Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why must the Stargate be made of naquada if the DHD is the power source?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DHD has a cold fusion reactor(O'Neill's writing in The Fifth Race)

Comment

Originally posted by ItsDan
      Since when?

Basic thing about naquida. I think a more 'scientifis' explanation is that Naquida holds a tremendous amount of potential energy. It can react with many forms of energy, such as an explosion, or electrical energy. The more energy put into it, the more of its potential energy is released. So, put a nuke next to it, get a REALLY big increase, put a firecracker next to it, get a small increase.
      There is actually a substance in real life that does that now. I can't remember its name, but essentially, when bombarded with X-rays it causes an avalanche effect in net energy. It is essentially a nuclear process (neither fusion, nor fission), happening at the atomic scale. It is like rolling a snowball down a mountain. It gets bigger and bigger as it rolls down. This material releases far more energy than is put into it, which is then connected to Heat sinks, and a power generator. There has been talk of using it to power Satellites in space, using Solar Cells to power the X-ray machine.

As to the Naquada in the gate... yeah... it can be used as an energy source, but it also is very useful for other things too. Just like oil is great for gasoline, but it is also great for plastics and a ton of other materials we use every day, and don't even realize it. One reason they use naquada is because it has a special property of being able to absorb many different types of energy. We've seen naquada be used in superconducting, as well as a massive capacitor of sorts. It seems to have both properties.
      The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
      Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
      My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
      Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Doan't naquada absorb neutrinos or something like that? I remembe that in the episode "Crystal Skull". Can neutrinos be used as an energy source

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
          There is actually a substance in real life that does that now. I can't remember its name, but essentially, when bombarded with X-rays it causes an avalanche effect in net energy. It is essentially a nuclear process (neither fusion, nor fission), happening at the atomic scale. It is like rolling a snowball down a mountain. It gets bigger and bigger as it rolls down. This material releases far more energy than is put into it, which is then connected to Heat sinks, and a power generator. There has been talk of using it to power Satellites in space, using Solar Cells to power the X-ray machine.

As to the Naquada in the gate... yeah... it can be used as an energy source, but it also is very useful for other things too. Just like oil is great for gasoline, but it is also great for plastics and a ton of other materials we use every day, and don't even realize it. One reason they use naquada is because it has a special property of being able to absorb many different types of energy. We've seen naquada be used in superconducting, as well as a massive capacitor of sorts. It seems to have both properties.
          IIRC certain isotopes of various elements have the abililty to store high energy electrons which can then be released with a smaller input in energy, so the satellites energy input vs the output on the would be >100%

Comment

The technology of tomorrow... TODAY!

Comment

Call me crazy, but here's my take on things.

Naquahdah is incredibly stable when it come to storing energy, unless of course it's over-exposed to something, like Anubis weapons. Essentially, the wormholes require incredible amounts of energy to connect and remain stable, and that's just locally.

So the Nahquahdah is probably the only material stable enough to be able to contain the charge required, and not suffer any adverse effects. Even the strongest titanium alloy would collapse under sufficient voltages.

The other alternative is that the Nahquahdah acts like a Solenoid, amplifying the power from the DHD source, enough to establish a wormhole. But that wouldn't pan out with the SGC requiring 20% more energy to establish a wormhole then a standard DHD.

Comment

Working...
              X