X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pazuzu

Ok, I did it! Yay!

So, when looking down on Y axis, the 2 lines appear to intersect, but they do not. I just couldn't imagine it at that point
    Yes, but here's the thing. What does that have to do with the stargate? Wasn't the discussion that was going on related to the system the stargate uses to determine a planet's address? Isn't the simple geometric "answer" to this question that two lines are needed, not three?

(At least this was the discussion I thought I was having, which would be the only one relevant to the stargate system)

Its really simple people:
    L = (Point) + (parameter)(vector)

If you set the equations for two different intersecting lines equal and solve, you get a SINGLE POINT.

EDIT: assume this a cube. Why can't you calculate where they intersect?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cobraR478; 22 March 2006, 01:02 PM.

Comment

You are right only if the 2 predetermined lines actually intersect each other.
      It's a praticular case of the problem.

In stargate, the first 2 lines that are determined by the position of constellations 1,2,3,4 may not actually intersect each other. They appear to intersect only if you are looking from above, being perpendicular on the XoY plane(in my drawing it's the Y axis).
      If you are parallel to the XoY plane, then you can see that they're not intersecting and you need a 3'rd line to determine the virtual point of intersection. Only after you know that point can you make the translation of the first to lines in order for them to actually intersect each other.

In SGUniverse, you actually know where in space you want to go, but you must tell the stargate where is that point in space. For that you must use the constellations on the stargate and it might be very possible that you will not be able to determine 2 lines (formed from any of those constellations) that actually are intersecting each other. If you do find them, well, that's a particular case.
      You might find a multitude of virtual intersection points, that are forming a 3'rd line. The position of the receiving stargate is somwhere along that 3'rd line, but you must know at what height that point is to know for sure where the second gate is. For that you need another 2 constellations to determine a new line that is intersecting the virtual line made by the virtual points of intersections.

Am I making any sense here?

Comment

Originally posted by cobraR478
        Why do the first two lines HAVE to lie on that plane?
        because the X + Y axis make the plane, the Z axis make it a 3D shape
        Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by wako!
          because the X + Y axis make the plane, the Z axis make it a 3D shape
          That makes no sense. Lines do not HAVE to fall on an X,Y plane... or any other plane in particular.

@Pazuzu:

Thank you for posting something that makes sense, follows actual geometry, and would make sense from an engineering perspective.

Comment

you're welcome
            I hope that clears it.

Comment

Lets say there was a planet with Atlantis Address but in 7 symbols. Then they can't reach atlantis. But with 8th they can go farter to Atlantis. (Example-)

@---------------------------@ 7 Cevron
              @----------------------------*----------------------------------@ 8 Cevron
              Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
              Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
              new enemy of the Ori
              At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

Originally posted by cobraR478
                If two lines intersect in 3 dimensional space, that is still going to give you a single point, not an entire line. You can find the intersection of two lines in three dimensional space pretty easily. (if they have one, not likely however)

Two lines intersecting is just as good as three lines intersecting.

here, I have attached a picture of two intersecting line segments. Explain why thats not as good at three intersecting line segments.
                I remember doing this in Math class. You get a problem and you have to graph it. If it doesn't intersect you call it Not True or something. Then you go onto the next Problem that does Intersect and you call it True. If you can look at the problem and tell that it won't work you don't even have to work the problem and see if your lines intersect a the same point.

There is a kick but diagram in the 'Why is There a PoO ' thread post #164
                Last edited by LORD MONK; 24 March 2006, 12:58 PM.
                *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Working...
                X