This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pasankoon
    That is basically what I said as well except I used the term 'Event Horizon' to describe the energy field you spoke of. I also agree that this energy feild has got nothing to do with the wormhole itself it is just a field connected to the buffer in order to transport matter. However in the case of the vortex I dont agree that it is formed just in front of the event-horizon/energy-field. I believe it is a part of the visible energy field it self wich in turn is directly connected to the buffer. I come to this conclusion because according to Carter the vortex is a safety mechanism designed to wipe the buffer and not nessesaraly what is in front of it (although it could be secondary puropose of the vortex I never thought of that before). In order for this to occur the vortex must be directly connected to the buffer and therefore must be a part of this energy-field/event-horizon. Another reason why this cannot be the case is that the vortex is still formed despite the fact that the Iris is closed. As stated in '48 hours' Carter could not work out a way to open the wormhole without generating a vortex to prevent Teal'c's energy signiture from being wiped. If this was the case she would have merely engage the gate with the Iris closed and open the Iris just like they would do to any autherised incomming traveller to let Teal'c through. Hence I am still unable to comprehend why the Iris doesn't disintergrate when wormhole is activated.
    Yes, the two are obviously related in some way but not necessarily part of the same thing. I'm sure the splash isn't necessary to wipe the crystals, I'm quite sure the ancients could find a way to do that without something that big (or dangerous). My guess, they're probably called from the same subroutine and are an inherent part of the dialing process (e.g. there's no way to dial the gate normally without going through that process. Obviously the hand dialers work around this somehow).

Comment

Just read through this whole thread, and I've got a weird theory that could explain a ton of stuff for it.

The "vortex" is a similar form of matter/energy to light, and thus has "Wave/Particle Duality." Science experiments in the past have shown that light will act as either a wave, a particle, or both, depending on circumstances. (It's some freaky crap. I'm probably not qualified to explain it fully.)

Anyway, if the vortex behaves similarly, then it's possible that when the gate is unblocked by a form of iris, the "kawhoosh" is a dissapation of the energy expended by the creation of the event horizon. If something is in the path, the "kawhoosh" goes around it, but the proximity to the large amounts of destructive energy typically demolecularizes it. However, despite this destruction, they coexist for a moment.

If there is not enough empty volume in front of the Stargate for the "kawhoosh" to displace into, such as an iris, the energy vortex takes a different form, instead dissipating the energy through the Stargate itself. However, the event horizion does still generate, allowing radio contact despite the physical blockage of the area. Anyone physically trying to go through, though... well, if there physically isn't enough space, they get dissipated into the Gate as energy as well. Ow, huh?

I'm still trying to come up with a reason to explain why you'd even have the Kawhoosh in the first place, if this is true. Could be power costs--it takes more power on this end to generate the wormhole in the first place if the iris covers the Stargate. It could be a durability issue--Stargates that have this done on a regular basis are more likely to malfunction, and can theoretically develop an energy buildup that would backfire into and destroy its DHD. (This would explain why the DHD fried in the episode where they had to free Teal'c from the "gate memory," too.)

So, whaddya think? Am I crazy, or does this make a tiny bit of sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
        Yes, the two are obviously related in some way but not necessarily part of the same thing. I'm sure the splash isn't necessary to wipe the crystals, I'm quite sure the ancients could find a way to do that without something that big (or dangerous). My guess, they're probably called from the same subroutine and are an inherent part of the dialing process (e.g. there's no way to dial the gate normally without going through that process. Obviously the hand dialers work around this somehow).
        Indeed. Most hand dialers such as the ones used by the Nox, the Asgard and the Ancients (Cassandra's hand device looked Ancient in design) would utilise some other means of wiping the buffer such as by directly tapping into the gates computer systems and wiping the memory banks resulting in nor need for the vortex to be formed. Perhaps the Ancients for some reason deemed it unnsessesary to include such devices in the standard gate networks DHD's. Most likely because so that planets that for some reason or the other had lost there DHD such as Earth a vortex concept is already built into the Gate itself to wipe its buffer every time it is engaged as a safety measure.

In '48 Hours' Carter was trying to figure out a way to open the gate without creating a vortex such as how she has seen the Nox and the Asgard do but without wiping the buffer by other means either in order to save Teal'c's energy signiture. This combined with the logical assumtion that the vortex must be directly connected to the event-horizon/energy-field in order to wipe the buffer which is connected to it means that Iris or no Iris the vortex is still formed. Therefore why the Iris is not disintergrated still remains a mystery to me.

The only other explenation i can think of is that the unstable vortex is infact formed several microns infront of the Horizon and is in some way still connected to the same buffer that the event-horizon/energy-field is connected to in order to wipe it. This is certainly possible since obviously an energy buffer as powerful as the one in the stargate would have to be more than a few microns thick not mention possibly connected to it by a middleman superconductor. However if this is the case and the Iris truely prevents the vortex from forming the SGC will be endangering the lives of countless personel alowing their energy signitures to interfere with possible energy signatures of opposite buffer-status. Another inadequecy of this theory is that if Carter's goal in '48-hours' was to establish a wormhole without a vortex then she would have simply closed the Iris engaged the wormhole and opened it to allow Teal'c's un-wiped energy signiture to reintergrate back into matter form through the event-horizon/energy-field. Given what we know of Carter she is too smart to not see such an obvious solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasankoon
          Indeed. Most hand dialers such as the ones used by the Nox, the Asgard and the Ancients (Cassandra's hand device looked Ancient in design) would utilise some other means of wiping the buffer such as by directly tapping into the gates computer systems and wiping the memory banks resulting in nor need for the vortex to be formed. Perhaps the Ancients for some reason deemed it unnsessesary to include such devices in the standard gate networks DHD's. Most likely because so that planets that for some reason or the other had lost there DHD such as Earth a vortex concept is already built into the Gate itself to wipe its buffer every time it is engaged as a safety measure.
          Except that I don't think the vortex has anything directly to do with wiping the buffer, I think it's just part of the same set of safety protocols that are bound up together.
          In '48 Hours' Carter was trying to figure out a way to open the gate without creating a vortex such as how she has seen the Nox and the Asgard do but without wiping the buffer by other means either in order to save Teal'c's energy signiture. This combined with the logical assumtion that the vortex must be directly connected to the event-horizon/energy-field in order to wipe the buffer which is connected to it means that Iris or no Iris the vortex is still formed. Therefore why the Iris is not disintergrated still remains a mystery to me.

The only other explenation i can think of is that the unstable vortex is infact formed several microns infront of the Horizon and is in some way still connected to the same buffer that the event-horizon/energy-field is connected to in order to wipe it. This is certainly possible since obviously an energy buffer as powerful as the one in the stargate would have to be more than a few microns thick not mention possibly connected to it by a middleman superconductor.
          Not if the vortex is formed exactly where the iris is located. In that case, the vortex can't form because the iris is in the way, but that doesn't interfere with wormhole establishment. Then it makes perfect sense why the iris isn't destroyed.

However if this is the case and the Iris truely prevents the vortex from forming the SGC will be endangering the lives of countless personel alowing their energy signitures to interfere with possible energy signatures of opposite buffer-status. Another inadequecy of this theory is that if Carter's goal in '48-hours' was to establish a wormhole without a vortex then she would have simply closed the Iris engaged the wormhole and opened it to allow Teal'c's un-wiped energy signiture to reintergrate back into matter form through the event-horizon/energy-field. Given what we know of Carter she is too smart to not see such an obvious solution.
          Not if the vortex is not, itself, directly responsible for wiping the buffer. If it only occurs simultaneously with the electronic wiping then it would appear that the vortex may be responsible for it when you watch it, but that doesn't mean that it necessarily would be the case. Casualty does not indicate cause.

Obviously without a DHD we have to use the internal programming of the gate and there's probably no way for us to bypass those protocols, or at least we can't do it with our dialing computer.

Comment

But the vortex isthe direct cause of the wiping of the buffer in normal gate protocol as clearly explained by sam in '48 hours'

Comment

my theory is that matter DOES come though on the other side, but when it hits the iris/sheild it knocks the matter back though the event horizion, and because we dont have a two-way wormhole, it would just disintergrate like that.

this theory however it party ruled out becuase, surely the "woosh" would disintergrater the iris

just something to think about

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty Musnud
                According to quantum physics, any effect caused by the creation of a wormhole (including an unstable mass) would occur at the subatomic level, and thus (like Sokar's particle beam) begin the process of disintegration within those first few micrometers.
                But didn't Sam say that the iris was less than two NANOmeters from the event horizon?
                Last edited by Daryl Froggy; 27 February 2006, 12:45 PM.

Comment

No, I'm pretty sure is was micrometers. That's what the omnipedia says too.

Comment

Ok say you opened all gates at once Like they did to wipe out the Replicaters. You are basicly have 1 gate call all the rest in the Network.

Ok the question:
                    So if a human stepped through wouldn't then that person arive at all the planets in the Network Via the Gate? Becasue wouldn't the Data stream be sent to all the gates?

Forgive me i didnt have alot of time to post this. So i didnt take the time to Search.
                    http://www.alteranancients.com/
                    http://www.stargateworldswiki.com/

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. (Adam Savage - Mythbusters.)

Comment

i believe they "jumped the shark" with that one.

I think the body of the unforetunate traveler would be split one piece to each gate...but thats my opinion
                      jake o'niel ".......bite me"

Mythbusters....."I reject your reality and arbitrarily substitute it with my own"

Comment

Depends on how it works, it might be that every gate dials every address, so every gate has an incoming wormhole, meaning that the poor person would be dissintergrated without reintergration. OR they may be copied to all gates, OR the ripped apart thing. We just dont know enough about how it works to know what would happen.
                        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

The Stargate wouldn't allow it. The Ancients were all smart and stuff and would have programmed the gate to behave 'conservatively'. It may not have let anything through, like in Watergate.
                          "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Nearest Gate in the system?

If I'm a writer, that's what I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsDan
                              The Stargate wouldn't allow it. The Ancients were all smart and stuff and would have programmed the gate to behave 'conservatively'. It may not have let anything through, like in Watergate.
                              I will have to go back and watch the episode to be sure but the Episode watergate was and outgoing wormhole. The "Water" would have ben going in the out.

you know what i mean.

Besides didnt Makay say in 38 mins (PJ stuck in Gate) That the intagration prossess will not take affect untill it has all the data. In other words if the Watergate was an incomming it would never intagrate the water becasue the water would never stop entering the Wormhole, at least till the Lake, ocean or what ever was empty. Could you emagin the other out part of the wormhole when all the water was in the gate buffer. The Facility would be under water, in an instant

Well my opinnion would be that the data stream would go to all the gates there for making full copies of you on all the Gate baring worlds.

That would be one hell of a messed up episode. LOL

Please let me know if i have any holes in the idea or my memory for that fact.
                              Last edited by chriswin8; 01 March 2006, 11:39 AM.
                              http://www.alteranancients.com/
                              http://www.stargateworldswiki.com/

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. (Adam Savage - Mythbusters.)

Comment

Originally posted by chriswin8
                                Ok say you opened all gates at once Like they did to wipe out the Replicaters. You are basicly have 1 gate call all the rest in the Network.

Ok the question:
                                So if a human stepped through wouldn't then that person arive at all the planets in the Network Via the Gate? Becasue wouldn't the Data stream be sent to all the gates?

Forgive me i didnt have alot of time to post this. So i didnt take the time to Search.
                                I think I saw another thread similar to this. To answer your question, I think that the gates have safety measures when it comes to that and probably they would only go to one gate out of the network.
                                Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                                Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X