Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check out the memento mori spoilers, might finally get my athena class all along!
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Comment

I cant think far back enough but didnt the Tollan's give them the plans for the Ion Cannons....o wait i remember, the Hatek were able to modify their shields so it would be useless....damn.

i remember an interesting weapon from the crappy movie "Wing Commander" where a missile kept teleporting random places, making it hard to shoot down. if they could put small hyperdrive system in gatebusters, they could possibly hyperjump past shields....but thats a theory.

anyways, for railguns, i really think they should beef it up like those MAC cannons in halo. i read that the navy will be implementing rail guns on their ships in 2014 or so. if they could build an attack Battle Cruiser armed to the teeth instead of Carrier based cruisers, i think we could at least stand a chance.

Comment

what we need is some of those staff based plasma cannons on those htaks. i mean, we did help the jaffa out. they could just give us a few hundred thousand of those things.. i mean really.

they would at least to more damange to the wraith hulls that friggen rail guns pellets
        Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
        (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by CHEL NAK GUY
          What ever happened to that plasma cannon felger was working on in
          Avenger 2.0, i know it got fried but they could fix it write, i mean carter does say in that ep that it could replace the weapons on the BC's
          I have no idea where that went and as far as I know no-one else does either. It may be that with the events in
          Spoiler:
          Moebius
          that Felger never built the thing in the first place. but really I have no idea

Originally posted by GYRONICTON
          ICi remember an interesting weapon from the crappy movie "Wing Commander" where a missile kept teleporting random places, making it hard to shoot down. if they could put small hyperdrive system in gatebusters, they could possibly hyperjump past shields....but thats a theory.
          Actually it didn't teleport it cloaked. And while it was cloaked it couldn't see the enemy so it had to decloak to get a fix on the enemy then cloak to run at it.
          Last edited by Daryl Froggy; 27 March 2006, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy
            I have no idea where that went and as far as I know no-one else does either. It may be that with the events in
            Spoiler:
            Moebius
            that Felger never built the thing in the first place. but really I have no idea

Actually it didn't teleport it cloaked. And while it cloaked it couldn't see the enemy so it had to decloak to get a fix on the enemy then cloak to run at it.

you know... i wonder...

TPTB probally used that episode to compleatly erase nearly every plot hole! :\
            Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
            (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

For such things as ships and stuff why dont they instead of making such small ships they should try to create mssive ships with more generators for stronger shields, more fire power and more F-302s. If you go one on one with a Ha'Tak class ship against one of our Daedalus class ships you will get destroyed. Instead of creating ships that can cause just try to put up a fight they need some big enough to actually be able to destroy another ship. The only thing that we have that is above average is the Asguard hyper drive and the Asguard Shields. However, since they are pretty much only defensive the only thing are ships can do is put a dent into an enemy ship's shield or hull while they get creamed by tons of energy blasts which will eventually make them have to run away so they can recharge the shield. Like they say a good defensive is a good Offensive.
              Descendant of Ancient

"Knowledge Runs Like An Endless River"

Comment

Originally posted by Descendant of Ancient
                If you go one on one with a Ha'Tak class ship against one of our Daedalus class ships you will get destroyed.
                Oddessy took on 3 Ha'tak's and caused damage to them with only 11% shield strength lost. In a serious 1 on 1 fight I can see the Ha'tak losing.
                sigpic
                I am Zim, Irken Invader Zim. I am responsible for the safe obliteration of the human race, not you!' - Zim - Invader Zim
                'Don't worry, officer. You are in a filthy Earth brain hospital. Your feelings are normal. There's a squid brain in your head! ' - Zim - Invader Zim
                'Now, to unleash screaming temporal doom! ' - Zim -Invader Zim

Comment

Originally posted by CueBa'al
                  I would recommend a page be taken from the navy's playbook. Mount some 16" railguns on the BC304, fixed forward if necessary (externally mounted package, etc).

Think about it: a full bore DU projectile, 2 meters long and travelling at the limit of relativistic speed, would slice through anything. The kind of energy delivered would be enough to end life on any chosen earthlike planet with a few well placed broadsides. Fired in an atmosphere, the projectile would ionize gasses behind it and trail a massive sonic boom (big enough to stop a beating heart). In front of the travelling projectile there would be a tremendous shockwave and radiation.
                  Slight problem, how are you going to get the projectiles flying this fast without ripping the firing ship appart, they do what recoil you know.
                  One way could be to fly the ship full speed at the target and fire the guns, then bank away.
                  However, stargate uses masslightening tech, so ones the projectiles drop out of the mass lighting field, they will drop in speed a lot, conservation of momentum and energy.

Comment

The thing to remember is that the Daedalus and its sister ships are trying very hard to be good at everything that capital ships should be. It's got some troop facilities, some fighters, some capital-class weapons, etc. All of which is perfectly understandable for Earth's first forayes into interstellar craft, which were designed to duke it out with Ha'taks and gliders.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Felger's plasma weapon didn't work

Recoil? Maybe gas can be ejected from the rear of the craft to counteract the recoil? Or the ship might be so heavy that there isn't much backwards velocity when the cannon fires.

Recoil (momentum) = mass of projectile x velocity of projectile

Recoil (speed) = (mass of projectile x velocity of projectile) / mass of ship

Damage caused by the projectile is more related to kinetic energy

Kinetic energy of projectile = mass/2 x velocity^2

So a projectile that goes very fast, but doesn't weigh much compared to the ship, can do a lot of damage with minimum recoil.

What about a nuclear missile that carries a minature hyperdrive. It could jump past enemy shields, exit hyperspace in the middle of their ship and detonate. It would only require nanoseconds in hyperspace.

Comment

Yeah, Felger's little plasma cannon failed completely, I don't think they continued with the project after the annoyence he caused.

I think the 304's need some more substantial firepower, even if it was fixed (i.e. not on a turret)... I mean, it usually doesn't take much evasivce action anyway, so pointing it at the target and firing some either: Bigger Rail guns, or maybe if they can figure out an efficiant coil gun, that'd be just as good.

I think a hyperdrive'd missile would be very good, but looking at how badly small hyperdrives perform, and the actually size not being that small, I'd say any missile like that would need to be launched like a fighter, and would probably be quite expensive. I think it'd be highly effective though.

Comment

i thought felgers weapon failed because he tripped on the plug and pulled it out of the socket

Comment

Originally posted by ascott08
                            i thought felgers weapon failed because he tripped on the plug and pulled it out of the socket

Well not exactly what happened but I remember seeing it started it on then seemed to cause a base wide power outage.

Also it supposed to replace missles on f302 as mentioned in that episode not bc303 as some people posted as it mentioned in the episode. This mmakes me think me think that design was not a capital ship weapon.However if they ever got it working they could have modified it so it was a capital ship weapon

Personaly because earth has so few ships and races have alot we will mostly likely be double teamed at least design them to be able to fight 2 or more ships at once Well our shields are pretty good and almost nothing we can do I know to get them better would be get a better power generator for them. However on 1 vs 1 our ships could have decent chance of winning. However 2 vs 1 we do not a good chance of winning. We need more offensive firepower. I believe railguns is effective however between have split our firepower between how many ships is attacking us is the ploblem. My idea is add more railguns.For example on the left of right of ship could have a small arm sticking out and place a couple railguns there. Also making what call heavy assault railguns. Instead of being smaller ammo the ammo would bigger like 1 foot x 1 foot x 1 foot big. Do to power requirements mostly likely would not be used very often and not be rapid firing. But it cause significant damage to ship.
                            http://www.stargatetechworld.com/gif...f302launch.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
                              Felger's plasma weapon didn't work

Recoil? Maybe gas can be ejected from the rear of the craft to counteract the recoil? Or the ship might be so heavy that there isn't much backwards velocity when the cannon fires.

Recoil (momentum) = mass of projectile x velocity of projectile

Recoil (speed) = (mass of projectile x velocity of projectile) / mass of ship

Damage caused by the projectile is more related to kinetic energy

Kinetic energy of projectile = mass/2 x velocity^2

So a projectile that goes very fast, but doesn't weigh much compared to the ship, can do a lot of damage with minimum recoil.

What about a nuclear missile that carries a minature hyperdrive. It could jump past enemy shields, exit hyperspace in the middle of their ship and detonate. It would only require nanoseconds in hyperspace.
                              That's correct about the momentum. And it's not so much larger caliber you need, it's speed. A 1-2 kg projectile fired at relativistic velocities would have kinetic energy equal to the yield of a nuclear weapon. Except keep in mind that this would all be concentrated on one point and effectively shaped at the target, so it would actually receive more of the energy. Remember how effective the nukes were on the hive ships, in part because they expended ALL of their energy on the ship? Same deal.

1 kg at .10c = 4.528E+14 joules = .1 megatons (100 kilotons)
                              1 kg at .25c = 2.947E+15 joules = .7 megatons
                              1 kg at .50c = 1.390E+16 joules = 3.3 megatons
                              1 kg at .75c = 4.595E+16 joules = 11 megatons
                              1 kg at .90c = 1.159E+18 joules = 27 megatons

10kg at .10c = 4.528E+15 joules = 1 megaton
                              10kg at .25c = 2.947E+16 joules = 7 megatons
                              10 kg at .50c = 1.390E+17 joules = 33 megatons
                              10 kg at .75c = 4.595E+17 joules = 110 megatons
                              10kg at .90c = 1.159E+18 joules = 277 megatons

100 kg at .10c = 4.528E+16 joules = 10 megatons

Also if you calculate the momentum (recoil) you'll see that you're much better off having a lighter projectile moving at higher speed.

The 1 kg projectile at .75c had a momentum of 3.396E+8 kg m/s. Assuming that it has a mass similar to that of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier, around 100,000 tons, it would impart a momentum of about 3.75 m/s to the ship (about 8 mph). The 100kg projectile at .10c at something like 10 times the momentum (and thus power requirements) but slightly less impact energy. Now, granted, that speed is per shot so you probably wouldn't want to fire a couple hundred rounds/sec or anything (nor do I think we could do so) but then, at those energies, you don't really need to. They'd cream a ha'tak as surely as the Ori beam weapon did with a few shots.
                              Last edited by Avatar28; 27 March 2006, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes
                                It's got some troop facilities
                                yes

Originally posted by Corey Holmes
                                some fighters
                                yes

Originally posted by Corey Holmes
                                some capital-class weapons
                                Hell no

Best Stargate quote:
                                Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                                Green is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X