This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mio
    The destructive vortex particles can't form when an iris is present.

When a stargate is buryed, and is turned on, the barrier forms an iris. when it's off and burried, the gate becomes unusable until it's unburried.
    If you look through some episodes you'll find that this man is Correct!!!
    My name comes from a Greek word that means a supernatural being halfway between a god and a human being (but not a demi-god). Though I am also the master of magic. Therefore... Stargate rules!!!

Comment

What would happen if you walked around an active gate and walked through the other side of the event horizon?
      Might be a stupid question, but hey...

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak
        What would happen if you walked around an active gate and walked through the other side of the event horizon?
        Might be a stupid question, but hey...
        I think there is a thread about that somewhere on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy
          I think there is a thread about that somewhere on the forum.
          There have been several discussions about this already but its ok for asking its a good question mainly because we don't know. The logical course would be to put some kind of energy barrier that would prevent you from entering. This would mostly be for the protection of primitive people, however, perhaps the ancients were only thinking about their own use and didn't consider others. If you have a deck on the back of your house and small children you may want to put railings on it, with intricate laticces to protect your children from falling but if you don't have children and only mature adults will be using the deck there is no reason to put intricate lattices.

Comment

Plot Holes

Comment

There is indeed a discrepancy in the Stargate. The ancient Egyptions buried their gate preventing it's use. The Nox were advised to bury the gate to prevent its use. And yet, in "100 Days", a buried gate WAS activated. Therein lies the discrepancy in the technology line.

Comment

Not at all. In 100 days the gate wasn't buried (at least not in the sense you're referring to). The gate was active at the time and so the molten material flowed over top of the event horizon and hardened. When the wormhole disengaged it had formed a natural iris. The material was not within the stargate, which would have kept it from connecting. So just like our gate, it's able to be dialed but nothing can get through without going splat.

Comment

when the gate was covered in magma wouldnt it go through just like in

Spoiler:
                  the episode of stargate atlantis called inferno where they closed the sheild just as the gate sunk in magma and the magma went through the gate but the shield stoped it spiling across the atlantis gateroom
                  War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Comment

apparently not in this case. Don't ask me, I didn't write the episode. And it was actually melted naquada, presumably from the stargate itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakebbq
                      when the gate was covered in magma wouldnt it go through just like in
                      The Gate was necessarily coved in magma. It was impacted with an extremely heat meteor which while molten was not a flowing liquid. Therefore, the meteorite rested on the Stargate and possibly within the wormhole, but since the entire of the meteor didn’t enter the wormhole, it didn’t come through to the other side. The DHD was then disconnected, and the power was cut to the gate, but not before the liquid of the event horizon hardened into an iris.

Spoiler:
                      The events of inferno most likely caused the same thing to occur as soon as the Stargate shut down. However, unlike 100 Days where the Stargate was resting on solid ground, in Inferno the Stargate was within the magma. So the wormhole was formed into an iris-like blockade, while the backside of the gate was filled in causing the gate to be essentially buried and to not allow incoming connections.

" A friend of mine once sent me a post card with a picture of the entire planet Earth taken from space. On the back it said, "Wish you were here." " --Steven Wright

--Does that sound familiar to anyone else?--

Comment

what about the other side of the gate?
                        what happens if you go into it? do you go through it? end up on the gate dialed,hit a force field? you die?

http://sgadebates.blogspot.com
                        stargatechat.zoomshare.com
                        http://lostpimp123.proboards98.com/

Comment

The answers you seek lie here: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=22491

Best Stargate quote:
                          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

could someone explain the other side of the gate?

http://sgadebates.blogspot.com
                            stargatechat.zoomshare.com
                            http://lostpimp123.proboards98.com/

Comment

Indeed. What happens when you enter through the 'wrong' side of the gate?
                              [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
                                Indeed. What happens when you enter through the 'wrong' side of the gate?
                                I would imagine that nothing would happen. If the entrance side is ‘solid’ that can sense resistance and hold items in position when not touching the ground (i.e. The wreath in ‘Fire and Water’). Then there is no reason why not to assume that the back of the gate would have a strong enough resistance to feel like a soft wall. You couldn’t push through it if you wanted too.

The movie would have us believe that the back of the wormhole spirals horizontally outward. In which you would see the funnel if you walked behind the gate. This, however, is not consistent with SG-1 cannon.

" A friend of mine once sent me a post card with a picture of the entire planet Earth taken from space. On the back it said, "Wish you were here." " --Steven Wright

--Does that sound familiar to anyone else?--

Comment

Working...
                                X