?

Comment

Whatever way their designers want them to?
                              I was hoping for something a bit more specific but I can live with that answer too.

Comment

Im presuming that by their rounded and almost perfectly flat shape they disappate the energy (kinetic, etc) across the surface. Im also presuming that the energy drain experienced by the shield is because more energy is required to keep the shield shape in a way it can disappate the energy.

Comment

Working...
                                X