Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seastallion's explanation was very accurate. Shortcuts through space involve a journey through a different dimension the globe is 3D and the surface is 2D. Travelling along the 2D surface will take longer than travelling throught the 3D globe like wise taking a shortcut through 10D Spacetime is alot shorter than a route through 3D space without violating the speed of light.

Comment

Hasn't it even been explained in the show?

Comment

There is folding of space involved in worm hole but i dont think a fold can be physically created. Basically there are 2 theories which is the balloon theory already explained with the space inside being subspace and wormholes being pathways through this space the other one is also quiet similar.
        Basically it invoves the universe being like a sheet of paper or whatever for example, that has been convoluted or folded and infinite number of times. Normal space travel involves travelling along the surface of these folds much like the balloon teory. Wormholes are tunnels linking these folds to each other and these can be artificially created (stargates) but not the folds themselves. Also subspace is the space between the folds through which the wormhole travel. Now theoretiocally u can create a rip between space and normal space to send a message through these folds. these rips however would potentially be quiet unstable and the point of exit would not be very accurate which is why i think they cant use them to send matter through. Also the fact that it would probably require an amount of energy hundreds if not thousands of times greater than stargates to send matter through subspace rips than if u were to just send a message through.
        Hyperspace on the otherhand is a bit more tricky to explain. I guess it would involve somehow navigating on the boundary between normal space and subspace.
        Oh and space time is just and overly complicated way of describing the time taken for an object to get from one fixed point to another in space. Bending space time simply means bending space while something is moving through it.
        That taks me back to the point that you cant actually fold space because it is already folded which is probably why daniel was looked upon as a idiot with 2 legs by omac when he made that remark At which point omac did actually state that it wasnt folding space time. Hopefully this should conclude the matter lol
        Last edited by al87013; 31 January 2006, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by al87013
          Oh and space time is just and overly complicated way of describing the time taken for an object to get from one fixed point to another in space. Bending space time simply means bending space while something is moving through it.
          There are no fixed points in space.

Comment

You know, it might have something to do with time.... just a thought
            To the Prometheus...

The first...

She will be missed

Comment

Ok small typo to correct brought to my attention by acended warrior. I should have written 2 fixed points in space 'at any given time'. Heck no ones perfect You can argue that if you are trying to find time taken then time itself cannot be fixed as well otherwise the journey would be instantaneous. However what you have to realise is that these folds in space move in a relative motion, making it it possible to calculate and fix time and hence space at both the start and ending point. Beyond this any further explanation would require the use of equations which im sure everyone here 'LOVES' NOT! so u will just have to trust me on this one.
              Last edited by al87013; 01 February 2006, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X