This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zat-the third shot.

Alright I searched the forum for a while trying to find a thread similar to this one, but no luck, so anyway, here goes.

In the episode 1969, Jack uses a Zat to destroy their equipment from the future. He does this by firing at the crate holding their equipment three times.

When shooting a target with a zat, the first shot stuns, the second one kills, and the third disintegrates the target, correct?

So if this applies to both living and non-living targets(like the crate, or a dead body), why does it not work against, well, everything, like a space ship, or even a planet? That type of weaponry is insanely powerful. Wouldn't you want to replicate that technology--super charge it to be effective algaisnt larger objects(assuming thats the only thing stopping it from working against those targets)? Equip a super-Zat to the Daedelus, and what can it not take down?

Also, couldn't the SGC spare a few Zats to the Atlantis crew, as such effective weapons would work real well against the Wraith.

What do you all think? Is there something I missed that completly voids everything I said above, cause I know I haven't seen every episode.
    "When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro."-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Baltar for President.

You're right, the disintegration technology could be very useful, which is one of the reasons the third shot is never referenced. You see, it was one of those things TPTB made up then it seemed so stupid they tried to forget it. They even made fun of it in "Wormhole X-treme":

Martin: "And the third shot disintegrates."
    Peter: "Ok, I'm going to pretend you didn't say that because that is quite possibly the stupidest idea you've ever had". (or something to that effect)

So while yes, it would make sense to exploit that tech, TPTB will never show us anyone doing it.

Comment

What you missed is a comment by one of the writers, stating the thrid shot vaporize as a very bad idea. It was droped from the ability of the Zat weapon.
      Since the energy requirment for a vaporazion without a trace is several magnitudes higher then the stun. Plus if you use another mehtod, like shunting the target off into hyperspace for example, which you basicaly have to since nothing else but the target is effected, it would intruduce a radical different operation method compared to the first shot.
      In short, the writers noticed that it was a bad idea from the get go and droped it.

Comment

I see, that makes sense, cause in hindsight I don't recall seeing it used in the past few..years...

Thanks for the replys and clarification.

Baltar for President.

Comment

Originally posted by youngtusk87
          Alright I searched the forum for a while trying to find a thread similar to this one, but no luck, so anyway, here goes.

In the episode 1969, Jack uses a Zat to destroy their equipment from the future. He does this by firing at the crate holding their equipment three times.

When shooting a target with a zat, the first shot stuns, the second one kills, and the third disintegrates the target, correct?

So if this applies to both living and non-living targets(like the crate, or a dead body), why does it not work against, well, everything, like a space ship, or even a planet? That type of weaponry is insanely powerful. Wouldn't you want to replicate that technology--super charge it to be effective algaisnt larger objects(assuming thats the only thing stopping it from working against those targets)? Equip a super-Zat to the Daedelus, and what can it not take down?

Also, couldn't the SGC spare a few Zats to the Atlantis crew, as such effective weapons would work real well against the Wraith.

What do you all think? Is there something I missed that completly voids everything I said above, cause I know I haven't seen every episode.
          The best hypothetical explaination I found is here http://www.stargate-tech.net/ground/goauld/personal.htm.
          It goes some way to explaining in real science terms how the Zat does what it does and its quite a cool site.

Comment

the third shot option was nice as a concept but would eventually make the weapon too powerful plus there's not very much plot wise you can do with it.

The Pro Zat Campaign thread discusses the producers reasoning on getting rid of the third shot.
            Now would you kindly get out of your god's face.

Comment

Well It would have been fine if the 3rd shot vaporization thing made any kind of sense. I've pointed it out in threads before...assuming that each shot has the same energy output, the same energy required to stun a person will not vaporize a person (or another target). There just isnt enough energy.
              The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

i miss the third shot...i want to disintegrate some priors!!!and there could be enough energy if the person had some energy from the previous shotd still in his body...
                tokra operative with sg-6 !!!
                yep a tokra on a sg team who wulda thunk??
                Character Name:Tok'ra-ragnor

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

Not even then it is enough, not even close.
                  We are talking here taser vs small nuke difference in powerlevel.

Comment

I know this had been said before, but I can't remember it, about why didn't the team take staff or zat with them Stargate Atlantis, for saftey if ammo became issues?

Comment

Originally posted by youngtusk87

You know, it's weird because I was just thinking the exact same thing yesterday. But I like explosions better.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmare_warrior
                        I know this had been said before, but I can't remember it, about why didn't the team take staff or zat with them Stargate Atlantis, for saftey if ammo became issues?
                        The producers of the two shows wanted to distance the shows somewhat. The shows have different casts, locations, enemies, and allies, why not weapons?
                        SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

Well, third shot sort of makes sense if you don't look too deep into it and realize it will only work for small objects...no big spaceships lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan Deltoran
                            Well, third shot sort of makes sense if you don't look too deep into it and realize it will only work for small objects...no big spaceships lol...
                            Well it works on people (no matter what size) consistently, and we've also seen it work on objects. Seems less than likely.
                            The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by cafine_us
                              The producers of the two shows wanted to distance the shows somewhat. The shows have different casts, locations, enemies, and allies, why not weapons?
                              Why not weapons indeed, they still use P90s, M4s, M16s, and M9s. The only firearm i've seen them use on Atlantis that I havent seen on SG-1(they may have used it and I just haven't seen it) is the M60. They took all the samr firearms minus the Zats. Too powerful?

Baltar for President.

Comment

Working...
                              X