This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by o-0
    ok...next Q: why dont the good guys use that hyperspace "wormhole" to block attacks from the ori? and why dont they make one on inside/on the ori ships to destroy them?
    Because as far as we've seen in the show it isn't possible for the hyperspace "window" (it's not a wormhole it is a window) to do any damage to another vessel.

Comment

i didnt see them ever try to destroy a ship with a hyperspace window
      and even if its not for offensive purposes, why not use it for defensive purposes?

Comment

Originally posted by o-0
        i didnt see them ever try to destroy a ship with a hyperspace window
        and even if its not for offensive purposes, why not use it for defensive purposes?
        Well since I don't know everything maybe you could tell me how they could use that as a defensive/offensive weapon. Because I'm not sure it would work. Besides didn't they do that in another Sci-Fi show?

Comment

well since a hyperspace window is meant to transport things that go in it through hyperspace to another location, the beam from the ori ship would go through the window and end up somewhere else...

Comment

Originally posted by o-0
            well since a hyperspace window is meant to transport things that go in it through hyperspace to another location, the beam from the ori ship would go through the window and end up somewhere else...
            But the window would have to be properly tuned for that to work and If the Ori came up with a way around that defense it may take a while to re-adjust the window generator to allow the ship to escape.

Comment

they could have at least tried once.. and i doubt they were thinking of escaping
              all they had to do was face the ori ship and make a window in front of them when the ori ship fired

Comment

Originally posted by o-0
                they could have at least tried once.. and i doubt they were thinking of escaping
                all they had to do was face the ori ship and make a window in front of them when the ori ship fired
                I highly doubt it's that simple even if it is possible. But you could suggest this on the "Earth Space Weaponry" thread they might have a better idea about the plausibility of this as a weapon than I do.

Comment

im a bit new and off topic but close,

if the unstable antimatter vortex in se03e03 was able to punch through the ori ship's shields whereas no other weapon could, wouldnt it be relli good if they could install the same shield tech as atlantis' iris shield on the earth ships? because i've noticed that the atlantis team turns the shield on right before the vortex comes through and blocks it.

Comment

Not microns, micrometers. Microns are tiny physical objects, micrometers are a measurement. Number two, I would guess that the unstable vortex that is created by the singularity forming is contained within those few micrometers because of how matter does not completely reform since the iris is so close to the event horizon. Maybe the vortex does not completely form because of that fact. Is the vortex is to some extent physical, right? It's all just theory.
                    Jack (Addressing Teal'c): You're so.....shallow!
                    Daniel: Oh please, Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know, I mean, he's so deep! Come on, tell them how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                    Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this converstation.
                    Daniel: OH! You see!?
                    Jack: No more beer for you.

Bring back SG-1 on SciFi, or the terrorists win.

Comment

Hey i was about to make a new thread until i thought this belongs in here, the last few days i've heard various people praddle on about what would happen if you walked backwards through a gate or entered it through the other side

Now my question is what would happen if u had an active stargate, plus an active Supergate at the same time, what would happen if the stargate passed through the active super gate, when it came through the other side, would it come out with the wormhole still active? before u say anything i know it would shutoff because its not in the same area, but would it just shut off or when it came through would it automatically be off, but that would mean it was shutdown through the wormhole which its not ment to do.

now my last thing is, would the collision between two active wormholes result in any nasty effect?, or would parts of stuff coming through the gate go to both sides of the destinated planets

and last but not least, would the wormholes start sending other wormholes through eachother?
                      Last edited by Locutus_Of_Borg; 21 October 2006, 06:06 AM.
                      I Am Locutus_Of_Borg Resistance Is Futile, Hallowed Are The Ori, We Go Out With Our Phasers Firing

[QUE] Founder/Admin - Observation Of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement On Supraquantum Structures By Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal Of Extremely Long Wavelength Pulse From Mode-Locked Source Array

Comment

Here is a question I've always had: When the off-world teams punch in their code to open the iris, does it display a confirmation that the iris is open or are they taking a big chance each time they come back through the gate? They never really made that clear, but I would logically assume that they would have a confirmation code to say its "All Clear"...especially military equipment.
                        The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

Here is my theory

Spoiler:
                          The iris should be destroyed every time is it closed and a wormhole is open, the show is just lazy. Sometimes hammond orders the iris closed after the wormhole is formed, and sometimes its already closed. There would be a problem if you would have to close the irisafter a wormhole is formed, such as in season 7s lost city, anubis dials earth, and somehow the wormhole forms, a bomb is sent through, and wormhole closed within 1 second. I believe that the atlantis shield is strong enough to resist the, because in the sg1 season 10 episode the pegasus project, the ori ship is destroyed by the vortex. So it is complete crap that the vortex "just doesn't happen" when the iris is closed.

So in conclusion, all evidence supports the fact that the earths iris should be destroyed if its closed when a wormhole forms. Energy shields can repel the vortex, but must be incredibly advanced. So far, the only ones who found a way to repel the vortex have been of course the aciencts.

Comment

i think because in the early days the iris was made of titanium and it would be decintigrated with the kawoosh, but after season 2's black whole episode it got replaced with a trinnium iris, and thats when they stopped closing it AFTER the gate turned on, so i think certain thinks can withstand it, just not our primitive metals and organic matter
                            I Am Locutus_Of_Borg Resistance Is Futile, Hallowed Are The Ori, We Go Out With Our Phasers Firing

[QUE] Founder/Admin - Observation Of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement On Supraquantum Structures By Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal Of Extremely Long Wavelength Pulse From Mode-Locked Source Array

Comment

Originally posted by Farva603 View Post
                              Here is my theory

Spoiler:
                              The iris should be destroyed every time is it closed and a wormhole is open, the show is just lazy. Sometimes hammond orders the iris closed after the wormhole is formed, and sometimes its already closed. There would be a problem if you would have to close the irisafter a wormhole is formed, such as in season 7s lost city, anubis dials earth, and somehow the wormhole forms, a bomb is sent through, and wormhole closed within 1 second. I believe that the atlantis shield is strong enough to resist the, because in the sg1 season 10 episode the pegasus project, the ori ship is destroyed by the vortex. So it is complete crap that the vortex "just doesn't happen" when the iris is closed.

So in conclusion, all evidence supports the fact that the earths iris should be destroyed if its closed when a wormhole forms. Energy shields can repel the vortex, but must be incredibly advanced. So far, the only ones who found a way to repel the vortex have been of course the aciencts.
                              I agree
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RepliHawk View Post
                                I agree
                                I thought we all agreed that the iris would not be destroyed because it is close enough to the event horizon to prevent matter (i.e. particles that make up the unstable vortex) from integrating. There was a whole segment of "A Hundred Days" that addressed that.
                                The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

Working...
                                X