Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drones weapons are Ancient tech too. And we don't know how long the Ancients were using them. They may very well have been something they used against the Ori. Which means, the Ori would probably have devised some means of defense against them. We should get some Ancient warships anyway though-Our fleet is just too small to pose an effective deterent.

In any event, we know that even Ancient shields can't stop a ship jumping through hyperspace through them. Case in point: Anubis's ship, which used knock-offs of Ancient shielding technology. Ori shields may be more advanced, but it seems unlikely they devised a defense against such a tactic. Why would they? The Ori don't seem to use fighters (and theirs is a combat doctrine that wouldn't change a lot in thousands of years so long as it worked), and the Wraith don't have any ships small enough to fit into the space between the ship's hull and shields, much less jump through them.

I think it's safe to say that we can buy ourselves some time at least by jumping our fighters (or, heck, a Daedalus even) through the Ori battleship's shields and hitting them with everything we've got. The Ori could adapt to this tactic by modifiying their shields, jumping away themselves, or something else, but at the very least it will let us deal them some severe losses until we can find Merlin's weapon.

I wonder... Would Battlestar Galactica's jump FTL drive be accurate enough to jump through an Ori ship's shields?

Comment

Just a thought thought here though, but were the ori ships really that great? The main weapon looked like it was based on the Ancient Satalite idea, from atlantis (based on the slow fire rate).

But yet the Odysey/korelev shields held up against it. The Ori Satelite that the prommie encountered tore straight through its shields, and resulted in its destruction. Surely the ori ships weapons should have been at least that good (Although would lead to a boring season 10, as everyone would be dead and the galaxy in ori hands!)

Comment

Odyssey and Korolev are more advanced than the Prometheus.
        But still, the Korolev was destroyed after a few shots.

Comment

Originally posted by tomchris45
          Just a thought thought here though, but were the ori ships really that great? The main weapon looked like it was based on the Ancient Satalite idea, from atlantis (based on the slow fire rate).

But yet the Odysey/korelev shields held up against it. The Ori Satelite that the prommie encountered tore straight through its shields, and resulted in its destruction. Surely the ori ships weapons should have been at least that good (Although would lead to a boring season 10, as everyone would be dead and the galaxy in ori hands!)
          I've already discussed this on another thread but I'll post it here also since I can't remember how to link threads, but anyways here’s what I said in that thread:

IMO the 303's and 304's shields were of equal strength it was just that the Ori satellite weapon built up a massive amount of power in some sort of a buffer then fired the built up beam energy which went straight through the 303's shield, and IMO would do the same to a 304. The Ori ships had a similar weapon but it would have been impractical for them to have a weapon that you can only fire once every 4 to 5 minutes in battle so they had to sacrifice some of the weapons potential power in order to have a weapon that can be fired at will instead of having to be charged back up and could still be formidable. IMO the Ori would want this because their probably not sure that all Milky Way inhabitants didn’t have weapons that are equally as powerful and could effect or penetrate their shields. If the Milky Way fleet did have weapons that could effect their shields and their ship's weapons were like the satellite then they would be defenseless for about 5 minutes after their first shot and would be greatly outnumbered against a fleet that could destroy them.
          Last edited by JUNIOR; 11 March 2006, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomchris45

The Ori ship weapon fires a bit faster than the Ethon satellite, and I don't remeber much about the Atlantis one. However, one hit from the weapon took the Oddessey's shields down to 50%. Two shots from that would eliminate them. It destroyed Hataks in one hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Antimatter Sam
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but why do the Ori need a gate to get here? If they are atleast as advanced as the Ancients were why don't their ships just hyperdrive here? Could this be the chink in thier armor we are looking for?
              First of all, it saves a lot more resources to not need a hyperdrive for every ship they've built. And as far as not being as advanced as the Ancients, when have we heard of them ever constructing a Supergate?

Comment

anubis shields were a varient of ancient shields.

ancient shields are very powerfull look at the shield generator of atlantis.

our shield could be better with a other power source look at the siege 3 when the deadules came in with the zmp and the wraith firing at them they didn't even shake.

I belief that drone weapons were made to bypass shields without compremising the shield strength.

think about it when the wraith attacked atlantis for a hundred years the need to fire drones but they would not shut down the shields so that leads to think that it can bypass shields even as powerfull as that of atlantis.

i think that drones when fired dont move in our space time well able to see but not to hit until at target.

Comment

You guys might be forgetting one thing: Ego.

What better way to ridicule and humiliate your enemy than by using their own technology? The Ancients built the Stargates, and now, the Ori are using the same technology to invade the galaxy the Ancients tried hard to kepe a secret. It's like the Ancients, by coming here and bringing their technology with them, are responsible for the Ori's arrival.

Comment

I wonder how ancient drones would fair against an ori ship...

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
                      Though I can pretty much guess what happened to him thanks to untagged season 10 spoilers in the Camelot episode thread

And every other god damned thread on the board.

Comment

Maybe the rings in the center of the Ori ships are sub-space energy recievers. After all you have a limit to how big an energy source you can take on a ship but if you are transmitting energy from a planetary generator you could have nearly unlimited power.

Comment

Originally posted by slammed
                          I wonder how ancient drones would fair against an ori ship...

hmm good point.. maybe that will help us fight against the ori ships.. cause we so far have seen the drones go right through the shields and cause significant damage in the interior structure..

Comment

it not that the alterren was not advance or not that take that long, but the fact is that the universe is infinite, so finding one little galaxy to restarte a new life of our is really hard.

Comment

Well, the thing that puzzled me lately is that when i'm watching the Ori' ships, they look like they have their own mini stargates build within the ship. Could it be that they are somehow harnassing that energy from the gate into powering their ships?

I'm also thinking, a ship of that magnitude is MUCH larger than that of the Ha'taks, 304s, and the Asgards. Remember now, the asgard ships were pretty huge, (their biggest ships), but it looks like the Ori ships are much bigger.

I'm pretty afraid about these Ori ships, it looks to me now that the Lantians and Alterrians wouldn't have weapons that could go against them. I'm freaked out.

This has been MUCH better than SGA's season finalie!
                              Subspace Energy Technology Thread
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

Comment

The ancients never needed a supergate, so why build one? And the hole supergate thing is probably just because its easier for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X