Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually a MAC round should be the size of a portable, after all the Pillar of Autum is over 3km long....honestly, who designs a space ship with a racing track with so many hills and huge gap in a trench???
    ...but courage, and a steadfast resolve will prove the most valuable assets in this undertaking...well, good luck to you all. *Beams out*

CONNECTION: TERMINATED

Comment

what we need to do is make each round have its own tiny sublight engin... that should solve any problem with shields or anything... itll hit so hard the impact would completely destroy the shell itself.. or give the azguard some icecream or cheese cake for one of artifical blackhole makers
      "I'm still trying to understand, how you thought it was a good idea to test this device by having someone throw you off a balcony."
      "Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried."
      "I shot him. In the leg."
      "I'm invulnerable."
      "Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?"
      "In-vul-ner-able!"

Comment

Originally posted by XxDark-LordxX
        what we need to do is make each round have its own tiny sublight engin... that should solve any problem with shields or anything... itll hit so hard the impact would completely destroy the shell itself.. or give the azguard some icecream or cheese cake for one of artifical blackhole makers
        RRiigghhhtt....

Comment

well our wepons suck... and as long as we dont go public with the sg thingy we have no hope for anything.. unless our scientists figure out how to mass produce squidy thingies
          "I'm still trying to understand, how you thought it was a good idea to test this device by having someone throw you off a balcony."
          "I'm invulnerable."
          "Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?"
          "In-vul-ner-able!"

Comment

Relativistic railguns firing 1-2 kilo slugs are the way to go. I think I calculated awhile back that a single 1 kilo slug moving at .5c would have a kinetic energy of a multimegaton nulcear bomb. Even you could only fire a couple of those per second that's a LOT of pounding putting on those shields (or hull in the case of a wraith hiveship). Guaranteed that those would do MASSIVE damage.

Okay, just did it again. Here are a few fun numbers adjusted for relativistic mass/kinetic energy

1 kg at .10c = 4.528E+14 joules = .1 megatons (100 kilotons)
            1 kg at .25c = 2.947E+15 joules = .7 megatons
            1 kg at .50c = 1.390E+16 joules = 3.3 megatons
            1 kg at .75c = 4.595E+16 joules = 11 megatons
            1 kg at .90c = 1.159E+18 joules = 27 megatons

10kg at .10c = 4.528E+15 joules = 1 megaton
            10kg at .25c = 2.947E+16 joules = 7 megatons
            10 kg at .50c = 1.390E+17 joules = 33 megatons
            10 kg at .75c = 4.595E+17 joules = 110 megatons
            10kg at .90c = 1.159E+18 joules = 277 megatons

100 kg at .10c = 4.528E+16 joules = 10 megatons

as you can see, the kinetic energy scales directly with mass but exponentially with velocity. So it's better to be fast than big here.

With kinetic energy weapons you also have to consider recoil, which would be equal to the momentum, not the KE of the object being fired. Here, too, then advantage would go to the lighter projectile. Example, the 1 kg projectile at .75c had a KE of approx 11 megatons and a momentum of 3.396E+8 kg m/s. The 100 kg projectile had a similar KE of about 10 megatons but a momentum of 3.013E+9 kg m/s, almost 10 times greater!

One last reason to prefer faster over bigger, at a speed of about .86 c the KE of an object is roughly equivlalent to annihilating it entirely to energy. Above this speed it's KE is GREATER than if you converted it entirely to energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
              Relativistic railguns firing 1-2 kilo slugs are the way to go. I think I calculated awhile back that a single 1 kilo slug moving at .5c would have a kinetic energy of a multimegaton nulcear bomb. Even you could only fire a couple of those per second that's a LOT of pounding putting on those shields (or hull in the case of a wraith hiveship). Guaranteed that those would do MASSIVE damage.

Okay, just did it again. Here are a few fun numbers adjusted for relativistic mass/kinetic energy

1 kg at .10c = 4.528E+14 joules = .1 megatons (100 kilotons)
              1 kg at .25c = 2.947E+15 joules = .7 megatons
              1 kg at .50c = 1.390E+16 joules = 3.3 megatons
              1 kg at .75c = 4.595E+16 joules = 11 megatons
              1 kg at .90c = 1.159E+18 joules = 27 megatons

10kg at .10c = 4.528E+15 joules = 1 megaton
              10kg at .25c = 2.947E+16 joules = 7 megatons
              10 kg at .50c = 1.390E+17 joules = 33 megatons
              10 kg at .75c = 4.595E+17 joules = 110 megatons
              10kg at .90c = 1.159E+18 joules = 277 megatons

100 kg at .10c = 4.528E+16 joules = 10 megatons

as you can see, the kinetic energy scales directly with mass but exponentially with velocity. So it's better to be fast than big here.

With kinetic energy weapons you also have to consider recoil, which would be equal to the momentum, not the KE of the object being fired. Here, too, then advantage would go to the lighter projectile. Example, the 1 kg projectile at .75c had a KE of approx 11 megatons and a momentum of 3.396E+8 kg m/s. The 100 kg projectile had a similar KE of about 10 megatons but a momentum of 3.013E+9 kg m/s, almost 10 times greater!

One last reason to prefer faster over bigger, at a speed of about .86 c the KE of an object is roughly equivlalent to annihilating it entirely to energy. Above this speed it's KE is GREATER than if you converted it entirely to energy.
              thats way too many words.. cant u make it shorter and simpler?
              "I'm invulnerable."
              "In-vul-ner-able!"

Comment

thats way too many words.. cant u make it shorter and simpler?
                `

he sed in the rael world if you shot a 1 kg bullit at 0.1 (a10th) of the speed of licht is a yust asl powerful als 5 herosima boms (1=20 kilotons)
                sorry cant spell

Comment

thats pretty freaking strong... so if 1 bullet traveling that fast hit me in the chest its lights out?

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

Originally posted by tony
                    thats pretty freaking strong... so if 1 bullet traveling that fast hit me in the chest its lights out?
                    its lichts out for the intaier city
                    sorry cant spell

Comment

If it has an engine, it's not a railgun anymore. It's a missile without an warhead. It's also very wasteful. Anyway, wants genetic material to save his race. I really want to see the going hand to hand, or at least sitting a the controls of a really big gun.
                      Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                      The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                      I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                      A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                      That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                      Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                      Caboose: They could be worse?
                      Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Okay so ur speed of light in a vacuum is 299,792,458 metres per second then 0.1c is 29,979,245.8 meters per second if im doing ur calcs right so how much faster is that than the rail bullets are going now.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
                        O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

The stated speed of the current small railguns used on the show is mach 5, that is
                          mach 1 = mach 1 = 340.29 m/s times 5 = 1701,45 m/s
                          A projctile at 0.1c would then be 17619.82 times faster.

Yes light speed is pretty freaking fast, and a lightyear is a damn long distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
                            The stated speed of the current small railguns used on the show is mach 5, that is
                            mach 1 = mach 1 = 340.29 m/s times 5 = 1701,45 m/s
                            A projctile at 0.1c would then be 17619.82 times faster.

Yes light speed is pretty freaking fast, and a lightyear is a damn long distance.
                            Mach 5 at 250 miles. Odd that they use such terms for a weapon that's meant to be CIWS on a SPACE ship.

CBA calculating muzzle velocity on a projectile that has mach impact velocity after 250 miles.

Comment

In spacew it will have basicaly the same speed after 250 miles as it has at leaving the muzzle. Sinc ethere is no airdrag or other stuff, except a bit of gravity or a few random atoms scattered around the vastness of space to slow it down.

Comment

Ye, but if the velocity was the muzzle velocity, why did they even mention the 250 miles. Seeing that the railguns were gonna be used in an atmosphere during the defending of Atlantis.

Would be nice to see some calc what velocity something would need to have a 1700m/s velocity after 250 miles in an Earth atmosphere.

That way we could figure out if it's realistic, or if the writers screwed up with their physics talk

Comment

Working...
                                X