This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plus the estimations weren't reliable.
    What made the system unstable were elements that couldn't be foreseen.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Using ZPM's as a weapon would be impractical unless you could mass produce them. And then there are laws of physics that make it that way. I'm waiting for them to come across a Dyson sphere, maybe built by the Ancients or the Furlings. Do you think they could direct the power of one into a weapon? That'd be like one of those giant ships from farscape. (I never really watched the show, what are they called?)
      Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
      The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
      I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
      A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
      That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
      Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
      Caboose: They could be worse?
      Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedWarrior
        LEE: We were gonna send it to Antarctica! Look, can you imagine if someone had taken it and plugged it into the chair in the Ancient outpost? I-I can’t even imagine the magnitude of the explosion. A charged ZPM detonating that – I don’t know, I mean, it could have destroyed the whole planet.

The zpm would only detonated the substance it wouldn't explode.
        Yes, but then Lee ran a charge through some tiny grinds and that exploded.

I think what the poster meant is to scrap off more, and then put that in a missile. This way, you get a big boom, but not nearly as big as if the whole ZPM detonated.

Comment

Originally posted by chemicalNova
          If they figure out how to remote control a jumper (which, if I remember correctly, they couldn't last time)
          they would do it last time, but the MkII wasnt stable enough to provide the power when sheppard went to control it.

Spoiler:
          in critical mass the zpm is sent to overload, mckay (i think) said the explosion would wipe ou the entire planet and thats a ridiculous amount of energy

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
            Yes, but then Lee ran a charge through some tiny grinds and that exploded.

I think what the poster meant is to scrap off more, and then put that in a missile. This way, you get a big boom, but not nearly as big as if the whole ZPM detonated.
            I'm fairly sure he meant the zpm.

Comment

thats how he got the title ZPM tiped megaxplosive

little typo there

Comment

I think he mixed up the zpm's casing and the substance on the casing.

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedWarrior
                  I think he mixed up the zpm's casing and the substance on the casing.
                  well it would still blow up, one way or another.
                  we say ZPE's destructive effects in
                  Spoiler:
                  trinity where mckay blew up the solar system and almost in critical mass when mckay (i think) estimated it would blow up the entire planet when it overloaded

Comment

Spoiler:
                    The ZPM was not rigged to explode on its own. The computer system on Atlantis had been tampered with and all of its failsafes removed. These failsafes keep the massive amount of energy produced by the zpm in check, and the power necessary to dial intergalaxy would push the power into the red. Basically, its like a nuclear reaction in that the same processes that when moderated give power can be extremely destructive when they go critical.
                    Last edited by aacid; 03 February 2006, 01:18 PM.
                    Sir, Request permission to beat the... out of this man"

Comment

Exactly, you can destroy the zpms casing without it exploding. But if it overloads, bye bye solarsystem.

Comment

Originally posted by aacid
                        Spoiler:
                        The ZPM was not rigged to explode on its own. The computer system on Atlantis had been tampered with and all of its failsafes removed.
                        I never said the ZPM was to explode on its own, i said it was overloading and could have exploded. I also mentioned having to draw enough power.
                        Welcome to the forum aacid, that posts needs spoiler tags BTW [spoil*]xxx[/spoil] (xxx being ur post and u need to remove the *)

Comment

The ZPM in Zero Hour was tainted with a foreign compound. The compound explodes when energy is directed to it, the explosion proportional to the amount of energy. if the ZPM had been plugged into the chair in the Antartica the energy flowing through it would have come into contact with the compound causing a massive explosion. The chemical + the Zpm power would cause proportionally greater explosion than the ZPM alone. So a ZPM alone could destroy a planet, Zpm plus chemical you lose the solar system.
                          Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

First, I got the eps confused in my last post. (I hadn't watched ZH in over a year, but I just got the DVD)Second, you don't need the ZPM at all, just the substance. It blows when electricity is sent through it, so why waste ZPM's when you can use a 9 volt and the chemical.
                            Sir, Request permission to beat the... out of this man"

Comment

Originally posted by McSwift
                              Ok guys, I just realized something while watching Zero hour again. Do you guys remember when Camulus was trading a ZPM for his freedom however upon discovery by Dr.Lee, they found that the ZPM was rigged to explode.

They estimated that if they induced an electric current to the rigged ZPM that it would destroy the entire universe (I'm not sure if they said galaxy or not).

In the epsiode, they took a small microscopic piece of the ZPM was charged it. It exploded. What if they used 1gram? Probably blow up Shianne mountain (sp?).

We keep on talking about the Wraith blocking our nukes from being beamed aboard, and some has talked about things such as hyperspace missiles to beaming a nuke along side to the wraith ship. With the hyperspace missile, its defnitely clear that its complex to build and cost way too much. With the nuke along side the ship, its possible that it won't destroy but probably damage the wraith ships horribly.

It would be great to see just a small capsule encased with a small amount of the ZPM's casing, enduced to a charge enough to blow anything close to the capsule. It would cost little to nothing to build, and probably give alot of ammunation to us.
                              powerfull enough to blow up the solar system. if it blew up the galaxy then what would be the point of that dirty great big weapon on dakara

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Master
                                Does any one know why a charged ZPM only at 50% can blow up the solar system but
                                Spoiler:
                                Acturus which was supposed to be the equivelent of 25 ZPM's only blow up three quarters of a solar system when it went boom
                                Because Sam did the math on the ZPM, and sometimes she messes up (like "Ethon" for example).

And your'e all wrong. Both the substance and the ZPM would explode. The substance on the ZPM would likely reacte chemically with the casing and would act as a primer charge which would then detonate the ZPM itself. Likely the ZPM wouldn't even "detonate" in the sense we're all thinking, but instead the zero point energy would no longer be contained, leaking into our dimension and a catastrophic cascade effect would likely be the result.

Comment

Working...
                                X